We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
15 Jun-14:31:54 Re: the mizunaka collection - scepter quartz (Am Mizunaka)
15 Jun-01:16:27 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Jun-01:11:55 Re: the mizunaka collection (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Jun-22:27:30 The mizunaka collection - quartz scepter (Am Mizunaka)
14 Jun-21:37:14 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
13 Jun-17:23:43 Cimge nanjing - some reflections on this show: (Jordi Fabre)
13 Jun-10:21:15 Re: contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
13 Jun-10:20:35 Re: contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
13 Jun-10:18:48 Contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
12 Jun-09:50:48 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
11 Jun-19:14:54 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
11 Jun-13:17:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
10 Jun-02:26:56 Re: the mizunaka collection (Am Mizunaka)
09 Jun-14:17:09 Re: the mizunaka collection (Philippe Durand)
09 Jun-10:54:06 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
09 Jun-08:26:55 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
09 Jun-07:47:35 Inclusion of pezzotaite in quartz (Roger Warin)
07 Jun-23:58:23 Re: cimge nanjing (Greg Lilly)
07 Jun-23:47:05 Cimge nanjing (Greg Lilly)
07 Jun-16:01:20 Re: the mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
07 Jun-09:00:55 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
07 Jun-08:52:17 Re: the mizunaka collection (Michael Shaw)
07 Jun-03:44:17 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
05 Jun-22:25:48 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
05 Jun-08:45:41 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 15, 2024 19:52

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
How keep two points at different depths in focus?

Index -> Micros & Macros - Images of Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Screenname

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 11:22    Post subject: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

How keep two points at different depths in focus? I tried this with my microscope once and could only get the micro scope to focus on one point of the stone. Though I do not own one as fancy as yours, it's basic school microscope, literally I bought it from a teacher.

simonoff

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 11:27    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

People tend to use combineZ or Helicon focus. Take multiple pictures at different depths of focus. Then use software to combine them into one. All I have been getting are somewhat blurry pictures (but much better than any of the originals), but others seem to do very well with it. I hear it take practice and experimenting.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Screenname

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 11:33    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

And are there microscopes that hook up to the computer via USB cable? I have been trying to rig a USB camera to mine but no success so far since I have no USB camera, I was thinking a high quality web cam might work.

simonoff

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 11:37    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

Just take N pictures, load them into your PC using your typical means (card, etc.) then do it there. Or are you using film?

Screenname

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 11:43    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

No it's digital and I know what you are talking about, over lap the pictures I have photo software on this computer, at least I think I do, that will do that, thanks a lot. So is that how the micro pictures on here would have been taken?

Screenname

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 11:46    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

Nope I checked no photo editing software. So what is that basic photo editing software that does that, it usually comes installed in computers but my netbook don't have anything at all installed on it. Or if you know any other photo editing programs that can do that.

jacquestouret

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 12:00    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

From my experience, very tedious to reconstruct 3D-photographic images (elaborate softwares do exist, but they are really professional). But remember that drawings are very easy, quite sufficient for many purposes (often better than photos, as you can give far more explanations!). Especially good for fluid inclusions, as these are often too thick to be focussed, even for a single inclusion.

simonoff

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 12:02    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

Again CombineZ and Helicon focus do this. CombineZ is free, can't beat the price. Helicon Focus costs, but not a lot. Just a matter of learning how to use the software.

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 17:26    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

simonoff wrote:
Again CombineZ and Helicon focus do this. CombineZ is free, can't beat the price. Helicon Focus costs, but not a lot. Just a matter of learning how to use the software.

And they do an excellent job of "stacking" the images in most cases. The exceptions tend to be images of transparent crystals with internal structure such as cleavages. It's not surprising that the computer gets confused in such a case!

I have Helicon Focus. It will properly process a stack of images, picking the most in-focus part of each one, even if the center of interest shifts slightly from image to image, and even if the images are not in sequence from top to bottom. All you do is load the individual images into the program (drag and drop) and hit "Go".

There are downsides to using these programs, especially if you do it too enthusiastically. If you get too thick a slice in focus, the resulting image can appear to be flattened - lacking depth - because we expect parts to be out of focus. Also, if everything in an image of a micromineral specimen is in focus, the viewer may not know what part of the image he's supposed to pay attention to.

zanthal

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2010 09:42    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

Perhaps taking many focused pictures in succession could simulate a slideshow that would look somewhat like video.

Jason

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2010 14:05    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

Simonoff has it right..you will need to use image stacking sofware..i have tried using it and had trouble making the pics look right..i used a free program..can't remember which one but had some trouble with it

simonoff

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2010 17:20    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

HEre is one I just did - it is a compilation of 23 images. Note this is my second attempt, so be gentle.

nontronite on mesolite and thomsonite from sugar grove, WV.

This picture is a compilation of 23 other pictures at different focal depths. I took the pictures, changing the focus in between each shot. When I was done, I off loaded the pictures from my camera to a temp directory. Then started combineZ. I pointed it at the directory and told it to run all macros. Then went to bed. Next morning this was waiting for me. I had to save it out as low quality to upload it here)

stacked_pina3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  19621 Time(s)

stacked_pina3.jpg

bugrock

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2010 13:12    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

Nice image. I have a few questions.

Was this done with macrolens or through a microscope?

Can you use the software for microphotography?

Is the software available for both Windows and Mac platforms?

Thanks

simonoff

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2010 20:19    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

Thank you!

This was done with a Meiji trinocular microscope. On it is an adapter onto which I can attach my Canon Rebel camera (with the lens removed). The adapter fits into the lens attachment.

The software is often used for macro photography as well and photo microscope work. Search the web for combineZ, combineZP and combineZM. You will see whole sites dedicated to phtographing insects and post processing the images using this software.

From what I see combineZP is Widoze only. The combineZP website is: https://www.hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CZP/News.htm
(link normalized by FMF)

Helicon Focus appears to run on the mac according to their web page.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2010 02:34    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

Bob,

Our antispam blocked your attempt of publish a link. I already recovered it and I published it in your upper post. To avoid same trouble, please next times follow this instructions -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=74

Thank you for your so useful posts!

Jordi

simonoff

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2010 07:49    Post subject: Re: How keep two points at different depths in focus?  

Thanks Jordi!

Index -> Micros & Macros - Images of Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: