We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
04 Jun-08:39:41 Re: collection of michael shaw - malachite (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-01:49:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Jordi Fabre)
03 Jun-21:44:21 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)
01 Jun-20:02:10 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
01 Jun-10:24:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-10:21:30 Is malachite rare? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:51:59 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:21:32 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-07:40:50 Re: mineral identification tips (Cascaillou)
31 May-16:04:59 Is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Gk68)
31 May-15:40:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
31 May-15:40:12 Re: is this dolomite-pyrite-siderite? (Gk68)
31 May-09:28:53 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-08:49:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
31 May-07:33:18 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-07:26:07 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (James Catmur)
31 May-06:33:57 Is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
30 May-22:57:14 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 04, 2024 11:18

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Bugaboo about specimen packing

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2013 03:28    Post subject: Bugaboo about specimen packing  

Perhaps it is the engineer in me, but I want to express a bugaboo I have concerning the way seemingly most people pack mineral specimens in boxes for storage and shipment. My experience is that most people create a nest for the specimen, put the specimen in the nest, put some more plastic on top, and call it good. This I believe is not the best way to pack mineral specimens, especially for shipment.

Before understanding my opinion, please understand that what I refer to here is not the most delicate, acicular specimens, for which there is no "good" way to pack a specimen, but instead I refer here to most specimens, with xtals that can survive very slight differential forces induced by having plastic sheeting packed against then.

We can all agree that a specimen in shipment is subject to shocks from random orientations. Therefore, what we want is something that can: 1) cushion the specimen and prevent any DIFFERENTIAL forces from acting on any part of the specimen; and 2) isolate, to the extent possible, the external shocks from acting upon the specimen. This means we want the specimen to float within its packaging, but prevent the packaging from producing differential forces on any part of the specimen.

I argue that the way to achieve both objectives is to bunch up dry cleaner bag plastic (DCBP) against the best part of the specimen, then wrap this with more DCBP so that the bunched up plastic does not move RELATIVE to the individual xtals on the best part of the specimen, and then put this stabilized ball into a nest in a box lined with more DCBP. This creates a "unit" supporting all elements (and preventing differential forces from acting upon xtals within the unit) of the specimen that then floats inside a nest created by the "second-line DCBP." If the box endures an external shock, the xtals on the specimen do not experience any relative stresses, and the "first-line-DCBP-specimen-unit" moves independently of the outer packaging, or second-line DCBP, within the box.

If one simply puts a specimen in a nest of packaging, then, with external shocks, the specimen may move RELATIVE to the packaging. This creates differential stresses across the specimen which could result in damage. Again, we want the specimen to move as a coherent unit withing its packaging in response to external accelerations.

This is my opinion for packaging most specimens. Please comment if you want.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2013 05:08    Post subject: Re: Bugaboo about specimen packing  

Hi Matt. For smaller specimens, we use the type of plastic containers (see photograph). We wrap in paper towel, and if necessary, again in bubble wrap. If only a few containers, we post it in a padded envelope, otherwise in a strong box, filling loose space up with bubble wrap or sponge. Wider specimens, like clusters, we use different, wider plastic containers. The containers must be able to take a fair amount of pressure from all sides, with no movement after packaging. We use masking tape on most wrapping materials, except on the plastic containers, padded envelope or box (where we use broad sellotape).

We often receive parcels from the source and no matter how many instructions (and warnings), we often have considerable damage because of very poor packaging.

A method that might be very effective, but which I dislike, is the mummifying of specimens with rolled toilet paper. It takes ages to unwrap and there is the danger of dropping the specimen with all the turning (especially at the end).

With regards to packing large/r specimens, of which we have very little experience; we use thick sponge, and a strong cardboard or wooden box. Needless to say, there should be no movement in the box after packaging.

P1080064.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  13056 Time(s)

P1080064.JPG

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2013 05:17    Post subject: Re: Bugaboo about specimen packing  

Hi to everybody!
According to Matt: usually I pack my acicular specimens with an excess of cutton wool and then I envelope them in a bubble wrap, or in a paper towel. I use it also for shells. For the other specimens, I usually take them in small boxes (i.e. the "micromount" small boxes, you know what I mean!), and for bigger specimens I simply envelope them in big newspaper sheets and/or in bubble wraps. I moved my collection three times in the last 15 years and I had no problem in getting my stones ans settling them in their new place without any crash or fracture.
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2013 05:48    Post subject: Re: Bugaboo about specimen packing  

Riccardo Modanesi wrote:
Hi to everybody!
According to Matt: usually I pack my acicular specimens with an excess of cutton wool and then I envelope them in a bubble wrap, or in a paper towel. I use it also for shells. For the other specimens, I usually take them in small boxes (i.e. the "micromount" small boxes, you know what I mean!), and for bigger specimens I simply envelope them in big newspaper sheets and/or in bubble wraps. I moved my collection three times in the last 15 years and I had no problem in getting my stones ans settling them in their new place without any crash or fracture.

Hi Riccardo. Cotton wool? I can imagine that the cotton wool will be caught up in between the needles, resulting in a very unhappy customer. Can you please explain how you do this packing with cotton wool?

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2013 06:13    Post subject: Re: Bugaboo about specimen packing  

I probably did a poor job making my main point. My main point is that you don't want to package specimens in a way that the packaging material is able or likely to move RELATIVE to the specimen.

If you bunch up DCBP against the best part of the specimen, and then wrap this with more DCBP, then what you will have is a "unit" that includes the specimen and its first line of packaging. If you put this in a box with more DCBP, or bubble wrap, or whatever, you minimize the RELATIVE stresses on any part of the specimen. This will minimize any damage during shipment.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2013 07:48    Post subject: Re: Bugaboo about specimen packing  

Matt_Zukowski wrote:
I probably did a poor job making my main point. My main point is that you don't want to package specimens in a way that the packaging material is able or likely to move RELATIVE to the specimen.

If you bunch up DCBP against the best part of the specimen, and then wrap this with more DCBP, then what you will have is a "unit" that includes the specimen and its first line of packaging. If you put this in a box with more DCBP, or bubble wrap, or whatever, you minimize the RELATIVE stresses on any part of the specimen. This will minimize any damage during shipment.

Sorry Matt. I realize that I have missed (still missing) your point. Apologies. My comments actually belong to the other (related) thread: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1088

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2013 08:51    Post subject: Re: Bugaboo about specimen packing  

Hi Pierre!
It's very easy: I envelope the whole stone in this cotton "bed", thus preventing it to break if it falls or it's hitten during the travel, Then I put it in a small box or envelope the whole packaging in a newspaper sheet or in a paper towel. I always did it with my zeolite and rutile specimens and they all came to destination safe.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2013 10:51    Post subject: Re: Bugaboo about specimen packing  

Matt_Zukowski wrote:
...Please comment if you want.

I would like to add a link to a similar previous discussion: Preparing minerals for shipping

cascaillou

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 09:27    Post subject: Re: Bugaboo about specimen packing  

When I collect some mineral in the wild, I wrap the specimen in toilet paper, and then in crumpled aluminium foil (it's important to make it very crumpled). Then place it in my bag, heavier specimens first, lighter ones on top, separately from hammers and chisels.
The only problem is that toilet paper can grip thin crystals while you unwrap it, and that might break these if you don't proceed very carefully.

For acicular crystals someone suggested me to fill a box with some light and low hardness fine powder (talc, flour, or cloth washing powder), add the specimen in the middle, and then fill the box to the top with powder and seal it. If the powder is well packed, the specimen shouldn't move.

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: