We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 26, 2024 08:58

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Who is coming to Mineralientage?
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Mineral Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

David

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2023 09:21    Post subject: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

Hello!
Who will be visiting Mineralientage 2023?
I am very excited that I will get to attend Mineralientage!
The last edition I"ve attended was in 2011. Hope it is just as good, or even better. For me, it is the closest thing to a minerals paradise!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2023 10:54    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

I have never been and doubt I ever will.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2023 13:00    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

Hi to everybody!
I'm preparing myself to come there, as I usually do every year. I hope I will see as many people as possible!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

David

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2023 13:01    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

James Catmur wrote:
I have never been and doubt I ever will.

Well, I'm sure there are some interesting mineral shows in the UK.
I would enjoy them all!
Plus, regional, or local mineral shows can be quite rewarding.
I suppose it is also a matter of convenience and what sort of minerals or region one targets.
Personally, I love Munchen, so it is really two in one for me: a wonderful city, and a great mineral fair! :)

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2023 14:17    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

Since 1977, I have visited the Mineralientage about 40 times.
With my small group from Liege, we were even photographed at the entrance, around 8:00 a.m. and this photo appeared in the Mineralogical Record!
It was then in the Center of the City, before the creation of the metro towards the old airfield to the East.
At university I learned some true but tasteless concepts.
In Munich, I learned the passion for Mineralogy in a way that you cannot do elsewhere, even if the more modest minerals are always beautiful.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2023 17:34    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

My yearly mineralogical pilgrimage. Wouldn't miss it.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2023 05:51    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

I am very surprised at James's comment. He makes it sound as though he feels it isn't worth going to. How sad. The Munich Show is by far the most extraordinary mineral exposition one can imagine. Anyone who loves minerals should be dying to attend. I can't imagine why James would want to add that sour note to this discussion.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2023 06:03    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

John

I have MS so going would be hard. Not impossible but hard. I was not being 'sour' but rather reflecting that illness makes it hard for me to do such things. Travel is much more complicated, and accommodation has to be wheelchair accessible. Travelling when disabled has gotten easier but I have to put a lot of effort into planning and doing the trip.

I love minerals and used to attend shows when I was 'in town' (including Tucson, Hong Kong, Ste Marie, Haywards Heath, Bakewell, Barcelona, Madrid, and some more) but now I need to plan such trips with great care and accept that a single day at a show will leave me exhausted for at least a day. I do try to go but often the effort makes it too hard or I have to take my carer with me.

John S. White wrote:
I am very surprised at James's comment. He makes it sound as though he feels it isn't worth going to. How sad. The Munich Show is by far the most extraordinary mineral exposition one can imagine. Anyone who loves minerals should be dying to attend. I can't imagine why James would want to add that sour note to this discussion.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2023 09:44    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

Hi James:

Sorry I came down on you hard. I completely misread the tone of your message.

John

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2023 10:18    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

No worries John, I did write in a hurry and could have said more about why

John S. White wrote:
Hi James:

Sorry I came down on you hard. I completely misread the tone of your message.

John

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2023 05:52    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

Hi David! By the way: I saw you are from Bucharest, then my question is: is there any mineralogical exhibition in Romania? It would be interesting to visit it!

Well, I'm sure there are some interesting mineral shows in the UK.
I would enjoy them all!
Plus, regional, or local mineral shows can be quite rewarding.
I suppose it is also a matter of convenience and what sort of minerals or region one targets.
Personally, I love Munchen, so it is really two in one for me: a wonderful city, and a great mineral fair! :)[/quote]

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2023 05:58    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

Hello John, James, Alfredo and others,

What a great opinion you express John. I share your disappointment James.
I myself am no longer very strong on my back and my wife Marie-Paule walks with great difficulty. But in Munich, we rent 2 wheelchairs for a few Euros deposit.

The thematic exhibitions in Munich are remarkable. This is where we learn mineralogy in all its splendor.
I remember the 1985-2000 exhibitions which exceeded any possible dream.
I have often published photos taken on these occasions on this forum.
And then, it was another time: we can no longer organize an exhibition on gold like the ones I experienced in Munich.
Johannes Keilmann is a genius, for me. He even likes meteorites!
See: Highlights Mineralientage München – Interview Johannes Keilmann – You Tube.
It was in Munich that I met Alfredo, thanks to the great facilitator Jordi! THANKS.

John_White_Roger_40906_R.jpg
 Mineral: John and me.
 Description:
 Viewed:  17704 Time(s)

John_White_Roger_40906_R.jpg

ALfredo-Petrov_Jordi-Fabre_R-10220.jpg
 Mineral: Alfredo and Jordi.
 Description:
 Viewed:  17728 Time(s)

ALfredo-Petrov_Jordi-Fabre_R-10220.jpg

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2023 10:27    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

Well, I must say thank you very much Roger for the photos. I recall meeting you and posing with you. And I love the wonderful photo of Alfredo and Jordi. We will miss Jordi terribly, And, of course, at the age of almost 90 I can no longer make it to Europe..

David

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2023 13:58    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

Riccardo Modanesi wrote:
Hi David! By the way: I saw you are from Bucharest, then my question is: is there any mineralogical exhibition in Romania? It would be interesting to visit it!

Hello, Riccardo,

To answer your question, there are some local mineral fairs in Romania, but small, like 20-30 exhibitors, mostly with jewelry, tumbled stones and sliced agates. Only on occasion you can find something interesting, coming from old collections, since the well-known mines in Maramures have closed 15-20 years ago or more. So no way comparable to shows in Western or Central Europe.

The nicest fair is held in Baia Mare, usually in May. Since most collectors are from that area, you can have a chance to find some good material.

The Museum of Geology in Bucharest also organizes small fairs almost every month, but usually you can't find much collectable material.

I really don't rely on such fairs for specimens, I attend sometimes mostly to meet with friends and fellow mineral collectors.

So definitely I wouldn't be traveling to Romania specifically for these fairs, but if you are coming for other reasons, you could give it a try.

Feel free to message me directly if you have any other questions!

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2023 21:22    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

For anyone thinking of going to Munich for the first time, and on a tight budget, I recommend picking a hotel in the center ("downtown" in American terms, near the main train station or "Hauptbahnhof"), where the cheaper hotels and restaurants are. It might look slummy, and all the restaurants will be Turkish, Arab, Greek or Italian, you won't see hardly any Germans around, but I assure you it's perfectly healthy food and safe streets at night, despite looking sketchy. Furthermore, do NOT rent a car. Parking at the Show is not cheap, traffic sucks, and there is a wonderful clean, cheap, and frequent (every 4 minutes or so) subway line running from downtown to the fairgrounds. A car is just an unnecessary expense and a hindrance, unless you have a large amount of luggage. If you plan to go more than one day, do not buy individual subway tickets, it's cheaper and faster to buy a strip of 10 tickets from the machine ("Streifenkarte" in German). You have to cancel (stamp) 2 strips for a trip from downtown to the show, so a 10-strip Streifenkarte is good for 5 trips between downtown and the show. Sounds complicated, but you'll quickly become an expert, and next year will be guiding your friends in Munich ;))

One favorable factor for visitors from North America or Asia is that October-November is the lowest season of the year for intercontinental air travel, so you can usually find much cheaper tickets than in Summer. It costs usually several hundred dollars more for North Americans to fly to the Sainte Marie show, just because it's the high travel summer season.

John Betts

PostPosted: Sep 24, 2023 10:21    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

Does anyone know a good restaurant in Munich for truffles? It will be the right time of year...

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Sep 24, 2023 10:57    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

John Betts wrote:
Does anyone know a good restaurant in Munich for truffles? It will be the right time of year...

John,
I have never experienced truffles in Munich but I guess Italian restaurants/trattorias/osterias are you best bet. Sorry not to be more specific.
Gerard

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 24, 2023 11:04    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

Sorry I can't offer any advice except that the Italian restaurants near the Bonhof are not your best bet. Try Googling Italian restaurants with truffle dishes.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Sep 24, 2023 11:55    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

Hi to everybody!
According to someone's messages: truffles in Munich? I never heard about! If you want to eat good truffles, come to Italy! Piemonte, Umbira, Marche and Abruzzo are the regions where you can enjoy eating the best truffles in the world! But now... I am here to talk aboout minerals, not about truffles! Otherwise Jordi will scold all of us!
P.S. I will come to Munich and therefore I am looking forward to see all of you!

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2023 02:24    Post subject: Re: Who is coming to Mineralientage?  

I think like Riccardo.
I have never seen truffles in Munich in restaurants.
But sometimes the truffles could be on the paper menu but not on the plate!
Don't forget that all German stores are closed every Saturday and Sunday.

Index -> Mineral Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: