We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 27, 2024 12:36

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Collection of Jim Prentiss
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jim Prentiss

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 14:29    Post subject: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Thank you Jordi for the oportunity to publish some of my mineral photos. I should be able to comply with the requirement of mostly lesser quality piecees as I only have a few good specimens. Again all the public displays I have seen to date make my collection look like gravel.

So here goes with my first submission.

Nephrite Jade (Actinolite) this piece is 6" x 5" x 4.5" it weighs about 5 pounds. It is obviously cut out of a larger piece that was nearly twenty pounds. I picked it up the summer of 1991 near Kobuk, a village in western , Alaska, along the Kobuk River.

Jim Prentiss

Actinolite 02b.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  39756 Time(s)

Actinolite 02b.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 14:47    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

This next one maybe a little too simple, but I enjoy the color. It is obviously massive Calcite and I got in a little rock shop in Anchorage, Alaska, with a label that said "Mexico"

Anyone out there have a better idea from where in Mexico?

Calcite 32.JPG
 Description:
It is about 2.5" (6.4cm) in diameter about an inch (2.54 cm) thick.
 Viewed:  39711 Time(s)

Calcite 32.JPG

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 14:59    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Perhaps most everyone can recognize the characteristic habit of this piece of Galena from Dal'Negorsk, Far Eastern Russia. the field of view here is 1.5" (3.8cm).

Its departure from the normal (cubic) habit is the primary reaason I grabbed this one up when I saw in my local rock shop.

I have yet to master the art of photographing bright metallic minerals

min109 001.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  39738 Time(s)

min109 001.jpg

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 15:07    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Hi Jim!

Thanks for posting your minerals here.

Please, could you provide the size of this specimen?: Calcite 32.JPG

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 15:12    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Sorry Carles,

I saw that after I sent it off. It is about 2.5" (6.4cm) in diameter about an inch (2.54 cm) thick.

Jimp

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 15:22    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

I am fastinated by different crystal habits and a favorite is this pinkish Halite hopper crystal cluster from Searles Lake, in California, that I got from a rock shop in Alaska about six years ago. This specimen is 5.5" x 5.5" x 1.5" (14.0cm x 14.0cm x 3.8cm)

Halite 02.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  39791 Time(s)

Halite 02.jpg

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 15:27    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Jim,

In order to save space and especially to prevent from sending too many notifications to the FMF readers, it is strongly recommended to group several photos in one single posting. After uploading the first, just click again on the "Add Attachment" button and repeat the process to add as many pictures as you want, to a maximum of fifteen per post. As you will see, the order in which the photos are finally shown is the opposite to the order you uploaded them.

If needed, you can write specific comments for each photo in the "File Comment" box.

Thanks again for posting here,

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 17:09    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Jim Prentiss wrote:
Perhaps most everyone can recognize the characteristic habit of this piece of Galena from Dal'Negorsk, Far Eastern Russia. the field of view here is 1.5" (3.8cm).

Its departure from the normal (cubic) habit is the primary reaason I grabbed this one up when I saw in my local rock shop.

I have yet to master the art of photographing bright metallic minerals

This appears to me to be a spinel twin of galena. Spinel twinning is twinning on the body diagonal of the cube, and is named of course for the triangular twins of spinel. In galena, spinel twinning tends to produce flat crystals with strong hexagonal and/or triangular aspects.

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2009 13:24    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Hello Again everyone,

Here are several more of my pieces for the display. I see what you were talking about Carles. I can keep adding as I go, then sumbit numerous photos at once

Here goes.

Jimp

mim117 008.jpg
 Description:
This is a small specimen of Biege colored Crandallite on matrix from Mont-Des-Groseillers, Belgium (I hope I spelled and punctuated that correctly). This too has an interesting habit. It is 1" x 3/4" x 1/2" (2.5cm x 1.9cm x 1.3cm)
 Viewed:  39489 Time(s)

mim117 008.jpg

Coalingite 01.jpg
 Description:
This bronze flaky Coalingite, from the type locality in Fresno Co., California, is like most of my type locality speimens, not especially pretty, but like the orange Calite it has a good color. The flakes are very tiny and the field of veiw in the photo is 1" (2.5cm)
 Viewed:  39495 Time(s)

Coalingite 01.jpg

Opal 03.JPG
 Description:
I have mentioned that I am fsatinated by different habits, this Opal (Hyalite) is an example of my favorite habit(s), botryoidal, reniform, mammillary. Freud would probably say it was because I was bottle fed. In addition to the habit, though, is the near water clear transparency. This piece is from the Czech Republic. It measures 1 1/2" x 1" x 1" (2.8cm x 2.5cm x 2.5cm)
 Viewed:  39473 Time(s)

Opal 03.JPG

Kernite 01.jpg
 Description:
I like this Kernite because it is simple and was a new mineral for me. it is a bit difficult to display at it is 10 1/2" x 4/12" 3" (26.6cm x 11.4cm x 7.6cm). It is from kern Co., California. I purchased this piece a few years ago at the Alaska Miners Convention Rock and Mineral show.
 Viewed:  39481 Time(s)

Kernite 01.jpg

Stibnite 04.JPG
 Description:
The crystals here of Stibnite are very small averaging 1/8" to 3/8" (3mm to 9mm) in length. The specimen is from , the aptly named, Stibnite Creek SW of the town of Tok, Alaska. I picked tis one up in 1996. It is 2 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" (11.4cm x 3.8cm x 3.8cm)
 Viewed:  39506 Time(s)

Stibnite 04.JPG

Aragonite.JPG
 Description:
This is a rather thick carpet of Aragonite from Eklutna Lake, Near Anchorage, Alaska I picked up at the Alaska Miners Convention a couple years back - It is 4" x 2 3/4" x 2" (11.4cm x 6.9cm x 5.1cm)
 Viewed:  39524 Time(s)

Aragonite.JPG

Hanksite 02f.JPG
 Description:
This Hanksite crystal is from the type locality at Searles Lake, San Bernardino Co., California. It is 5" x 4 1/2" in Diameter (12.7cm x 11.4cm)
 Viewed:  39504 Time(s)

Hanksite 02f.JPG

Actinolite 01.jpg
 Description:
This bright green "jackstraw" crystal aggregate of Actinolite I picked up along the Kobuk River near the Village of Deering in western Alaska in 1994. It is 4 1/2" x 3" x 2 1/2" (11.7cm x 7.6cm x 6.4cm)
 Viewed:  39552 Time(s)

Actinolite 01.jpg

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2009 14:40    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Hey Jim. I like the actinolite. Self-collected, colorful, and it is 'way cool (as the kids say now-a-days). Keep 'em coming. Have you anything from Wrangell or Prince of Wales Island by any chance?

Thanks,

Ed

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2009 16:05    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Hello Ed,

Thanks. Well I grew up in Ketchikan and I was a boy scout so I have some Epidote from POW Island and garnets from Wrangel, But do not get too excited they are deffinately not much to look at. I have to work on at least printable photos of them.

Jimp

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2009 02:29    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Hi Jimp,

congratulations to that large hanksite crystal. A very impressive specimen.

Cheers

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2009 18:41    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Thank you Tobias,

Okay here come a few more specimens. Ed, I have included a couple of the Epidote and Almandine but I forgot the pictures load up oposite of how I input them so they are last on this post

Chrysotile 01.JPG
 Description:
Here is an example of fibrous Chrysotile from the Jeffery Mine, Asbestos, Quebec, Canada. Here the attraction, in addition to being something new and different to my collection, is the color banding and the fibrous habit. The seam is 3/8" wide (0.8cm)
 Viewed:  39399 Time(s)

Chrysotile 01.JPG

mim113 048.jpg
 Description:
This little Orpiment piece is from Elbrusskiy Mine, Elbruss Mt, Northern Caucasus Region, Russia. I have had little luck in capturing the beauty of this brighty colored specimen. If anyone has seen this stuff before you know what I mean. The dimensions are 1" x 1/2" x 3/8" (2.5cm x 1.3cm x 0.8cm)
 Viewed:  39357 Time(s)

mim113 048.jpg

Fluorite 01a.JPG
 Description:
A closer shot of the upcoming Fluorite. I forgot the sequencing again.
 Viewed:  39357 Time(s)

Fluorite 01a.JPG

Fluorite 01.JPG
 Description:
My first Fluorite. This octahedral Fluorite comes from Zarembo Island, which is near Wrangel, in Southeast Alaska. I had to go there one day, in 1980, to fix a broken helicopter and our customer, a geologist, gave me this piece. The crystals are very pale light green, practically colorless on drusy Quartz, and average 1/4" (6mm) the specimen is about 4" x 2 1/2" x 1 1/4" (10.1cm x 6.4cm x 3.2cm)
 Viewed:  39322 Time(s)

Fluorite 01.JPG

Copper 03.JPG
 Description:
Here is a recent acquisition. Dendritic Native Copper inclusions in Gypsum from the Mission Pit Mine, Pima County, Arizona. The photo turned out fairly well considering it was originally a photo of the host crystal which I have separately cataloged as a gypsum specimen as well. The field of veiw is about 3/4" (1.9cm)
 Viewed:  39356 Time(s)

Copper 03.JPG

min102 034.jpg
 Description:
My first Malachite. I have to agree with Jordi on the sacredness of leaving a mineral in its natural form. This is not what I had ordered, the dealer was helping. Still it has the habit I am most enamored with, and kids think its pretty. It is 5" x 3 1/2 x 2" (12.7cm x 8.9cm x 5.1cm)
 Viewed:  39356 Time(s)

min102 034.jpg

Almandine 1a.JPG
 Description:
Well Ed, here is a matrix specimen of the Wrangel garnets. Forgive the photography I was unable to get a decent shot at this time. This specimen is 2 1/2" square and 1 1/2" thick (6.3cm x 3.8cm)
 Viewed:  39339 Time(s)

Almandine 1a.JPG

Almandine 2a.JPG
 Description:
This is a Wrangel Almandine I got while on a Boy Scout "Camporee" in Wrangel in 1971, Along with the matrix specimen above. Wrangel was only 80 miles away but the only way to get there was ferry or plane and after over 25 years living in Ketchikan I only got there three times. It is 5/8" (1.6cm) in diameter.
 Viewed:  39359 Time(s)

Almandine 2a.JPG

Epidote 2b.JPG
 Description:
This POW Epidote was given to me a few yars ago by an old family friend. The crystals are quite small averaging 5/16" (8mm) long, embedded in Quartz crystal. The Epidote crystals are doubly terminated, but very dificult to get the detail here. That is one of the endearing aspects of this little guy. The field of veiw vertically is about 1 1/2" (3.8cm)
 Viewed:  39307 Time(s)

Epidote 2b.JPG

Epidote 1a.JPG
 Description:
This Epidote I picked up as a teenager out hunting one day, on Green Monster Mountain, Prince of Wales Island, Alaska. Around 1972-73. It is an old joke between my buddy and I that he got a three point buck that day and I got a rock! It is 3 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 3/4" (8.3cm x 3.8cm x 1.9cm). It is a partial crystal and ypu can get a sense of how large it would have been.
 Viewed:  39321 Time(s)

Epidote 1a.JPG

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2009 15:22    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Hello Everyone,

I suppose the pizza box lid support is evidence of a "budget " collection, when used as a display stand. Would I lose any points for that?

I have a couple more to add. I am traveling for work this week and I have not had too many chances to access the internet as some of the motels do not have the best service.

Cylindrite 01.JPG
 Description:
Forgive my inability to successfully capture the true luster and color of metallic minerals. This mineral is aptly named Cylindrite and is from the type locality at Santa Cruz Mine, Oruro Deparment, Bolivia. Like most of my type locality minerals, it is not museum quality, but the rare habit makes up for it. The field of view is about 1" (2.54cm)
 Viewed:  39161 Time(s)

Cylindrite 01.JPG

Helvite 01.JPG
 Description:
These small tetrahedral crystals of Helvite are on Albite matrix. They are from the Navegador Mine, Minas Gerais, Brazil. The crystals average about 1/4" (6mm).
 Viewed:  39153 Time(s)

Helvite 01.JPG

Childrenite 01 (2).jpg
 Description:
this slender prismatic doubly terminated little crystal is Childrenite on Microcline from Lavra do Poco Dantas, Minas Gerais, Brazil. It is 1" x 1/8" (25.4mm x 3.2mm). I have read that Childrenite makes a good "new species" mineral as it is only known in crystals
 Viewed:  39178 Time(s)

Childrenite 01 (2).jpg

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2009 19:54    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Here a few more pieces.

mins5 040.jpg
 Description:
This is "starburst" Pyrophyllite from Indian Gulch, Mariposa County, Calfornia. The field of view is about 1 1/2" (3.8cm)
 Viewed:  39059 Time(s)

mins5 040.jpg

Xonotlite 01a.JPG
 Description:
This piece is rather difficult for me to capture given the simple photographic equipment I have. I like the exremely fine fibrous habit of this Xonotlite. The specimen is 5/8" (1.6cm) accross
 Viewed:  39061 Time(s)

Xonotlite 01a.JPG

Loparite-Ce 01.JPG
 Description:
Here is a nice little twin of Loparite-(Ce) in matrix from Kukisvumchorr Mountain, Kola Peninsula, Russia. This is one of the pieces that got the attention of the US Customs as I drove accross the border a couple of years back. It is about 5/16" cubed (8mm)
 Viewed:  39088 Time(s)

Loparite-Ce 01.JPG

31 063.jpg
 Description:
I really like this combination of the clear Hemimorphite and bright yellow Mimetite from the Ojuela Mine, Durango, Mexico. The specimen is 3 1/2" x 2 3/4" x 2" (8.9cm x 7.0cm x 5.1cm)
 Viewed:  39055 Time(s)

31 063.jpg

Calcite 04.JPG
 Description:
Here is my example of Sweetwater Mine, Missouri Calcite. The main crystal is 1 1/8" x 5/8" (2.8cm x 1.6cm)
 Viewed:  39052 Time(s)

Calcite 04.JPG

Bismuth 01.jpg
 Description:
This Bismuth is from Wolfram Camp, Dimbulah, Queensland, Australia. The field of view is 1" (2.54cm).
 Viewed:  39059 Time(s)

Bismuth 01.jpg

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2010 12:34    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Happy New Year Everyone.

I am adding some other minerals today. Again nothing that would make the pages of a mineral magazine.

Trilithionite 06b.JPG
 Description:
Trilithionite/Lepidolite; your choice, I prefer Lepidolite but the "times they are a chanin' ", and so are the mineral names.This piece is rather large at over 9" x 4 1/2 " x 2 3/4" (23cm x 11.4cm x 6.9cm). It is, as expected, from Minas Gerais, Brazil.
 Viewed:  38813 Time(s)

Trilithionite 06b.JPG

Sulphohalite 01d.JPG
 Description:
As a type locality mineral, this Sulphohalite crystal is rather nice looking. This, too, is a new mineral to my collection and it is from Searles Lake, San Bernardino County, California. The crystal is 3/4" (1.9cm).
 Viewed:  38798 Time(s)

Sulphohalite 01d.JPG

Stichtite 02c.JPG
 Description:
Here is one of my recent acquisitions. This deep purple Stichtite in matrix is another one of my ugly type locality minerals from Stichtite Hill, Dundas Mineral Field, Zeehan District, Tasmania, Australia. The specimen is 1 1/4" x 3/4" (3.2cm x 1.9cm)
 Viewed:  38808 Time(s)

Stichtite 02c.JPG

Heulandite 04.JPG
 Description:
Here is a different Heulandite from Pato Branco, Parana, Brazil. The specimen is 1" square (2.4cm)
 Viewed:  38834 Time(s)

Heulandite 04.JPG

mins1 017.jpg
 Description:
Another of my favorites. This Millerite always amazes people, especially those who know I have cats. It takes a couple of minutes with a 10x before they see the crystals for what they are. Teh field of view is 1 1/2" (3.8cm). It is from Keokuk County, Iowa.
 Viewed:  38793 Time(s)

mins1 017.jpg

mins3 042.jpg
 Description:
Well her is "another" photo of Wavellite, but I had to include this one. This is one of my personal favorites. I like the habit and the color. I read once where most collectors would rather thier specimens be perfect and unbroken but an exception is made for Wavellite. This piece is of course from Garland County, Arkansas. the field of view is 3" (7.6cm)
 Viewed:  38816 Time(s)

mins3 042.jpg

min100 059.JPG
 Description:
Here is a busy piece in this Pyrite crystal "Sunflower" from the Zhuang Autonomous Region, China. It is 3 1/4" in diameter (8,3cm). It could be used as a paper weight but I'd rather not.
 Viewed:  38788 Time(s)

min100 059.JPG

min020 007.jpg
 Description:
This Magnesioriebeckite is one of my better type locality minerals from Alto Chapare District, Chapare Province, Cochabamba Deparment, Bolivia. the field of view is 1 1/2" wide (3.8cm)
 Viewed:  38765 Time(s)

min020 007.jpg

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2010 11:07    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Hello Everyone,

I am adding a few more specimen photos to this post.

mins6 052.jpg
 Description:
Here is one of my black minerals. I like this Manganite because of the woven-like pattern of the lustrious crystals in the aggregate. it is from the Caland pit, Atikokan, Hutchingston Township, Rainy River District, Ontario, Canada. The specimen measures 3 3/4" x 2 1/4" (9.53cm x 5.72cm).
 Viewed:  38657 Time(s)

mins6 052.jpg

mins6 020.jpg
 Description:
I like this Astrophyllite because of its different habit, it looks like copper colored streamers lying on the matrix. The field of view is 3" (7.62cm). It is from Eveslogchorr Mountain, Khibiny Massif, Kola Peninsula, Murmanskaja Oblast, Northern Region, Russia.
 Viewed:  38643 Time(s)

mins6 020.jpg

40 047.jpg
 Description:
This pseudocubic crystal cluster of Apophyllite-K(OH), (Bah Humbug! I prefer Hydroyapophyllite) is 1 3/8" x 3/4" (3.49cm x 1.90cm) . it is from N’Chwaning Mine II, N’Chwaning Mines, Kalahari Manganese Fields, Northern Cape Province, South Africa
 Viewed:  38685 Time(s)

40 047.jpg

mim114 030.jpg
 Description:
This Chrysocolla is yet another example of one of my favorite habits. Also, the blue color is, to me, quite attractive, despite the ugly matrix. It is 2 1/4" x 2" (5.72cm x 5.08cm) and is from the Kolwezi Mine, Kolwwezi, Western Area, Shaba Copper Belt, Shaba (Katnga), Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire).
 Viewed:  38658 Time(s)

mim114 030.jpg

mim112 008.jpg
 Description:
Tyuyamunite is one of the radioactive minerals in my collection that the Border Patrols sensors detected when I came down from Alaska a couple of years ago. Very sensitive equipment. I like it for its bright yellow color. The minute tabular crystals and only be appreciated with 20x or more. It is from Blue Peak Mine, Poison Canyon Area, Grants District, Cibola County, New Mexico and measures 7/8" x 3/4" (2.22cm x 1.90cm)
 Viewed:  39165 Time(s)

mim112 008.jpg

Wendwilsonite 01.JPG
 Description:
This specimen is a pretty good looking mineral for one of my type locality pieces. The habit and color are typical of the Aghbar Mine, Aghbar, Bou Azzer District, Tazenakht, Qiarzazate Province, Suoss-Massa-Draa Region, Morocco. It is named after Wendell E. Wilson, Editor and Publisher of the Mineralogical Record. The specimen measures 1 1/4" x 1" (3.18cm x 2.54cm).
 Viewed:  38692 Time(s)

Wendwilsonite 01.JPG

Sulphur 06.jpg
 Description:
I am sure nearly everyone has Sulphur (I prefer the old spelling) as an example of a Native Element mineral. This one is a little diffrent in that it appears to have been dripped on the matrix like wax from a tipping candle. It is from San Carlos Mine, San Felipe, Mun. de Mexicali, Baja California Norte, Mexico. The crystal is 3/8" (10mm) across
 Viewed:  38676 Time(s)

Sulphur 06.jpg

Realgar 02.JPG
 Description:
This humble Realgar specimen has a couple of well formed brightly colored crystals scattered about which are better viewed with at least a 10x. The crystals average about 1/16" (1.6mm) from Royal Reward Mine, Green River Gorge, Franklin, King County, Washington.
 Viewed:  38616 Time(s)

Realgar 02.JPG

40 018.jpg
 Description:
This little Sturmanite cluster is from N’Chwanning I Mine, N’Chwanning Mines, Kalahari Manganese Fields, Northern Cape Province, South Africa. The specimen measures 1 1/2" x 5/8" 9 3.81cm x 1.59cm)
 Viewed:  38584 Time(s)

40 018.jpg

46 185.jpg
 Description:
Here is another of my type locality minerals. This was my first Variscite. The small, 1/32" (0.8mm) green spheres are from Meßbach Quarry, Altmannsgrun, Plauen, Voughtland, Saxony, Germany.
 Viewed:  38574 Time(s)

46 185.jpg

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2010 20:16    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Hello Everyone,

It has been awhile, I have been off the net. Here are a few more humble pieces to add to the site.

Clinochlore 02a.JPG
 Description:
Clinochlore (var. Chromian Clinochlore). I tossed this one in for color. These bright lilac, tiny hexagonal crystal clusters come from the Woods Chromite Mine, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The specimen is about 2" (5.08cm) across.
 Viewed:  37864 Time(s)

Clinochlore 02a.JPG

Bournonite 01.jpg
 Description:
This Bournonite, from the Quiruvilca District, La Libertad Department, Peru, shows the classic "cogs wheel" Habit. The crystals average about 1/4" (6mm) in diameter.
 Viewed:  37844 Time(s)

Bournonite 01.jpg

Yuksporite 01.jpg
 Description:
Although it is rather lack-luster, I do not consider this type locality piece, all that ugly. I enjoy the curtain-like habit. It reminds me of the curtain-like cave formations. It comes from Mount Yukspor, Kola Peninsula, Russia. The field of view is about 1 1/4" (3.18cm) wide.
 Viewed:  37863 Time(s)

Yuksporite 01.jpg

Muscovite 02.JPG
 Description:
I have seen quite a bit of the "star" Muscovite coming out of Brazil. And as I have no examples, I submit this little pseudohexagonal crystal aggregate for consideration. The specimen is about 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" (3.81cm x 3.81cm)
 Viewed:  37871 Time(s)

Muscovite 02.JPG

Iron 01.jpg
 Description:
Back to the "ugly" type locality mineral, theme. Here is a specimen of Native Iron (the small bright areas), from Disko Island, Greenland. The bright Iron spots are about 1/32" (0.8mm) in diameter.
 Viewed:  37862 Time(s)

Iron 01.jpg

Calcite 07b.JPG
 Description:
These, seemingly formless, Calcite crystals, that have obvious rhombohedral terminations, caught my eye some years ago, in a little out of the way rock shop in Anchorage. They are from Irai, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil and average about 1 1/4" x 3/8" (3.18cm x 0.95cm)
 Viewed:  37875 Time(s)

Calcite 07b.JPG

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2010 05:34    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Hi,

Nice type-locs! Some addition to your variscite. The village is spelled "Meßbach" (Messbach) not Mebbach. However, nice pics of not that often shown specimens. Hope there are still more to come;-)

Cheers
Andreas

Replaced Mebbach by Meßbach.
Carles Millan

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2010 20:06    Post subject: Re: Collection of Jim Prentiss  

Hello everyone,

I has been a while since I added photos to this forum.

Arsenopyrite 03b.JPG
 Description:
This little Arsenopyrite is about 5/8" x 1/2" (1.59 cm x 1.27 cm). This specimen is from Chihuahua, Mexico
 Viewed:  36641 Time(s)

Arsenopyrite 03b.JPG

Tremolite 04e.jpg
 Description:
This is Tremolite var. Hexagonite, and according to one reference it comes from the Type Locality (For Hexagonite) in Edwards, Balmat-Edwards Zinc District, Saint Lawrence County, New York. It is 3 1/2" x 2 /1/2" (8.89 cm x 6.35 cm)
 Viewed:  36591 Time(s)

Tremolite 04e.jpg

Galena 04a.jpg
 Description:
Here again I am attempting a metallic mineral. This octahedral Galena is from Huanzala Mine, Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huanuco Departemnt, Peru. I t is 3 1/4" x 1 3/4" (8.26 cm x 4.45 cm)
 Viewed:  36589 Time(s)

Galena 04a.jpg

Newberyite 01b.JPG
 Description:
Newberyite, a real Type Locality peice from Skipton Caves, Mount Widderin (Anderson’s Hill), Skipton, Corangamite Shire, Victoria, Australia. It is about 1" in diammter (2.54 cm)
 Viewed:  36593 Time(s)

Newberyite 01b.JPG

Pyrite 14a.JPG
 Description:
This is a recent acquisition, Pyrite on Calcite from Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, South Central Region, China. However it reminds me of Stone Mountain, Georgia. Field of view is 1/2" (1.27 cm)
 Viewed:  36606 Time(s)

Pyrite 14a.JPG

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: