We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
04 Jun-08:39:41 Re: collection of michael shaw - malachite (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-01:49:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Jordi Fabre)
03 Jun-21:44:21 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)
01 Jun-20:02:10 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
01 Jun-10:24:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-10:21:30 Is malachite rare? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:51:59 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:21:32 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-07:40:50 Re: mineral identification tips (Cascaillou)
31 May-16:04:59 Is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Gk68)
31 May-15:40:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
31 May-15:40:12 Re: is this dolomite-pyrite-siderite? (Gk68)
31 May-09:28:53 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-08:49:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
31 May-07:33:18 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-07:26:07 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (James Catmur)
31 May-06:33:57 Is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
30 May-22:57:14 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 04, 2024 14:11

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Extended DOF in Photoshop

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2012 00:39    Post subject: Extended DOF in Photoshop  

I have always been disappointed with my mineral photography. All my pictures looked somehow "fuzzy," even though I have what should be a good camera (Canon xsi), a good macro lense (Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8), and good lighting (color matched compact fluorescents). To get an adequate depth of field (DOF), I always used a high f stop (like f/32). But that, I think, was the problem. I have since learned that lenses loose sharpness at high f stops. This means that there is a tradeoff between DOF (requiring high f stops) and sharpness (requiring relatively lower f stops). Since mineral photography seems to require both a large DOF and sharpness, I thought perhaps my problem was that I had a defective or inadequate camera or both, and I pondered spending the big bucks without any guarantee that this hypothesis was correct.

Recently I discovered a procedure in photoshop that helps mitigate the tradeoff between DOF and sharpness. The way it works is you take a number of photos at low f stop (I am now using f/7.1) at different focuses. I plug the camera into my USB port, and using the live view function on the computer, focus in and take a separate picture of all parts of the specimen I want to be in focus in the final picture. Then I load all the pictures into photoshop as separate layers, and then align, merge, and flatten the layers into one image. Photoshop seems to know how to take the in-focus pieces from each picture and stitch them together. In more detail, the procedure is:

1) Open Bridge
2) Pull in photos as layers by:
. opening folder with images in bridge
. selecting all photos
. ToolsPhotoshopLoad Files Into Photoshop Layers
3) Select all layers in layers panel.
4) Align layers by going to EditAuto Align Layers (use auto)
5) Merge layers by going to EditAuto Blend Layers (choose stack)
6) Flatten result into one layer by going to LayersFlatten Image
7) Make any other edits you want
7) Save as a jpeg

I found a demonstration of this at
https://www.cameratown.com/guides/index.cfm?id=173#axzz0omfGxCPV
(link normalized by FMF)

I am attaching two examples. Pict "0094 Heulandite Savada, Jalgaon Dist 1" was the best I could do with a single high f stop picture. Compare this to Try3. "0081 Fluorite Shangbao Mine, Hunan 1" is my old picture, Untitled2 is the new picture (the colors on the old Shangbao fluorite were also incorrect for some reason.

Some might say that this photoshoping is cheating or is adding "fakeness" to my pictures. I disagree. The human eye is an amazing creation and it seems to do much better than any camera in providing a wide DOF with good sharpness. The photoshop procedure produces pictures that look much more like, and indeed almost just like, what my eye sees when I hold the specimen up to my computer and compare the picture to the real thing.

It is possible that I may have still have an inadequate or defective lense of camera. If this is the case then this photoshop procedure may not be useful to people who do have good or properly functioning equipment. But for me, with my equipment, this has rekindled a desire to photograph my specimens, without so much disappointment.

0094 Heulandite Savada, Jalgaon Dist 1.jpg
 Description:
Heulandite, Calcite, Stellerite
Savada, Jalgaon Dist
9.6 x 8.9 x 6.2
 Viewed:  6705 Time(s)

0094 Heulandite Savada, Jalgaon Dist 1.jpg

Try3.jpg
 Description:
Heulandite, Calcite, Stellerite
Savada, Jalgaon Dist
9.6 x 8.9 x 6.2
 Viewed:  6689 Time(s)

Try3.jpg

0081 Fluorite Shangbao Mine, Hunan 1.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite
Shangbao Mine, Leiyang Co., Hengyang Prefecture, Hunan Province, China
10.3 x 8.2 x 6.1
 Viewed:  6653 Time(s)

0081 Fluorite Shangbao Mine, Hunan 1.JPG

Untitled2.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite
Shangbao Mine, Leiyang Co., Hengyang Prefecture, Hunan
10.3 x 8.2 x 6.1
 Viewed:  6670 Time(s)

Untitled2.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Vinoterapia

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2012 05:01    Post subject: Re: Extended DOF in Photoshop  

Hello Matt.

The procedure that you described is called focus stacking and is widely used in macro photography. There are several dedicated programs that you can test besides photoshop, ie. Zerene Stacker, Helicon Focus and CombineZ. People using some of these programs are able to shoot stacks of over 100 pictures in order to obtain the desired DOF, and in my opinion that is not cheating.
Depending on the Canon camera that you are using you may try a freeware program named Magic Lantern. This program adds features not included under the standard canon menus, and focus stacking is one of them.
In both parts of the forum ( Spanish and English) there are several persons using this technique, if you are interested I can look up their names to direct you to their posts.

Best regards.

José Luis.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: