We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Apr-15:20:53 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Dany Mabillard)
28 Apr-03:14:45 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
27 Apr-20:28:29 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 28, 2024 17:47

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

sirAnthonyKlein

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2012 22:49    Post subject: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

Are you in favor or are you against mining? Tell me your reasons…
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Chris Foltz

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2012 23:21    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

So long as it doesn't destroy the environment I'm all for using natural resources...

GneissWare

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2012 23:51    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

sirAnthonyKlein wrote:

If it can't be grown, it must be mined.

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2012 00:29    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

Most people are content to just be consumers there days. Some of us feel the need to also be producers on some level. Above all else, however, one must take care not to foul the nest in the process.

kieferthora17

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2012 00:55    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

My friends dad died this way, a common event in coal mines is a sudden gas explosion. Such an explosion of a harmful gas can take place when human beings unmindfully put pressure on a weak spot where the gas has an outlet to escape. These explosions are very sudden and do not give enough time to victim to rush to safety. These kinds of explosions cause many injuries every year. Quality, protective clothing can help overcome this risk extent. Sadly his dad did not survive. Since then we made the advocacy ‘no to mining’.

Chris Foltz

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2012 06:00    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

Sorry for your loss, but that's extremely selfish...

Darryl

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2012 07:00    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

Given the quality of conversations that normally occupy this forum I am not sure my comments are relevant but I want to make then anyway because many who read this forum are involved in geology in one way or another and questions such as this seem to come up frequently in public hearings on various projects. My objectives are to show that questions must be carefully phrased to be useful and to perhaps generate some thought and/or discussion on the definition of "mining".

Unless this question belongs to another conversation and is only a fragment thereof, it is a question that can not be logically answered. It is equivalent to asking: Are you in favor of or against - agriculture, drinking water, painting houses, getting married and any number of other equivalent questions. They simply do not have any practical answer. Even the anwer given by one respondent: "If it can't be grown it must be mined" is conditional, it assumes the commodity in question is essential or desired. If the commoditiy to be obtained isn't needed or wanted then there is no need to mine it or grow it.

A more properly phrased question might be: Assuming a commodity is either needed or wanted and can be obtained by mining, are you in favor of or against this particular mine?
at this time?
under these conditions?

To make matters worse the questioner didn't define mining. Three examples show the range of possabilities:

1)The definition of surface mining might be streatched by some to include picking up cobbles from the surface. That isn't an absurd example because it is against the law in a certain state in the U.S. to remove rocks from state parks and I know of one where SOME of the cobbles have enough precious metals in them to be worth over a hundred dollars apiece. On a weekend I could pick up a couple of dozen, make a few quick bucks and no one people would notice the missing stones because for all other intents and purposes they look exactly like those w/o any precious metals. Even if I did ithis for years, the total number of cobbles removed would be in the hundreds out of many many thousands scattered over hundreds of squart miles, most far removed from where visitors normally walk. I doublt hardly anyone would notice and the environment would certainly not be damaged. And if pickup up cobbles isn't quite mining but digging them up would be then is digging up tree stumps mining? Or is mining going to be restricted to situations where a large amount of "waste" material must be moved?

2) If we restrict the definition of mining to removing material from the subsurface then what about leaching of soluble compounds from the subsurface? This has recently been proposed and the mineral rights obtained to several square miles of land near where I live. The total amount of material removed would be a few thousandths of 1% of the total, the material removed highly valuable and all the solutions involved non-toxic and non-polluting as far as I know.

3) And if we stretch example 2 a bit further, is removing water from the subsurface mining? If so there go water wells. drinking water and irrigation water for many many people.

Questions such as this one need definitions and conditions to be meaningfull and usefull in any way. Otherwise they are simply an invitation to an argument. And while I am ont this topic: Is the questioner for against chocolate?

Darryl

Tracy

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2012 09:25    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

What is the connection between the question posed to FMF and the post's subject line? There is no reference to scam prevention in the initial post. Could you please provide some context, ideally the basis for your question?

- Tracy

Susan Robinson

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2012 11:56    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

Mining is okay, as long as it's done responsibly. However, the coal ash and oil sands wastes are examples of toxic messes that are difficult to contain, much less get rid of entirely.
The future of mining may well be focusing on our huge landfills and what we've carelessly thrown away that could have been recycled.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2012 13:24    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

This topic is really a 'cat amongst the pigeons'! A typical case of land 'rape' is the diamond mining companies that operate on the coast of Namibia and some areas in the Western and Northern Cape. If you Google the coastline of Southern Namibia, you will be shocked to see the devastating effect of this greedy 'land-rape'.
To us small miners (my wife and I), the matter is simple; you dig your hole and when you're done, fill it up!

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

fionagriffin17

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2012 21:31    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

sirAnthonyKlein wrote:

Mining is harmful to the environment it is one good and enough reason why we should be against mining.

Chris Foltz

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2012 21:40    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

,& not utilizing a Natural Resource is as bad as wasting a Natural Resource...Luddite...

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2012 21:55    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

Jordi:

This question is so vague as to be useless, and as Tracy posted, misleading considering the subject line. My opinion, for what its worth, is that this thread be locked, or better, deleted.

Darryl

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2012 22:16    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

I agree with Matt's opinion of this tread and his suggestion to lock or delete it.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2012 00:55    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

This thread, as I understand it, directly refers to an article - see link

https://blackhawk-mining.com/2012/11/13/mining-scam-prevention/
(link normlaized by FMF)

I see no reason to close this topic. I just wish the originator supplied a link from the beginning. I also wonder whether he is the same person posting similar topics on a number of other forums.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2012 02:18    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

Matt_Zukowski wrote:
Jordi:

This question is so vague as to be useless, and as Tracy posted, misleading considering the subject line. My opinion, for what its worth, is that this thread be locked, or better, deleted.

Darryl wrote:
I agree with Matt's opinion of this tread and his suggestion to lock or delete it.

Pierre Joubert wrote:
This thread, as I understand it, directly refers to an article - see link

https://blackhawk-mining.com/2012/11/13/mining-scam-prevention/
(link normlaized by FMF)

I see no reason to close this topic. I just wish the originator supplied a link from the beginning. I also wonder whether he is the same person posting similar topics on a number of other forums.

Yes, is a kind of "viral topic" published in many Forums related or vaguely related with mining. I will wait for a while because the contributions of the FMFers are quite interesting, but if the topic "degenerates" or we continue to get a flow of "new members" with just a text line, always the same, I will lock it.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2012 04:02    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

I suspect that we will get lots of one line comments from new members (probably all the same person)

Given that mining includes wells for drinking water it is very hard to be against it, as many people rely on wells for their drinking water. But even that type of mining can be done well or badly - look at how people in the mid west are lowering the water table through their mining and the likely long term effects. So done badly such mining is not good, but when done well it can be.

Now work up from there

James

Tracy

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2012 09:08    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

I find it curious that the originator of this thread posted a question and left us all here to battle amonst ourselves, even when prompted to provide some basis/context. How many posts have swirled around so far? Pierre, thanks for providing the link, but better had it come from SirAnthonyKlein, whoever this person is.

I am not weighing in on the arguments because I feel this is a complex topic with valid points on either side, and I don't lean strongly toward either camp. Mining can be good and it can be bad.

I thinking we're already at or near the "dilution point" on a subject with no easy answer, and am also in favor of locking or deleting this post.

- Tracy

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2012 09:17    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

Tracy wrote:
I find it curious that the originator of this thread posted a question and left us all here to battle amonst ourselves, even when prompted to provide some basis/context. How many posts have swirled around so far? Pierre, thanks for providing the link, but better had it come from SirAnthonyKlein, whoever this person is.

I am not weighing in on the arguments because I feel this is a complex topic with valid points on either side, and I don't lean strongly toward either camp. Mining can be good and it can be bad.

I thinking we're already at or near the "dilution point" on a subject with no easy answer, and am also in favor of locking or deleting this post.

- Tracy

Hi Tracy, it looks like Luis Friend is back with us:-) :-)

Tracy

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2012 09:28    Post subject: Re: Black Hawk Mines: Mining Scam Prevention  

Thanks Pierre, and if so then 'nuff said.

- Tracy

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: