We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
23 May-08:00:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 May-23:56:12 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Roger Warin)
22 May-21:22:16 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
22 May-14:54:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
22 May-11:58:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Firmo Espinar)
22 May-10:21:09 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
22 May-09:33:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 May-07:59:45 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Morgan)
22 May-04:17:03 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (James Catmur)
22 May-02:23:18 The mizunaka collection - ludlamite (Am Mizunaka)
21 May-17:26:32 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Josele)
21 May-16:01:12 Provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
21 May-12:49:16 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
20 May-22:03:46 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
20 May-20:45:03 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
20 May-19:11:50 The mizunaka collection - stalactite (Am Mizunaka)
20 May-15:43:58 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:37:59 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:32:02 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:24:04 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
19 May-14:28:05 Re: european mineral and mining museums (Robert Seitz)
19 May-13:04:59 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 May-12:31:54 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
19 May-08:49:12 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
19 May-08:08:17 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 23, 2024 12:10

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Yet another collecting software package for Minerals and other collections

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

nmCollector

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2009 20:59    Post subject: Yet another collecting software package for Minerals and other collections  

I hope I am not violating any forum rules posting this. The most likely violation may be the link - I will leave it up to the forum moderators to decide.

I have written a collecting software package in Java so it can run on any operating system that supports Java 1.6 (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.). It is highly customizable and uses templates for different types of collections. One can modify the templates to suite their needs or create their own templates from scratch.

There is a free version that should be enough to meet most collector needs and an enhanced version with more features that is available by subscription.

I am looking for feedback from members of this forum, with regard to the Geological template (yes I combined gems, minerals, and fossils :)

Thanks,

Clay Pryor
Albuquerque, New Mexico

nmCollector

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2009 18:38    Post subject: Re: Yet another collecting software package for Minerals and other collections  

I have released a whole new version of NM Collector Software JE (Java Edition) - formerly called NM Collector JE. I changed the name slightly so it will rank better on the search engines for "Collector Software."

Although I'm sure it is not as good for mineral collectors as the minerals database posted by Carles Milan, this one can be used for other types of collections as well as minerals. This one also runs on any operating system and if you do not like my field definitions you can create your own. I'm still looking for feedback as well.

If you have a previous version installed that you want to preserve the data please use the upgrade only. Otherwise, use the full install.

The following changes were made in this release:

Enhancements – Features

* Added Maintenance, Events, and Data Sheet tabs
* Allow import of existing collection type by automatically renaming new one

Enhancements – New Reports

* Maintenance, Events, and Data Sheet reports
* Various Insurance Reporting Formats
* Inventory with Pictures and Notes
* General Acquisition and Disposition for any collection type
* Firearms A&D for all firearms
* Blank Firearms A&D
* Compressed Firearms A&D Reports

Enhancements – Usability

* Reworked confirmation messages for clarity
* Sped up initial load
* Suppressed unnecessary data refreshes
* Simplified process of making a new collection type based on existing collection
* Added paste to ease activation of subscription for those who do not know how to use standard paste key sequence for their operating system

Bugs Fixed

* Fixed “disappearing” picture problem – not really disappearing from the database but not loading properly when no longer in the original file location
* Fixed missing “Demote” button on Mac
* Fixed all A&D reports to properly handle multiple acquisitions and dispositions
* Changes after initial Add of Pictures, Receipts, and Dispositions now save properly every time
* All Reports except A&D no longer include dispositioned items
* ID 10 field now properly stores values
* Can now rename an existing Collection Type without items getting orphaned
* Can now hide an existing Collection Type and associated items will be hidden as well
* Deleting a Collection Type will now also delete associated items.
* Properly shuts down attempt to start when already running
* NM Collector Data Import window no longer too small to see important fields
* Renamed “status/Activate” menu item to “Status/Activate”
* Fixed “Cancel” Image add results in crash
* Improve “Image too large” error and provide guidance as to acceptable image size
* Statistics Print is now readable – breaks up table across multiple pages
* Resolved some problems when dealing with multiple Receipts, Dispositions, and Pictures

Thanks!

Clay Pryor
Albuquerque, New Mexico

nmCollector

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2010 18:37    Post subject: The next version (2.1.0) of NM collector software JE (any collection, any platform)  

The next version (2.1.0) of NM Collector Software JE (any collection, any platform) is now available. This new release deals with issues of performance facing collectors with very large collections and lots of pictures. Prior to this release pictures could only be stored in the database causing very slow start up and shut down times for very large collections with lots of pictures. The answer to this problem is to not store pictures in the database but to leave the pictures on the computer hard drive and store a path only to the pictures in the database.

In version 2.1.0 you can now choose where your pictures are stored. Not only that, but you can have the program copy or migrate your pictures from your database to your file system and vise-versa. If you copy your pictures they will remain in their original location after being copied to the new location. If you migrate the pictures they will be deleted from their original location. This provides an easy function by which you can take pictures that are scattered throughout your file system and migrate them to the same directory as NM Collector Software JE. If that directory happens to be on a USB flash drive (which is the preferred method for running NM Collector Software) you will now have a copy of all of your pictures on the same USB flash drive. Detailed step by step illustrated instructions for how to do this can be found in the examples provided on my support web page.

Of course, this release also provides new reports to support pictures located on the file system. In addition, it provides other new features and bug fixes including the following:

* Eliminated excess save warnings when data had already been saved.

* Modified NM Gun Collector migration to default to storing pictures in the file system rather than the database.

* Provide guidance for when help won't load - seems to be a Mac only problem.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2010 01:56    Post subject: Re: Yet another collecting software package for Minerals and other collections  

nmCollector wrote:
I hope I am not violating any forum rules posting this. The most likely violation may be the link - I will leave it up to the forum moderators to decide...

Sorry Clay, but as you are selling the enhanced version of your software in the web page you linked, I deleted these links.

Your posts remains here and if someone wishes to know more about your software through this Forum, they can contact with you via PM (personal message)

Jordi
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: