We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)
01 Jun-20:02:10 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
01 Jun-10:24:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-10:21:30 Is malachite rare? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:51:59 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:21:32 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-07:40:50 Re: mineral identification tips (Cascaillou)
31 May-16:04:59 Is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Gk68)
31 May-15:40:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
31 May-15:40:12 Re: is this dolomite-pyrite-siderite? (Gk68)
31 May-09:28:53 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-08:49:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
31 May-07:33:18 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-07:26:07 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (James Catmur)
31 May-06:33:57 Is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
30 May-22:57:14 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
30 May-09:49:21 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
30 May-09:47:37 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
29 May-22:39:04 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 03, 2024 18:20

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The exact location of the Holyoke Trapps?

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities

View previous topic :: View next topic  

simonoff

PostPosted: May 07, 2012 14:26    Post subject: The exact location of the Holyoke Trapps?  

I did some asking around concerning the exact location of this locality: Exceptional find at the Holyoke Trapps. No one I asked could come up with a possible location that is legal to collect. Can you clarify?

Thanks
Bob
Reply to topic Reply with quote

vic rzonca

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 07, 2012 16:20    Post subject: Re: the exact location of the Holyoke Trapps?  

The trapp sheet flows in western MA. cover many square miles with many road cuts, closed quarries and trails that skirt and climb this vast formation. I've been a field collector, rock climber and hiker for 40 years and have had occasion to access unfriendly ground. Let me say the location is south of Mt. Holyoke and north of Provin Mt. . Please understand my reticence, we may not be finished with our work. I would in no way encourage or condone collecting, in as you say, an illegal location. One point about preservation, not enough gets done by quarry owners to preserve our mineralogical history. As a naturalist, there are few things that fire me up more than to get a look at an exposed working quarry face, to be witness to the time and change written there always leaves me amazed. And to consider that this history gets crushed into road iron sit uneasily with me. Thank you for your time.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: May 08, 2012 04:47    Post subject: Re: the exact location of the Holyoke Trapps?  

Hi Vic and hi to everybody!
Vic: why are the conditions of researching minerals in that area so "unfriendly" as you defined them? Is the ground unsafe to be walked through (for example dangerous), or is it simply forbidden to get there and pick minerals up from there? Is it a national park, does this area require special permissions to be got there and pick minerals up...? Please clarify it us! Your specimens are very beautiful!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: May 08, 2012 05:01    Post subject: Re: The exact location of the Holyoke Trapps?  

I separated and created a new thread with this three messages connected with the question of the precise location of the Holyoke Trapps in order to maintain the thread Exceptional find at the Holyoke Trapps related with its primary idea: display such wonderful find.

Thank you to everybody.

vic rzonca

PostPosted: May 09, 2012 11:35    Post subject: Re: The exact location of the Holyoke Trapps?  

To reply to Riccardo's question. Unfriedly ground, in this case, means steep, vertical to overhanging rock with some exposure and accessible only with mountaineering techniques. Original strahler stuff, ropes, biners, aiders, risk of death, all the fun things. All in the pursuit of science and beauty. And - no,no, no and no to the other parts of Riccardo query.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: May 10, 2012 07:56    Post subject: Re: The exact location of the Holyoke Trapps?  

Hi Vic and hi to everybody!
Ok very kind of you, Vic! I hope you didn't get angry for what I wrote before! I just wanted to submit you a simple question! I know not everywhere in the world minerals are allowed to be picked up, expecially if unlimited. If the example of Vic is not among this case it's ok. I think I won't go there if it is so dangerous to be walked over, I am just a collector, not a hero! For example, six years ago Jordi told me something similar about Nortern-Spanish deposits of sphalerite and fluorite (Jordi, do you remember, when we met each other in your home in Barcelona?), where it is required to dive (yes, DIVE!!!) for a while to get there!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

vic rzonca

PostPosted: May 10, 2012 09:12    Post subject: Re: The exact location of the Holyoke Trapps?  

Not at all, Riccardo, but no heroism here, aggressive, passionate, persistent, yes. It's the way I was raised. I'm sure I read of divers collecting datolite nodules in the Great Lakes. Great fun! I'm sure I'm not the first to be vague, part of the hunt. If it was easy, everyone would do it. Thank you, Riccardo, for your kind words.

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: