We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Apr-15:20:53 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Dany Mabillard)
28 Apr-03:14:45 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
27 Apr-20:28:29 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 28, 2024 23:53

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Possible mineral association

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

alex chaus

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2013 23:00    Post subject: Possible mineral association  

Dear FMF members,
I have got some geological information about prospecting performed 35 years ago in Terskey Range (Tian-Shan mountains, Kyrgyzstan). It was discovered 25 pegmatite veins, three of them came up with analyzes of abnormal high Ce-Li mineralization.
Visual field mineralogical examination result was as follows: light blue feldspar (amazonite type), smoky quarts, violet and blue mica, light white mica (muscovite), schorl tourmaline.
Analyzes results dictated to call that as pollucite – spodumene- lepidolite mineral association.
The question is: could we expect to find colored tourmaline varieties (elbaite, rubellite, polychrome one)?
The site is quite remote and difficult to access (3600-3900 m a.s.l.), so it should be a reason for such a trip.
Any ideas will be very much appreciate.
Alex
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2013 07:08    Post subject: Re: Possible mineral association  

Hi Alex!
I think the best thing you can do is seeing on Mindat site and looking for Kyrgyzystan and Tian Shan. if the deposit is interesting (and for sure it is, according to your description), you will find it easily!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2013 09:12    Post subject: Re: Possible mineral association  

The presence of spodumene, lepidolite and pollucite is in keeping with what one might expect from an LCT-type pegmatite. This suggests that you may have a good chance to find colored tourmaline as well. Schorl temds to turn to elbaite (or other polychrome varieties of tourmaline) in a low iron environment. The presence of other Fe-bearing minerals such as biotite and almandine-spessartine would be negative indicators, but you do not mention these. Whether the pegmatites also have mairolitic cavities is another issue, and perhaps only resolved by field exploration.

alex chaus

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2013 21:13    Post subject: Re: Possible mineral association  

Hi, Riccardo and Jesse!
Thank you for reply. I have already check available geological information about that region. It is quite poor, especially items related to non-ore minerals.
I see the rarity of that mineralization style in simultaneous presence of amazonite and Ce-Li (minor Be) minerals. I hope I have checked mindat.org attentively and found no images of colored tourmalines with amazonite (or vice-versa) in a single specimen.
Published information about amazonite minerals and alteration in former SU area never mentioned colored tourmaline with association with amazonite (as far as I know).
For the Middle Tian-Shan area (in the border of Kyrgyzstan) I know only about one occurrence of polychrome and rubellite tourmaline – Sary-Jazz region (rick cassiterite deposit in altered pegmatite or greizen rock with amazonite), Sughoi Dol massif – but for that particular place amazonite was found about 10 km aside with lepidolite (rich), albite, quarts (common), no shorl.
So, presence of shorl and amazonite makes me a little bit concern.
Alex

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2013 23:47    Post subject: Re: Possible mineral association  

To my experience, the occurrence of amazonite is more typical of NYF type pegmatites (for example, the Pike's Peak area of Colorado), which rarely have colored tourmaline (elbaite, etc), or for that matter, other Li-bearing minerals. Topaz and/or beryl are sometimes associated, however. If you have reports of both amazonite and Li-bearing minerals, I think some serious fieldwork is in order. Not always the most economical recommendation for such a remote local, but maybe the only option.

alex chaus

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2013 00:23    Post subject: Re: Possible mineral association  

Jesse Fisher wrote:
To my experience, the occurrence of amazonite is more typical of NYF type pegmatites (for example, the Pike's Peak area of Colorado), which rarely have colored tourmaline (elbaite, etc), or for that matter, other Li-bearing minerals...

Was it actually found some colored tourmalines in association with amazonite at Pike's Peak deposit?
How rare if it was a case?
Alex

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2013 09:37    Post subject: Re: Possible mineral association  

I've never seen one.

Steve Maslansky

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2013 11:11    Post subject: Re: Possible mineral association  

I have been doing geological and geochemical work in the Pikes Peak batholith for a few years, particularly in the Lake George Ring Complex. The presence of schorl in the amazonite bearing pegs is very rare and found as small crystals in the microcline. I have never seen colored elbaite. The only reference to elbaite being found in the area, that I have knowledge of, is the Foord-Martin paper (MR, Dec 1979) which reported "schorl-elbaite in needle-like aggregates as much as a 1 cm or more in length...color is black to blue-green." Pearl reported large tourmaline "suns' from the Royal Gorge area but these are not associated with amazonite bearing pegmatites.

alex chaus

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2013 20:52    Post subject: Re: Possible mineral association  

Is it possible that normal LCT- type pegmatites were effected by later amazonite alteration superposed? If so, could colored tourmaline be changed to shorl?
Many evidences tell about multi-stage complicated process of those pegmatite formation. On the geologic map there are some later intrusions shown after original pre-Cambrian one in the close neighborhood.

Steve Maslansky

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2013 18:05    Post subject: Re: Possible mineral association  

I am not sure if your last comment was referring to the geological map for your Kyrgyzstan site or for the Pikes Peak batholith. If you are talking about Colorado then yes there were some later stage stocks that were intruded both internally and marginally into the larger batholith. Several of these smaller plutons are of a different composition, sodic versus potassic. The pegs are younger still, and are miarolitic, NYF-Rare Earth Element, typical of A-type granitic systems. That said you could be dealing with a mixed NYF and LCT system where fluid contamination is bringing in Li and B. I find it interesting your mentioning of pollucite, which indicates a highly fractionated LCT pegmatite. You may want to check with Dr. David London, pegmatite expert at University of Oklahoma (dlondon(at)ou(dor)edu) to see if elbaite and amazonite can occur together. I sure would like to see one of those.

alex chaus

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2013 20:55    Post subject: Re: Possible mineral association  

Steve Maslansky wrote:
I am not sure if your last comment was referring to the geological map for your Kyrgyzstan site or for the Pikes Peak batholith. If you are talking about Colorado then yes there were some later stage stocks that were intruded both internally and marginally into the larger batholith. Several of these smaller plutons are of a different composition, sodic versus potassic. The pegs are younger still, and are miarolitic, NYF-Rare Earth Element, typical of A-type granitic systems. That said you could be dealing with a mixed NYF and LCT system where fluid contamination is bringing in Li and B. I find it interesting your mentioning of pollucite, which indicates a highly fractionated LCT pegmatite. You may want to check with Dr. David London, pegmatite expert at University of Oklahoma to see if elbaite and amazonite can occur together. I sure would like to see one of those.

Steve,
thanks a lot for your very valuable comment and suggestion!
I mentioned geological map of Terskey Alatoo (Range) and it looks like quite similar to Pikes Peaek geological development. Watching images on mindat.org i can say that amazonite alteration process was not so intensively expressed at Terskey Range because amazonite mineral color is very light at Terskey in comparison with Colorado one(clear sharp).
An idea to communicate with pegmatite expert looks good but how to do that? Do you think my problem could be interesting for Dr. David London?

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2013 00:04    Post subject: Re: Possible mineral association  

Have you, in fact, confirmed that the mineral in question is amazonite (blue/green microcline) and not a bluish variety of albite? Albite (cleavelandite habit) is a major constituent of LCT type pegmatites and can sometimes have a distinctly blue color. This would be more in keeping with the presence of lepidolite, spodumene and pollucite. What are the other associated minerals?

Another recommendation would be contacting Dr. Skip Simmons of University of New Orleans. He has considerable field experience with LCT type pegmatites from a number of locations including Maine and Madagascar.

alex chaus

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2013 00:47    Post subject: Re: Possible mineral association  

Jesse Fisher wrote:
Have you, in fact, confirmed that the mineral in question is amazonite (blue/green microcline) and not a bluish variety of albite? Albite (cleavelandite habit) is a major constituent of LCT type pegmatites and can sometimes have a distinctly blue color. This would be more in keeping with the presence of lepidolite, spodumene and pollucite. What are the other associated minerals?

Another recommendation would be contacting Dr. Skip Simmons of University of New Orleans. He has considerable field experience with LCT type pegmatites from a number of locations including Maine and Madagascar.

Jesse, thank you very much for advise. I will try if you give me E-mail.
I can not confirm if a mineral is clevelandite or amazonite. I have only information from the official geological report and spectra-analyzes data. Your idea about clevelandite looks possible especially in given association but as far as I know light amazonite is known for that region (I personally collected it) and clevelandite is unusual.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: