We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 26, 2024 06:39

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage

Index -> Mineralogical Literature

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2010 13:21    Post subject: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

To all,

I am embarking on a new project to write a book about the fine minerals that have come from Arizona and the people who have helped make that happen. Gloria Staebler will be publishing the book and it will be premiering at the 2012 Tucson Gem and Mineral Show to coincide with the 100th anniversary of Arizona becoming the 48th state in the USA. Besides my wife, Paula, I will have at least one major collaborator, who will be announced as soon as I get a positive response.

The book will highlight the great minerals, the collectors and the organizations (museums, clubs and mining companies) who have helped preserve specimens and to promote the hobby and collecting. We are going to need collectors, dealers and curators to provdie photos of fine specimens that have come from Arizona, the collections where numbers of Arizona specimens currently reside, and histories of collectors and dealers who have resided in Arizona and helped preserve its minerals.

One of the first questions I would throw out is who is out there collecting Arizona minerals, either as an entire specialty or with a significant subcollection, who is under the age of 40? I look to all of you for your help and knowledge. As I this project moves forward, I will keep you all apprised of the highs and lows of writing a book and complling the information and photos.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2010 14:05    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

Great idea! I encourage all FMF members and visitors to help Les in this exciting project.

I just sent to him a link with all photos I have of Arizona specimens, on case he need some...

Wulfenite Silver Bell Mine Arizona.jpg
 Description:
One example: a Wulfenite from Silver Bell District ( (I suppose ;-) Pima County, Arizona
Specimen size: 2.2 × 1.8 × 4 cm.
Former Oliete collection
 Viewed:  24115 Time(s)

Wulfenite Silver Bell Mine Arizona.jpg

crocoite

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2010 04:24    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

Why under the age of 40 Les?

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2010 10:22    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

I am interested in all those who have fine Arizona specimens and would like to learn about the collectors who are specializing in Arizona or have significant subcollections of Arizona specimens. The commnet about those under 40 is to begin to identify and highlight the next generation of Arizona collectors. Over the years, we have had several waves of junior collectors and exhibitors at the Tucson Show. None of them are specifically collecting Arizona specimens. At that age, I was not either. I think I know most of the Arizona collectors, at least in the US and the youngest is 47, with most of us in our 50's and 60's.

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2010 10:40    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

Hi Les,

Very good idea indeed. Unfortunately I have no minerals from Arizona in my collection. However, I can help you in posting your request on the French Geoforum to let know to French collectors & dealers that your are looking for pictures / information.

Tell me if you are interested in.

Christophe

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2010 12:24    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

Hi Les,
I have over 400 specimens from Arizona....of course, it depends upon the definition of the word "fine" with respect to "fine mineral specimens". I do have some unusual locality pieces.

This seems like a real ambitious effort given the large amount of specimens and species from Arizona. I presume you are organizing the book into the major mineralogical districts with a few special other localities?
Bob

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2010 12:39    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

Bob,

You are already on my list but thanks for the reminder. Actually, the working outline at this point is to break the history of mineral collecting in Arizona into time periods, much like the book, Rocks to Riches, which is a mining history book written 30 years ago. So, with each time period, say 1880 to 1900, we will have sections on each mineral prducing mine or districts and photos of the minerals that came out during that time.

Using the Red Cloud as an example, there were a number of fine wulfenites that came out in that time period. As we move forward in time, there will not be any mention of the Red Cloud until the 1930's and then again not much until the 1960's and certainly into 1990's. Morenci is another example. Even thought mining took place there fairly continuously from 1880 to the present, the specimen production, or at least the saving of specimens centers around 1880 to 1900 and then starting in 1975 or so.

As each period comes and goes, there will be discussions and stories of the collectors, dealers and organizations/institutions that were important as well.

The final selection of photos will rest with the publisher, Gloria Staebler. Sometime this year, I would like to get over to go through your Arizona collection, as we discussed at the Denver Show.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2010 12:58    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

Les Presmyk wrote:
Using the Red Cloud as an example, there were a number of fine wulfenites that came out in that time period. As we move forward in time, there will not be any mention of the Red Cloud until the 1930's and then again not much until the 1960's and certainly into 1990's...

This Wulfenite from the Folch collection could be quite old. Les, if you wish I can looks for the date when this Wulfenite was mined.

You can find this image together with other astounding specimens in this post -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=244

Wulfenite Red Cloud Mine Arizona USA - Folch collection.jpg
 Description:
Wulfenite
Red Cloud Mine
About 6 cm. (2½ inches) on edge
Folch collection
 Viewed:  23938 Time(s)

Wulfenite Red Cloud Mine Arizona USA - Folch collection.jpg

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2010 13:28    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

Yes, please do. There are verifiable specimens from the 1880's in the Michigan Tech and Harvard collections. If this one is from that period, I would love knowing it.

rweaver

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2010 19:34    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

Les

Great Idea. You know where to find me. Just ask and it is yours. I am getting better on the pictures and can retake any you need from the collection.

Bob Weaver

jimB

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2010 20:31    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

Hi JordI,

That is a wonderful wulfenite. If that is true color it may be my favorite Red Cloud specimen. It is surely a living dream.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 02:21    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

Yes it is a living dream, as well as many other specimens from Arizona and US that Sr. Folch got in the earlier Tucson Shows.

Hopefully some day the group to visit the collection be organized and you can join they! -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=1474#1474

crocoite

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 04:06    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

Well, I am not under 40, but I was when I started collecting about 25 years ago! I do have a reasonable sub-collection of Arizona specimens, almost entirely micro-minerals. I'd be happy to share details with you.

Regards
Steve

crocoite

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 04:08    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

By the way, my avatar photo was taken at Tucson in 2007...

Regards
Steve

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 18:48    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

Les...Amherst College has two of the best Hilltop wulfenites I've ever seen, must be OLD. Carl Francis might be able to help determine how old.

I thought you wanted someone under 40 to get involved with writing this thing so that at least one person involved would still be alive when its finished

rweaver

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2010 19:24    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

rweaver wrote:
Les

Great Idea. You know where to find me. Just ask and it is yours. I am getting better on the pictures and can retake any you need from the collection.

Bob Weaver

Just seeing if Les remembers I have this piece.

misc 047.jpg
 Description:
Copper from Ajo. It sits on a 2in base. Former collection Carl Stenez, Frank Knechtel.
 Viewed:  23714 Time(s)

misc 047.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2010 03:08    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
...Les, if you wish I can look for the date when this Wulfenite was mined

Not too much details unfortunately. In the Folch record is written:

"Bought in 1972 to Mr. Arthur Montgomery in Easton, New Jersey."

Hopefully it helps.

Jordi

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2010 08:41    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

Jordi,

That is quite enough information. That tells me it is a piece Ed Over most likely collected.

Thanks

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2010 17:49    Post subject: Re: Book Project - Arizona's Mineral Heritage  

I am looking for a collector or a library who has a set of Ward's and A.E. Foote catalogs, especially prior to 1910. It would also be interesting to see English or European dealers' catalogs for the time period from 1870 to 1910, specifically looking for Arizona Territory minerals for sale.

Index -> Mineralogical Literature   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: