We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 26, 2024 17:04

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Silvia's Collection
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
  Index -> Women's Private Collections

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Robert Seitz

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2022 10:52    Post subject: Re: Silvia's Collection  

I look forward to details of your story re setting up and using 3D printer for mineral bases.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

silvia

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2022 17:37    Post subject: Deardorff mine, Illinois - Silvia's Collection  

The specimen contains a grouping of lustrous Galena crystals 6 cm on edge set on large lustrous black crystals of Sphalerite and accented nicely with sparkling colorless gemmy Quartz.

01 - GALENA DDM 1.jpg
 Mineral: Galena, Quartz, Sphalerite
 Locality:
W.L. Davis-Deardorff Mine, Ozark-Mahoning group, Cave-in-Rock Sub-District, Hardin County, Illinois, USA
 Dimensions: 15 cm x 13 cm x 7 cm
 Description:
Display side
 Viewed:  13242 Time(s)

01 - GALENA DDM 1.jpg

02 - GALENA DDM 1.jpg
 Locality:
W.L. Davis-Deardorff Mine, Ozark-Mahoning group, Cave-in-Rock Sub-District, Hardin County, Illinois, USA
 Description:
Another view
 Viewed:  13223 Time(s)

02 - GALENA DDM 1.jpg

03 - DDM 1.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Matrix view. Often this view tells you a lot about how the display view was born.
 Viewed:  13219 Time(s)

03 - DDM 1.jpg

04 - DDMINE 1.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Details of the crystals view 1
 Viewed:  13196 Time(s)

04 - DDMINE 1.jpg

05 - DDMINE 2.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the crystals view 2
 Viewed:  13251 Time(s)

05 - DDMINE 2.jpg

06 - DDMINE 3.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the crystals view 3
 Viewed:  13236 Time(s)

06 - DDMINE 3.jpg

07 - DDMINE 4.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the crystals view 4.
 Viewed:  13221 Time(s)

07 - DDMINE 4.jpg

LOCALITY PICTURE 1.jpg
 Mineral: -
 Locality:
 Description:
Location based on GPS. If anyone has locality photos of the mine inside and or outside please share. I do enjoy my locality photos as it add an enormous dimension to the mineral collection.
 Viewed:  13243 Time(s)

LOCALITY PICTURE 1.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2022 03:53    Post subject: Re: Deardorff mine, Illinois - Silvia's Collection  

Hi Silvia, again it's a pleasure to see your contribution here! As usual, you give further information, detailed description, an aerial photo of the locality, I really like that and I know I'm not the only one here ;-)
silvia wrote:
Location based on GPS. If anyone has locality photos of the mine inside and or outside please share. I do enjoy my locality photos as it add an enormous dimension to the mineral collection.
I agree with you, photos of a mine's surroundings, of the inside and maybe even of the mining process add a great dimension to a specimen. I always enjoyed to see photos or videos of specimen mining and I've seen some great stuff (e.g. from Elmwood, from Rogerley, from Chinese fluorite mines, from the crocoite mining in Tasmania, from Pederneira and other Brazilian pegmatites, from vanadinite mining in Morocco, from the outstanding rhodochrosite finds at Sweet Home Mine and several others). But I think I've never seen footage from the Deardorff Mine. So if anyone has some photos of it, I would also love to see them!

And concerning the specimen:
silvia wrote:
The specimen contains a grouping of lustrous Galena crystals 6 cm on edge set on large lustrous black crystals of Sphalerite and accented nicely with sparkling colorless gemmy Quartz.
You may know that galena, quartz and sphalerite are among my favourite minerals, so you can guess what's my opinion on this piece ;-) Lovely combination of the two sulfides in silvery and black with a dominant galena cluster on top, brightened up by the many white and lustrous quartzes and completed by the reddish sphalerite matrix. And the overall shape is very aesthetic. This sample from your collection shows that you and your husband don't just gather or collect minerals - you CHOOSE them!

For my personal taste this is a perfect mineral specimen :-)

Regards
Tobi

silvia

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2022 17:28    Post subject: Re: Deardorff mine, Illinois - Silvia's Collection  

Tobi wrote:
Hi Silvia, again it's a pleasure to see your contribution here! As usual, you give further information, detailed description, an aerial photo of the locality, I really like that and I know I'm not the only one here ;-)
silvia wrote:
Location based on GPS. If anyone has locality photos of the mine inside and or outside please share. I do enjoy my locality photos as it adds an enormous dimension to the mineral collection.
I agree with you, photos of a mine's surroundings, of the inside and maybe even of the mining process add a great dimension to a specimen. I always enjoyed seeing photos or videos of specimen mining and I've seen some great stuff (e.g. from Elmwood, from Rogerley, from Chinese fluorite mines, from the crocoite mining in Tasmania, from Pederneira and other Brazilian pegmatites, from vanadinite mining in Morocco, from the outstanding rhodochrosite finds at Sweet Home Mine and several others). But I think I've never seen footage from the Deardorff Mine. So, if anyone has some photos of it, I would also love to see them!

And concerning the specimen:
silvia wrote:
You may know that galena, quartz and sphalerite are among my favourite minerals, so you can guess what's my opinion on this piece ;-) Lovely combination of the two sulfides in silvery and black with a dominant galena cluster on top, brightened up by the many white and lustrous quartzes and completed by the reddish sphalerite matrix. And the overall shape is very aesthetic. This sample from your collection shows that you and your husband don't just gather or collect minerals - you CHOOSE them!

For my personal taste this is a perfect mineral specimen :-)

Regards
Tobi

Many thanks for your kind words. The sulphides are our favourite minerals too.

My partner and I have a lot of help selecting and acquiring minerals. We have three adult sons, and one adult daughter who provide encouragement and sometimes the money to buy specimens too. Our children do not collect minerals (yet!) but they know the importance of collecting and curating.

We collect the biggest and the best we can afford. Sometimes we have to save, however thrift is a skill we have developed well.

Every collector has their particular emphasis; for us, we try and avoid buying minerals just for the sake of buying a mineral. We try to develop themes, especially when we can combine minerals with a locality, as was the case with our Panasqueira collection.

In a very real sense we not only collect minerals but we also collect the mines. Thus we combine the minerals we collect with the geology, the geography, the history and the mining methods of a particular locality. We have some great contributions to make to FMF in the coming months with some beautiful mineral photos and some great and detailed locality information.

silvia

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2022 16:55    Post subject: Native Copper - Silvia's Collection  

A fine large cabinet cluster of crystallized native copper without matrix. The specimen contains many Spinel twinned Copper crystals.

01 - RMC1.jpg
 Mineral: Copper
 Locality:
Rocklands Mine, Cloncurry, Cloncurry Shire, Queensland, Australia
 Dimensions: 16 cm x 16 cm x 5 cm
 Description:
Display view
 Viewed:  13000 Time(s)

01 - RMC1.jpg

02 - RCM1.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Rear View
 Viewed:  13004 Time(s)

02 - RCM1.jpg

03 - RMC1.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the crystals
 Viewed:  13006 Time(s)

03 - RMC1.jpg

04 - RMC1.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the crystals
 Viewed:  13002 Time(s)

04 - RMC1.jpg

05 - RMC1.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the crystals
 Viewed:  13005 Time(s)

05 - RMC1.jpg

06 -RMC1.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the crystals
 Viewed:  12977 Time(s)

06 -RMC1.jpg

07 - ROCKLANDS COPPER MINE REGIONAL.jpg
 Mineral: _
 Locality:
 Description:
It was created here!
 Viewed:  13015 Time(s)

07 - ROCKLANDS COPPER MINE REGIONAL.jpg

silvia

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2022 17:33    Post subject: Rocklands Copper Mine - Silvia's Collection  

The Rocklands Copper Mine

I first became aware of this deposit way back in 2013, when a friend in the mining industry pointed out that a deposit consisting largely of Native Copper had been discovered near Mt Isa in Queensland, Australia. He had visited the mine twice in 2013, and had seen first-hand crystalline Copper nuggets exceeding 200 kilograms. He had also seen large aggregates of native Copper associated with sooty Tenorite. By large he meant 6 feet long or more. He had also seen specimens of crystallized Chalcocite associated with Calcite.

The only reason few specimens from the mine had been seen for sale is the mechanized nature of the mine and the no collecting policy of the original owners. A British company, UK mining ventures did a specimen recovery program in 2017, shortly before the mine was closed by the legal mandate of the Queensland Mines Department.

Had this mine been discovered in the 1800’s and worked by conventional mining methods of the day – hand picks and drives – specimens from the mine would be in the collections of some of the finest Museums in the world and in the collections of astute mineral collectors. I saw one spinel twinned Copper crystal from the mine 160 mm long by 30 mm wide.

The mine still has a lot of collector quality native Copper, Chalcocite and Chalcopyrite left, as the ore-body is so extensive in length and depth.

silvia

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2022 17:52    Post subject: Another Mine Report by Silvia's  

Rockland Copper Project

The Rockland copper project is located approximately 17km west of Cloncurry in north-west Queensland, Australia. Originally owned by CuDECO, the 1,600ha mine has been in receivership since 2020 with outstanding liabilities of over 60 million Australian dollars. Copper Resources Australia took over the troubled site in December 2020, more than two years after operations were suspended under former owner CuDeco, which went into liquidation in May 2020.

High grade copper ore consisting chiefly of Native Copper and Chalcocite were extracted from two mineralized bodies: Rocklands South and Las Minerale.

Las Minerale and Rocklands South - contain a unique supergene-enriched zone, characterised by pervasive high-grade Coarse Native Copper and associated Chalcocite ore, which persists from near-surface to depths of 180m, widths up to 45m. The combined native copper/supergene zone strike length exceeds 1200m.

Copper mineralogy at Rocklands is dominated by:

• Oxide zone (minor): Malachite, Azurite, Tenorite and Cuprite.
• Supergene enrichment zone (major): Chalcocite and Native Copper.
• Secondary sulphide enrichment zone (minor): Altered sulphides - Chalcocite and Bornite.
• Primary sulphide zone: Chalcopyrite (major) and Bornite (minor).

Mining methods included conventional open pit mining, an onsite beneficiation plant, a tailings storage facilities, waste rock facilities, surface water diversion, and site access.

Construction began in the first quarter of 2012 and open pit operations began in late 2012. The first concentrate was produced in July 2016 and was delivered to China Oceanwide International Investment in August 2016. The mine was officially opened in October 2016.

Geology

The mine lies within the Eastern Succession of the Proterozoic-aged Mt. Isa Inlier located in the Duck Creek Anticline. The mineralised lodes are hosted within a metamorphosed sedimentary complex with an east south east strike. The complex includes fine quartz and quartz magnetite sandstone, quartzite, siltstone, limestone and calcareous units, including scapolitic siltstone. Copper mineralisation is largely associated with intrusive medium grained dolerite that is prominent across the area and appears to be conformable with the sediments.

Copper mineralisation occurs in a sequence of partially parallel linear zones with a west-north-west trend. Twelve Cu/Co/Au ore bodies have been identified to date. The two most prominent mineralised bodies include Las Minerale and Rocklands South. Both the structures contain ore grade and thick copper mineralisation over strike lengths of hundreds of metres.

The mineralisation is associated with local alteration of biotite, actinolitic amphibole, red feldspar magnetite, calcite and silica. Substantial evidence of planar joints and fractures is available across the prospect area. The joints and fractures have served as dilatant channel paths to fluids that have metamorphosed and mineralised the rocks. The central part of Las Minerale hosts prominent polymict breccias.

01 - QUEENSLAND MAP.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Map showing the general locality of the deposit.
 Viewed:  12914 Time(s)

01 - QUEENSLAND MAP.jpg

02 - ROCKLANDS COPPER MINE REGIONAL LOCATION (1).jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Aerial photograph showing the regional topography in relation to the nearest populated centre - Cloncurry
 Viewed:  12921 Time(s)

02 - ROCKLANDS COPPER MINE REGIONAL LOCATION (1).jpg

03 - ROCKLANDS COPPER MINE REGIONAL LOCATION V3.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Aerial photograph showing detailed mine plan as it existed in 2019.
 Viewed:  12919 Time(s)

03 - ROCKLANDS COPPER MINE REGIONAL LOCATION V3.jpg

04 - AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH LAS MINERALE PIT 2013.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Aerial Photograph of the mine as it existed in 2013. Las Minerale Pit is easily seen.
 Viewed:  12932 Time(s)

04 - AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH LAS MINERALE PIT 2013.jpg

05 - LAS MINERALE ORE ZONES.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Map of the main ore-body. Yes it is that extensive!
 Viewed:  12927 Time(s)

05 - LAS MINERALE ORE ZONES.jpg

05 - LAS MINERALES OPEN CUT 2017.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Las Minerale Open cut about mid - 2017
 Viewed:  12920 Time(s)

05 - LAS MINERALES OPEN CUT 2017.jpg

06 DAS MINERALES 2016.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Las Minerale Open cut early 2016.
 Viewed:  12910 Time(s)

06 DAS MINERALES 2016.jpg

07 - High-grade chalcocite at ther bottom of Las Minerale Pit 2013.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
High grade Chalcocite zone exposed 2013
 Viewed:  12922 Time(s)

07 - High-grade chalcocite at ther bottom of Las Minerale Pit 2013.jpg

08 - A 2 metre longh native Copper nugget in situ - Las Minerale Pit - 2013.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
A very large native Copper nugget about 6 feet long.
 Viewed:  12877 Time(s)

08 - A 2 metre longh native Copper nugget in situ  - Las Minerale Pit - 2013.jpg

09 - CHALCOCITE CRYSTALS IN CORE SAMPLE 2009.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Euhedral crystals of Chalcocite associated with Calcite in a drill core. Width of core about 60 mm
 Viewed:  12908 Time(s)

09 - CHALCOCITE CRYSTALS IN CORE SAMPLE 2009.jpg

10 - A 130kg native Copper mass cut to reveal near solid Copper core..jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
A large mass of Native Copper cut in half to expose the beautiful metal core.
 Viewed:  12920 Time(s)

10 - A 130kg native Copper mass cut to reveal near solid Copper core..jpg

11 - CORE SAMPLE CIRCA 2011.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Typical core sample showing almost pure Native Copper.
 Viewed:  12914 Time(s)

11 - CORE SAMPLE CIRCA 2011.jpg

silvia

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2022 21:35    Post subject: Rocklands Copper Mine Report Part 2- Silvia's Collection  

ROCKLANDS MINE PROCESSING PLANT

The Rocklands Fixed Crushing Plant and Copper Concentrator were designed to treat 3 million tonnes of ore per year. The mill was designed to produce five saleable products:

• Coarse Native Copper concentrate
• Filtered fine Native Copper concentrate
• Filtered sulphide Copper concentrate
• Filtered Pyrite concentrate containing cobalt
• Filtered Magnetite concentrate

By late 2016, the operators had installed a copper casting plant. The casting plant produced half tonne copper ingots by melting coarse native Copper.

The key aspects of the treatment of the Rocklands ore were:

1. Recovery of the native Copper was divided into three products:

• Very Coarse (>40 mm – from crushing plant),
• Coarse (>1 mm by jigs) and
• Fine (<1>0.1 mm from spirals and tables),

2. The differential separation and recovery by flotation of the copper minerals and the pyrite containing cobalt,

3. Recovery of magnetite from flotation tailings.

The Plant installed at Rocklands utilized the following processes:

• A high-pressure grinding roll (HPGR)

• A rotary scrubber (de-agglomerator)

• Classifying screens

• Jigging circuit, consisting of Coarse, Intermediate and Fine jig circuits

• Spiral separation, consisting of rougher and scavenger spirals

• Table separation, consisting of rougher and cleaner tables

• Two belt filters, to filter fine native Copper product from spirals and tables

• Five thickeners (gravity, copper concentrate, pyrite (cobalt) concentrate, magnetite concentrate and tailings thickeners)

• Ball mill and cyclones

• Copper flotation, consisting of roughing, regrinding, cleaning, scavenging and re-cleaning

• Pyrite (cobalt) flotation, consisting of roughing, cleaning and re-cleaning

• Magnetic separation, consisting of roughing, regrinding, cleaning

01 - PROCESSING PLANT MAP.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
A map of the processing plant
 Viewed:  12752 Time(s)

01  - PROCESSING PLANT MAP.jpg

02 - PROCESSING PLANT 2016.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Aerial Photograph of the plant as it existed in 2016.
 Viewed:  12766 Time(s)

02 - PROCESSING PLANT 2016.jpg

03 - Coarse native copper product.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Containers full of native Copper of various sizes. I would love to spend a few days looking through these containers.
 Viewed:  12773 Time(s)

03 - Coarse native copper product.jpg

04 - Casting Copper Ingots of 99.67% Cu.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Casting of Copper ingots in the trial smelter facility
 Viewed:  12737 Time(s)

04 - Casting Copper Ingots of 99.67% Cu.jpg

05 - Spirals for removing fine native copper.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Used to remove very fine Native Copper
 Viewed:  12760 Time(s)

05 - Spirals for removing fine native copper.jpg

06 - Ball Mill, gravity jigs in background.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Ball Mill. The name says it all - large ball used to crush ore to a fine paste.
 Viewed:  12759 Time(s)

06  - Ball Mill, gravity jigs in background.jpg

07 - Gravity Thickener.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  12744 Time(s)

07 - Gravity Thickener.jpg

08 - Re-grind Mill.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  12753 Time(s)

08 - Re-grind Mill.jpg

09 - Flotation Cells, and Cu Regrind Mill.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  12762 Time(s)

09 - Flotation Cells, and Cu Regrind Mill.jpg

10 - Power Station, Flotation Circuit , Spirals and Gravity Jig Building - 2016.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  12759 Time(s)

10 - Power Station, Flotation Circuit , Spirals and Gravity Jig Building - 2016.jpg

11 - ROM CONVEYOR BELT.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  12747 Time(s)

11 - ROM CONVEYOR BELT.jpg

12 - Crushed ore stockpile - 2016.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  12721 Time(s)

12 - Crushed ore stockpile -  2016.jpg

silvia

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2022 13:59    Post subject: Native Copper - Silvia's Collection  

A beautifully crystallized native copper specimen with no points of attachment.

1 - RMC2.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 15 cm x 7 cm x 3 cm
 Description:
Display View
 Viewed:  12613 Time(s)

1 - RMC2.jpg

2 - RCM 2.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Rear View
 Viewed:  12609 Time(s)

2 - RCM 2.jpg

3 - RMC2.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  12626 Time(s)

3 - RMC2.jpg

4 - RCM2 - CLOSE 1.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the crystals
 Viewed:  12603 Time(s)

4 - RCM2 - CLOSE 1.jpg

05 - RCM2 - CLOSE.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the crystals
 Viewed:  12595 Time(s)

05 - RCM2 - CLOSE.jpg

6 - RCM 2 - CLOSE 2.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the crystals
 Viewed:  12616 Time(s)

6 - RCM 2 - CLOSE 2.jpg

7 - RMC2 - CLOSE 3.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the crystals
 Viewed:  12584 Time(s)

7 - RMC2 - CLOSE 3.jpg

silvia

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2022 16:02    Post subject: Mundo Nuevo - Silvia's Collection  

Extremely large and lustrous sharp crystals of Tetrahedrite to 6 cm in size across the top of this crystallized Pyrite and Sphalerite matrix.

02 - Tetrahedrite PERU.jpg
 Mineral: Tetrahedrite, Sphalerite, Pyrite
 Locality:
Mundo Nuevo mining area, Mundo Nuevo, Huamachuco, Sánchez Carrión Province, La Libertad Department, Peru
 Dimensions: 14 cm x 10 cm x 6 cm
 Description:
Display view
 Viewed:  12516 Time(s)

02 - Tetrahedrite PERU.jpg

03 - Tetrahedrite PERU.jpg
 Mineral: Tetrahedrite, Sphalerite, Pyrite
 Locality:
Mundo Nuevo mining area, Mundo Nuevo, Huamachuco, Sánchez Carrión Province, La Libertad Department, Peru
 Dimensions: 14 cm x 10 cm x 6 cm
 Description:
Matrix view
 Viewed:  12512 Time(s)

03 - Tetrahedrite PERU.jpg

Label.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Label
 Viewed:  12530 Time(s)

Label.jpg

05 - LOCALITY MAP.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Locality map. The mine is accessed via a 4 wheel drive track from Tamboras.
 Viewed:  12581 Time(s)

05 - LOCALITY MAP.jpg

06 - Locality.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Topography of the region showing access roads and mine location.
 Viewed:  12559 Time(s)

06 - Locality.jpg

07 -LOCATION OF MINE.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Looking at the location of the mine across Laguna Toro Verde.
 Viewed:  12523 Time(s)

07 -LOCATION OF MINE.jpg

silvia

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2022 15:34    Post subject: Malachite: Silvia's Collection  

Enchanting specimen, comprising green velvety crystallized malachite in a large open pocket.

01 - MALACHITE MINDINGI MINE KATANGA - FRONT.jpg
 Mineral: Malachite
 Locality:
Mindingi Mine (Mindigi Mine), Swambo, Kambove District, Katanga Copper Crescent, Katanga (Shaba), Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire)
 Dimensions: 18 cm x 10 cm x 9 cm
 Description:
Display view
 Viewed:  12324 Time(s)

01 - MALACHITE MINDINGI MINE KATANGA - FRONT.jpg

02 - MALACHITE MINDINGI MINE KATANGA - REAR MATRIX.jpg
 Locality:
Mindingi Mine (Mindigi Mine), Swambo, Kambove District, Katanga Copper Crescent, Katanga (Shaba), Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire)
 Description:
Matrix view
 Viewed:  12332 Time(s)

02 - MALACHITE MINDINGI MINE KATANGA - REAR MATRIX.jpg

03 - MIDINGI MALACHITE VUG.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the crystals
 Viewed:  12313 Time(s)

03 - MIDINGI MALACHITE VUG.jpg

04 - MIDINGI MALACHITE VUG.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the crystals
 Viewed:  12305 Time(s)

04 - MIDINGI MALACHITE VUG.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2022 04:36    Post subject: Re: Malachite: Silvia's Collection  

silvia wrote:
Enchanting specimen, comprising green velvety crystallized malachite in a large open pocket.
I love the shape and the way it presents the vug. Again a very beautiful and interesting specimen, Silvia!

silvia

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2022 20:36    Post subject: Re: Malachite: Silvia's Collection  

Tobi wrote:
silvia wrote:
I love the shape and the way it presents the vug. Again a very beautiful and interesting specimen, Silvia!

In my humble opinion Malachite is one of the best species to collect with perhaps the highest quality/price ratio. You can get some stunning specimens for ‘little’ cost. It is one species I always recommend to those who have just started collecting minerals.

silvia

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2022 15:12    Post subject: Malachite - Silvia's Collection  

Beautiful deep green botyroidal and crystallized malachite.

01 - MINDINGI MALACHITE FRONT.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 15 cm x 12 cm x 5 cm
 Description:
Display view. BTW I love Malachite!
 Viewed:  11973 Time(s)

01 - MINDINGI MALACHITE  FRONT.jpg

02 - MINDINGI MINE MALACHITE REAR.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Rear view
 Viewed:  11961 Time(s)

02 - MINDINGI MINE MALACHITE REAR.jpg

03 - MINDINGI MINE MALACHITE.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the botryoids.
 Viewed:  11984 Time(s)

03 - MINDINGI MINE MALACHITE.jpg

04 - MINDINGI MINE MALACHITE.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Detail of the crystals
 Viewed:  11968 Time(s)

04 - MINDINGI MINE MALACHITE.jpg

LABEL.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Label
 Viewed:  11984 Time(s)

LABEL.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2022 04:16    Post subject: Re: Malachite - Silvia's Collection  

silvia wrote:
BTW I love Malachite!
I actually don't love malachites that much - but this one is really a stunning eyecatcher (like all of your specimens)!

silvia

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2022 15:55    Post subject: Re: Malachite - Silvia's Collection  

Tobi wrote:
silvia wrote:
BTW I love Malachite!
I actually don't love malachites that much - but this one is really a stunning eyecatcher (like all of your specimens)!

Many thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

My partner and I have many favourites including but not limited to Galena, Sphalerite and Pyrite. We also enjoy collecting rare minerals, and Romania has been good to us in this regards.

Our focus is on regions or specific localities. We have a lot of material from Panasqueira, Bulgaria, Romania, Kosovo and Morocco.

The deciding factor is cost, and some minerals are just beyond our budget. We would like to collect a few Elbaite specimens, but the cost of quality specimens in the small cabinet to cabinet size is very prohibitive.

We have recently purchased a large consignment of fine world-wide minerals, and we are in the process of ‘preping’ and photographing them.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2022 05:24    Post subject: Re: Malachite - Silvia's Collection  

silvia wrote:
Many thanks for your kind words of encouragement.
My partner and I have many favourites including but not limited to Galena, Sphalerite and Pyrite. We also enjoy collecting rare minerals, and Romania has been good to us in this regards. Our focus is on regions or specific localities. We have a lot of material from Panasqueira, Bulgaria, Romania, Kosovo and Morocco. The deciding factor is cost, and some minerals are just beyond our budget. We would like to collect a few Elbaite specimens, but the cost of quality specimens in the small cabinet to cabinet size is very prohibitive. We have recently purchased a large consignment of fine world-wide minerals, and we are in the process of ‘preping’ and photographing them.
Silvia, I think we have a lot in common concerning our taste in minerals! Maybe except for malachite which I don't collect and the rare minerals, I think the "rarest" mineral in my collection is an ettringite from South Africa ;-) And you're right, the budget is a deciding factor. That's why I have more good quartzes and good fluorites than good tourmalines ;-)

Please keep posting your specimens, this topic here is really informative and entertaining and you are such an enrichment for the FMF community!

Best regards
Tobi

silvia

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2022 15:37    Post subject: Decorator Minerals - Silvia's Collection  

Classic Peruvian specimen! Hosts mirror bright golden sharp octahedral crystals of pyrite measuring to 8 cm in size.

PERUVIAN PYRITE 1.jpg
 Mineral: Pyrite
 Locality:
Huanzala Mine, Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huánuco Department, Peru
 Dimensions: 22 cm x 18 cm x 8 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  11435 Time(s)

PERUVIAN PYRITE 1.jpg

PERUVIAN PYRITE 3.jpg
 Mineral: Pyrite
 Locality:
Huanzala Mine, Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huánuco Department, Peru
 Dimensions: 22 cm x 18 cm x 8 cm
 Description:
Detail of the crystals
 Viewed:  11436 Time(s)

PERUVIAN PYRITE 3.jpg

PERUVIAN PYRITE label.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
label
 Viewed:  11428 Time(s)

PERUVIAN PYRITE label.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2022 06:03    Post subject: Re: Silvia's Collection  

Spectacular and beautiful, Silvia!
22 x 18 x 8 cm of pyrite - what's the weight of it? ;-)

silvia

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2022 15:27    Post subject: Re: Silvia's Collection  

Tobi wrote:
Spectacular and beautiful, Silvia!
22 x 18 x 8 cm of pyrite - what's the weight of it? ;-)

Hello Tobi:

I really enjoy collecting Pyrite - a common mineral, but with lots of character.

The weight of the specimen is 4583 grams or about 10 lbs in the old system.

Index -> Women's Private Collections   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 6 of 12
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  

Jump to: