We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
04 Jun-15:27:00 Re: the mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
04 Jun-08:39:41 Re: collection of michael shaw - malachite (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-01:49:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Jordi Fabre)
03 Jun-21:44:21 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)
01 Jun-20:02:10 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
01 Jun-10:24:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-10:21:30 Is malachite rare? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:51:59 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:21:32 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-07:40:50 Re: mineral identification tips (Cascaillou)
31 May-16:04:59 Is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Gk68)
31 May-15:40:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
31 May-15:40:12 Re: is this dolomite-pyrite-siderite? (Gk68)
31 May-09:28:53 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-08:49:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
31 May-07:33:18 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-07:26:07 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (James Catmur)
31 May-06:33:57 Is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 04, 2024 17:18

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Anglesite reaction to Cascade dishwashing detergent

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

John Betts

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2013 19:01    Post subject: Anglesite reaction to Cascade dishwashing detergent  

I routinely wash my minerals in Cascade brand dish-washing detergent.

Recently I noticed that anglesite specimens turn cloudy after a brief soak in diluted Cascade/water solution. The cloudiness appears to be on the surface and it is not a reaction to temperature as the cleaning solution was equal to ambient air temperature.

Attached is an image of the label on Cascade that mentions it contains sodium silicate, sodium carbonate and enzymes.

Does anybody know what the reaction is between these ingredients and anglesite?

More importantly, any suggestions on reversing the reaction?

Thanks,
John Betts

IMAG0680.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  17165 Time(s)

IMAG0680.jpg

alfredo
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2013 20:20    Post subject: Re: Anglesite reaction to Cascade dishwashing detergent  

It might be forming a thin layer of lead carbonate (cerussite) on the surface, in which case it could be removed with hot HCl. But since the surface was altered, it is unlikely that the original luster of the anglesite would return. Might be worth a try anyway.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

lluis

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2013 01:03    Post subject: Re: Anglesite reaction to Cascade dishwashing detergent  

Good morning.

I agree with Alfredo that cloudiness is a surface alteration, but in this case, containing detergent carbonate and silicate, I am pretty sure than layer is a lead silicate.
Diluted clorhidric acid I fear that would do nothing good (lead chloride is insoluble at room temperature, and I doubt that chlorhidric acid affect a lot a lead silicate).

For minerals, I would suggest always to use a non-ionic, not build up, pH 7 detergent.
Just to avoid surprises in the cleaning

With best wishes

Lluís

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2013 01:35    Post subject: Re: Anglesite reaction to Cascade dishwashing detergent  

John,

I'm afraid you can't do nothing else. The Anglesite is an extremely sensitive species and it loose its luster very quick, sometimes just with regular water if it is non ionic and after long time immersions (over one-two hours...)

John Betts

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2013 08:07    Post subject: Re: Anglesite reaction to Cascade dishwashing detergent  

Thank you for confirming what I suspected. I will be more careful in the future.
(This message board is the best! I could not get my question answered anywhere else in such a short time.)

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2013 16:20    Post subject: Re: Anglesite reaction to Cascade dishwashing detergent  

I learned a bit from this (aside from about how not to clean anglesite), because I was totally unfamiliar with "non ionic detergents". But I did a little googling about it, and now I know a little more!

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2013 17:59    Post subject: Re: Anglesite reaction to Cascade dishwashing detergent  

Anglesite is remarkably resistant to acids, even strong ones, but surprisingly it will dissolve in some non-acidic water solutions of salts like ammonium citrate or ammonium acetate. If the cleaners contain ammonia it is possible that the surface is just frosted by etching?

Mark Ost

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 10:59    Post subject: Re: Anglesite reaction to Cascade dishwashing detergent  

That was my understanding of anglesite also. I just finished reading a paper that stated that anglesite, in effect, protected the galena from further alteration. Of course this is in a natural setting without whatever is in cascade.

lluis

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 11:48    Post subject: Re: Anglesite reaction to Cascade dishwashing detergent  

Good afternoon, Alfredo, Mark, List

For solubility of anglesite in what you say non-acidic solutions, I would suggest that ammonium citrate and ammonium acetate solutions are basic. Lead could form plumbates in presence of excess hydroxide ions, and well, if hydroxide ions are there, and oxygen is there, well, some plumbate could be formed. That will produce a slight etching of crystal and the subsequent frosting. Ammonia also produces a basic solution, so would do same.
Not from complexation (complexation would mainly be done by halogenides), but enough to get crystals frosted.

Mark, when galena is oxidized to anglesite, the anglesite protects (at least partially) galena from humidity and oxygen, so, at least transformation to anglesite is retarded.
If you place anglesite in a solution with carbonate and silicate, you place it in a place where plenty of water is able to react, where a lot of hydroxide ions are, and where a lot of carbonate and, worst, silicate ions are: you get lead silicate very quick...

With best wishes

Lluís

lluis

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2013 13:55    Post subject: Re: Anglesite reaction to Cascade dishwashing detergent  

Hi, Pete, Listizens

Sorry for using chemistry names....
I should have placed a google link to explain....
My fault! The chemist in me... :-)

Anyway, cleaning minerals is all but not exactly easy. And with the possibility to get a cleaned piece that is uglier than the uncleaned.... :-(

With best wishes

Lluís

Tom Tucker

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2013 11:30    Post subject: Re: Anglesite reaction to Cascade dishwashing detergent  

As for the "Contents" of the dishwasher deteregent, I believe that kind of listing includes only those ingredients which are required to be noted if they are included on a government (FDA, etc. ???) tabulation. If an ingredient is not included in the government list, it does not have to be noted. Thus, there can be plenty of ingredients in the detergent that we are not informed of, causing further unanticipated reactions. Tom

lluis

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2013 15:04    Post subject: Re: Anglesite reaction to Cascade dishwashing detergent  

Hi, Tom

Well, for what I know from Europe, using REACH you should only list ingredients that are considered hazardous by this rule, and only those are listed. That for industrial products.

But for home used ones, at least in Spain (and I do not think it is the more strict country), I am pretty sure that all ingredients should be listed. And, at least some years before, they should be listed in order of concentration: first the most abundants and following the lesser ones. Then salt is listed (and is not considered hazardous...Even appreciated in cooking... :-) )

But if a thing declares things that are considered dangerous for a type of mineral (e.g.: acetic acid and is intended to clean a carbonate; or a sequestering agent and is used to clean same..., or ammonia for cleaning a iodargirite, or boleite.), better do not use it.

Hope it serves

With best wishes

Lluís

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2013 22:23    Post subject: Re: Anglesite reaction to Cascade dishwashing detergent  

In the US, most commercial products like this have a MSDS, or a material safety data sheet, that lists all sorts of information including composition, bulk properties, etc. In terms of composition, all hazardous components in excess of 1% must be listed (0.1% for carcinogens), and although they do not have to specify the exact percentage of every component in the mixture, they do have to specify the composition information in terms of a range. Sometimes the manufacturer can get away with not listing certain components on their public MSDS if the component is proprietary. In terms of bulk properties, many are usually listed on MSDS.

If you google "MSDS cascade dishwasher detergent sodium silicate, sodium carbonate and enzymes" you get a number of hits, and it seems that this cleaner forms a basic solution with a pH from 9.5 to 11, depending upon the formulation. This type of cleaner is in the class called alkaline detergents, and they can be quite reactive.

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: