We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 27, 2024 05:36

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Switch the Women's Private Collections topic?

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Carles Millan
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2008 12:23    Post subject: Switch the Women's Private Collections topic?  

Hi Gail!

You have a really great collection. It's been a pleasure to look at your photos posted in the forum and I think you must have much more at home. Please, allow us to see all of them.

I can't see, however, any reason to keep the women's collections separated from the men's. It's not time now of discriminating anything for being male or female. As you may know, the forum has recently opened a specific section to publish collection photos, any gender. I encourage you to move there. Be sure your photos would be really welcome.

Carles Millan
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tracy

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2008 12:38    Post subject: Re: Switch the Women's Private Collections topic?  

I had the same thought last week, actually...I would be happy to merge our collections with the others, though would still like to be able to share thoughts about my specimens and ask questions about them (rather than just show pictures). I've learned a great deal so far.

- Tracy

Tracy

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2008 12:39    Post subject: Re: Switch the Women's Private Collections topic?  

And Carles, I hope you enjoy seeing MY specimens too... :-)

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2008 12:44    Post subject: Re: Switch the Women's Private Collections topic?  

Carles,

Gail started the Women's Private Collections topic as a place where female could publish their favorite specimens. The idea is not bad at all in order to create a different topic to others already created in other Fora.

Gail she's the moderator of this particular topic and she worked hard and well. I don't know if Gail and Tracy prefer to be in a so not exclusive space and join the "Collection images" topic. If yes, for me would be fine, but if they prefer to keep and stay in the Women's Private Collections topic, also it would be fine for me.

Both topics are pretty young, we can also see how both develop and then decide something. Again, I'm fine for everything...

Jordi

Tracy

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2008 13:19    Post subject: Re: Switch the Women's Private Collections topic?  

I'll wait to hear from Gail, but expanding on my original response: The two topics have very different styles. In the "Collection Photos" section that Carles moderates, there are just photos. In the Women's Collection section, Gail and I have used our threads to talk about our specimens and to learn about them. I don't want to switch to just a photo exhibit of my specimens. At the same time, I don't object outright to switching to Carles' topic. Jordi knows from my emails last week that I am basically undecided.

The intention of having an area/opportunity for women to show their collections is a good and important one, even though only Gail and I have contributed so far. It would be great if other women would start sharing pictures and thoughts about their collections. The conversational style of my existing topic suits me, and I'm not sure how the two styles could be combined smoothly. I agree with Jordi that maybe we should let both topics develop a bit more...what are your thoughts Gail?

Gail

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2008 13:42    Post subject: Re: Switch the Women's Private Collections topic?  

Since I have a guest editorial in the Jan/Feb issue of the Mineralogical Record, and am a guest speaker about women and mineral collecting in Rochester, New York as well as being the moderator of the Women's forum for minerals on Mindat, I think I will keep this section going, but also inviting other women in to join Tracy and myself.
I don't see a problem as anyone is welcome to see our minerals here, so there is no loss of a chance to visit. We have actually removed some offensive postings on this Women's private collections so it seems to me that, although we would like to think otherwise, there still is some issue with women in the very male dominated mineral world.
I have found that the gentlemen who regularly contribute to this forum are, indeed, wonderful and have enjoyed the way things have been. I have nothing but the utmost respect for all of you.
I also respect Tracy for finding her way here too. My women's forum on Mindat has grown to an exceptional level and most of them also post on all the other threads. But whether you know it or not, there is still abuse of women mostly by those who wish to remain anonymous. It has really scared some women off of the public forums and websites, and that is just something I cannot believe can happen in 2008!
My intention is to be supportive of ALL mineral enthusiasts, but I do take pride in encouraging women to step up and be heard, and in this case...seen.
Thanks for your suggestions, but I wish to keep this small area of Jordi's site available to women. Perhaps we will not see a need for it in a few years, that would be my desire.
Happy Holidays everyone, keep on "rockin' !!!! "

Gail Spann and a few bikes.jpg
 Description:
Me and my "OTHER" collection...
 Viewed:  16207 Time(s)

Gail Spann and a few bikes.jpg

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2008 06:28    Post subject: Re: Switch the Women's Private Collections topic?  

Hi Tracy!

I did look at your collection too. I liked specially the beryl from Pakistan. It seems from Chumar Bakhoor rather than from Shigar Valley, but I know it's quite unsure to state this. I also liked the pyrite from Santa Eulalia and the dioptase from Congo. And of course, your cat!

Carles Millan

Linda St-Cyr

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2009 21:08    Post subject: Re: Switch the Women's Private Collections topic?  

Gail - Maybe you should not remove the offensive postings - when I gave a presentation and was attacked by one such person, everyone else in the room came to my support. I don't know if the attacker changed his mind, but it may have given him something else to chew on.

Linda Smith

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2009 01:16    Post subject: Re: Switch the Women's Private Collections topic?  

Regarding the Women's Private Collections topic, I am more comfortable posting to this forum as there is a feeling of inclusiveness here. Where I enjoy seeing the other collections, I am encourage by what I see on a women's forum and hopefully it will encourage other women collectors to edge out into the forum. Thank you Jordi for supporting us and Gail for moderating and being there.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2009 16:38    Post subject: Re: Switch the Women's Private Collections topic?  

My pleasure Linda (Smith)

Linda (St-Cyr): Gail don't deleted those messages, I did it, not due the texts (I could agree some of the ideas expressed there) but by the intention and the tone, very aggressive and with the clear intention to hurt.

I'm moderator also in the Spanish forum and I do the same there when some messages try to start a battle. Write texts, publish images, revise them is a serious work and a gift for all of us when someone do it. I should keep clear the atmosphere in both forums to permit everybody to enjoy their visit. Life is too nice to waste it creating inutile and unnecessary wars.

Jordi

Linda Smith

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2009 16:45    Post subject: Re: Switch the Women's Private Collections topic?  

Jordi,
Yo tambien hablo espanol.

Linda St-Cyr

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2009 16:53    Post subject: Re: Switch the Women's Private Collections topic?  

Yes, I guess you're right, Jordi. I hear that some forums do end up degenerating into mud-slinging, and we certainly don't want that happening here. Let's keep our doors and our minds open to all the beauty in the world, especially in minerals and in the people who enjoy them, hoping we can eventually reach everyone.

Tracy

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2009 20:35    Post subject: Re: Switch the Women's Private Collections topic?  

Hey Linda S-C, will we being seeing some photos of YOUR favorite specimens soon? :-)

- Tracy

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: