We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw
 

Spanish message board






Newest topics and users posts
16 Nov-20:37:19 Re: unsure of mineral or stone, found in northeastern colorado (Tom Tucker)
16 Nov-18:34:09 Re: unsure of mineral or stone, found in northeastern colorado (Bob Carnein)
16 Nov-17:54:47 Re: worm casings? fossilized? (Stumptownjoe)
16 Nov-17:33:07 Re: worm casings? fossilized? (Vic Rzonca)
16 Nov-17:19:45 Re: worm casings? fossilized? (Stumptownjoe)
16 Nov-17:02:11 Re: worm casings? fossilized? (Vic Rzonca)
16 Nov-16:42:42 Re: unsure of mineral or stone, found in northeastern colorado (Sante Celiberti)
16 Nov-16:02:54 Re: worm casings? fossilized? (Stumptownjoe)
16 Nov-16:00:09 Worm casings? fossilized? (Stumptownjoe)
16 Nov-14:07:00 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Ploum)
16 Nov-13:40:31 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
16 Nov-12:34:46 Re: collection of fiebre verde - chivor (#748) (Fiebre Verde)
16 Nov-12:22:22 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
16 Nov-12:22:09 Re: unsure of mineral or stone , found in northeastern colorado (Bob Harman)
16 Nov-10:22:29 Re: unsure of mineral or stone , found in northeastern colorado (Jesshaley)
16 Nov-09:20:56 Re: unsure of mineral or stone , found in northeastern colorado (Kevin Conroy)
16 Nov-08:56:49 Re: unsure of mineral or stone , found in northeastern colorado (Bob Carnein)
16 Nov-08:19:53 Re: collection of tobi (Jordi Fabre)
16 Nov-08:12:53 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
16 Nov-08:08:18 Re: unsure of mineral or stone , found in northeastern coloradi (Bob Harman)
16 Nov-07:33:16 Re: unsure of mineral or stone , found in northeastern coloradi (Sante Celiberti)
16 Nov-07:15:40 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
16 Nov-07:04:50 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
16 Nov-05:52:35 Re: unsure of mineral or stone , found in northeastern coloradi (Bob Harman)
16 Nov-04:45:08 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here


RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

Like
59948


The time now is Nov 16, 2019 23:34

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Questions regarding Collections' photos
  
  Index -> Forum questions
Like
10


View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Tiffanie




Joined: 13 Jun 2019
Posts: 8
Location: Seattle, WA


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2019 06:19    Post subject: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

I've spent far too much time browsing through all of the collections threads, and I'd like to eventually start my own. A few questions:

1) The only camera I own is an iPhone 6. I'm assuming many pictures are taken using some sort of lighting set-up, backdrops, etc. due to how professional they look. Will the photo quality from my iPhone be acceptable, and should I be using a consistent backdrop? (I'm all over the place as a grad student and tend to take pictures whenever I have time.)

2) I know the rules mention that any mineral specimen is fine, but honestly: will I be ridiculed for posting pictures of the more basic, imperfect specimens I have? I've only been collecting for a very short time (and the beginning was spent buying every crystal that looked pretty to me), and being in school + not knowing a single person who collects minerals really puts a damper on me achieving my "dream collection".

Thank you :)
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
   

Bob Harman




Joined: 06 Nov 2015
Posts: 601
Location: Indiana


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2019 07:13    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Hi tar4ntula, Interesting questions!

I won't talk about photography other than to say use a neutral simple background that compliments each of your specimens. Also check the photo quality before posting it.

Your second question is actually much more involved and lots could be said. Firstly let me give you my experience. I have a largely very focused collection, much of which is Indiana minerals and much of which is self-collected. I prefer to post them on the "mineralogical trip thru the states of the USA" thread rather than collections thread.

With that as a background here are my thoughts and some personal opinions.

If your collection is self-collected any quality examples should be posted, but if your examples are bought or otherwise acquired, I favor only better quality examples being posted.
However, if your bought posted examples are from a very specific locality where certain minerals only are found in lesser quality examples or if you post reference examples which might only be found in lesser quality specimens, than those might be specific reasons to post lesser quality specimens.

I personally don't spend much online time looking at routine lesser quality examples with no redeeming reasons to post them. However, quality and beauty are subjective and in the eye of the beholder.........

My reference examples from Indiana include low quality specimens, but each has a very specific point to make such as a very rarely found mineral which, in Indiana, only exists in low quality specimens. These have been posted, otherwise I prefer to only post my self-collected and bought display quality examples.

That is my philosophy of posting mineral photos; I am sure others will have other opinions. Hope my thoughts are of help to you. BOB
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
   

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 4364
Location: Barcelona


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2019 07:30    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

tar4ntula wrote:
I've spent far too much time browsing through all of the collections threads, and I'd like to eventually start my own. A few questions:

1) The only camera I own is an iPhone 6. I'm assuming many pictures are taken using some sort of lighting set-up, backdrops, etc. due to how professional they look. Will the photo quality from my iPhone be acceptable, and should I be using a consistent backdrop? (I'm all over the place as a grad student and tend to take pictures whenever I have time.)

2) I know the rules mention that any mineral specimen is fine, but honestly: will I be ridiculed for posting pictures of the more basic, imperfect specimens I have? I've only been collecting for a very short time (and the beginning was spent buying every crystal that looked pretty to me), and being in school + not knowing a single person who collects minerals really puts a damper on me achieving my "dream collection"...


First of all I think it would be best to choose another name instead of "tar4ntula" so that we could address you in a more comfortable way.

On how to take pictures you have an extraordinary guide of Xiao-dong in FMF: Tutorial to do better photos of minerals by Xiao-dong

About which photos to publish and which ones do not, I think that these explanations of the same Forum explains it well: How does "Collection Photos" work?

Regards
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
   

R Saunders




Joined: 28 Jul 2018
Posts: 59
Location: Michigan


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2019 12:33    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
tar4ntula wrote:
I've spent far too much time browsing through all of the collections threads, and I'd like to eventually start my own. A few questions:

1) The only camera I own is an iPhone 6. I'm assuming many pictures are taken using some sort of lighting set-up, backdrops, etc. due to how professional they look. Will the photo quality from my iPhone be acceptable, and should I be using a consistent backdrop? (I'm all over the place as a grad student and tend to take pictures whenever I have time.)

2) I know the rules mention that any mineral specimen is fine, but honestly: will I be ridiculed for posting pictures of the more basic, imperfect specimens I have? I've only been collecting for a very short time (and the beginning was spent buying every crystal that looked pretty to me), and being in school + not knowing a single person who collects minerals really puts a damper on me achieving my "dream collection"...


First of all I think it would be best to choose another name instead of "tar4ntula" so that we could address you in a more comfortable way.

On how to take pictures you have an extraordinary guide of Xiao-dong in FMF: Tutorial to do better photos of minerals by Xiao-dong

About which photos to publish and which ones do not, I think that these explanations of the same Forum explains it well: How does "Collection Photos" work?

Regards


Excellent photos however the last up date to posts were in 2014. Not sure if I should ask why, or posting elsewhere? I too am an advocate for tripods and now LED daylight lighting. Although my phone does not seem to stay mounted on one.
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
   

Tiffanie




Joined: 13 Jun 2019
Posts: 8
Location: Seattle, WA


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2019 16:15    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Good call on the username! I'm so used to using tar4ntula for everything online that I didn't even realize I hadn't used my name.

I see that the rules state that any specimen is acceptable, as long as it's not massive, polished, or purposely altered. Good thing I've long since made the switch to be fully specimen focused and haven't looked back! I asked the 2nd question mainly due to the comments I have seen on some identification requests that I would deem to be unnecessarily rude. Compared to the majority of users on this forum, I am still very much a beginner, and I don't want to waste my time posting specimens that I love just to have others put me down or vocally perceive them as boring. But, as Bob said above, beauty is subjective! Definitely doesn't help that my phone is almost half a decade old ;) I will do my best to entertain.
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
   

Tiffanie




Joined: 13 Jun 2019
Posts: 8
Location: Seattle, WA


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2019 16:17    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Ah, crap. Just realized I can't edit my username. I'll definitely make a new account as soon as I begin posting more frequently.
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
   

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 4364
Location: Barcelona


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2019 01:56    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

tar4ntula wrote:
Ah, crap. Just realized I can't edit my username. I'll definitely make a new account as soon as I begin posting more frequently.

No way 😉 please don't do that... Please let us know the new name you want to use and I will change it for you.
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
   

Joseph DOliveira




Joined: 29 Jan 2012
Posts: 209
Location: Hanmer, Ontario


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2019 08:52    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

I'll jump into the discussion on what you should post and not post on the collectors page.

Quoting Jordi from a previous post.

"Please do not publish commercial photos, or repeated specimens. Like a collection displayed in show cases, this forum aims to be a place for people to exhibit the most representative pieces of their collection. They do not need to be great specimens or high quality images, just ones that represent the style of your collection (but at least crystallized specimens)"

"They can be collections that are private, public, institutional or whatever, and they can be photos of some specimens or photos of all the specimens in the collection. The only condition is that they are from a collection (and are not massive specimens ;-)"


It is not up to me or anyone else in the forum to decide whether a specimen in your collection is worthy of posting or not. If a specimen fits the criteria above, is representative of your collection, be it novice or advanced and you are willing to share it with the group, feel free to post it. If someone finds it boring or unappealing, they have the option not to view it or comment on it. Just my personal opinion.

Joseph

tar4ntula wrote:
Good call on the username! I'm so used to using tar4ntula for everything online that I didn't even realize I hadn't used my name.

I see that the rules state that any specimen is acceptable, as long as it's not massive, polished, or purposely altered. Good thing I've long since made the switch to be fully specimen focused and haven't looked back! I asked the 2nd question mainly due to the comments I have seen on some identification requests that I would deem to be unnecessarily rude. Compared to the majority of users on this forum, I am still very much a beginner, and I don't want to waste my time posting specimens that I love just to have others put me down or vocally perceive them as boring. But, as Bob said above, beauty is subjective! Definitely doesn't help that my phone is almost half a decade old ;) I will do my best to entertain.

_________________
Joseph D'Oliveira
Hanmer, Ontario
Canada
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
6
   

Tobi




Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 3137
Location: Good Old Germany


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2019 04:53    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Joseph DOliveira wrote:
It is not up to me or anyone else in the forum to decide whether a specimen in your collection is worthy of posting or not. If a specimen fits the criteria above, is representative of your collection, be it novice or advanced and you are willing to share it with the group, feel free to post it. If someone finds it boring or unappealing, they have the option not to view it or comment on it. Just my personal opinion. Joseph
True words, Joseph! This may be a personal opinion - but it should also be a guideline for the community; and I think it already is :-)

And @ the Lady behind "tar4ntula", I will also encourage you like Joseph did: We all enjoy fine minerals, that's why we are here and that's why Jordi once founded this forum. But what level is "fine"? No one will have an answer to this, the love for minerals is too individual - and that's good! I love my collection and I read several comments in my collection thread that other members also like my specimens. But I can not compete with the level of many others here, there are no four- or five-digit-priced specimens in my collection, nevertheless it's a quite good one I think. So don't hesitate to show your collection here, no matter how "fine" the specimens may be. But of course don't forget what was mentioned: It should be natural and crystallized minerals, not polished stuff or massive rocks ;-)
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
1
   

Michael Shaw
Site Admin



Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1455
Location: Oklahoma


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2019 14:05    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Hi Tiffanie,

Welcome to the forum; I hope you will find it enjoyable and educational place to browse for a few minutes or several hours. I look forward to seeing some photos of your collection. Your iPhone is capable of taking some pretty good photos. A daylight bulb in an ordinary desk lamp is often sufficient to light the subject. Just remember, the mineral specimen is the "star" of the show, so always try to use a neutral background so as not to distract from the subject.

Since you indicated that you would like to change your username to your real name, I would be happy to do that for you. Would you like me to change your username to "Tiffanie" Just let me know.

Cheers,
Michael
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
1
   

Richard Arseneau




Joined: 17 Sep 2017
Posts: 87
Location: Eastern Canada


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2019 21:07    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Tiffanie, I will give you my opinion on this subject. In the past, I was marginally successful fine art photographer. Long story short, I sold my camera equipment to help support my family while returning to school. When I started collecting minerals and found this forum it took me a long time to post a photo. Every photo I have posted was taken with a Samsung Galaxy 7. The specimens may not be of interest to many, but they are are all special to my wife and me. No one has ever rebuked me for posting something that isn't interesting to them or critiqued me on the photography.

From what I have read of your posts you seem to be an intelligent and thoughtful person. I am sure that if you find something in your collection special to you, others will agree. You can't please everyone and as others have said, no one is forced to view your posts. I for one look forward to seeing your collection.

Richard
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
2
   

Tiffanie




Joined: 13 Jun 2019
Posts: 8
Location: Seattle, WA


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2019 23:41    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Michael,

A name change to Tiffanie would be fantastic. Thanks for offering to help!
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
   

Michael Shaw
Site Admin



Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1455
Location: Oklahoma


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2019 10:50    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Tiffanie wrote:
Michael,

A name change to Tiffanie would be fantastic. Thanks for offering to help!


Hi Tiffanie,

I have changed your username as requested. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Michael
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
   
Display posts from previous:   
   Index -> Forum questions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
    

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


All pictures, text, design © Forum FMF 2006-2019


Powered by FMF