We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
15 Jun-14:31:54 Re: the mizunaka collection - scepter quartz (Am Mizunaka)
15 Jun-01:16:27 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Jun-01:11:55 Re: the mizunaka collection (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Jun-22:27:30 The mizunaka collection - quartz scepter (Am Mizunaka)
14 Jun-21:37:14 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
13 Jun-17:23:43 Cimge nanjing - some reflections on this show: (Jordi Fabre)
13 Jun-10:21:15 Re: contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
13 Jun-10:20:35 Re: contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
13 Jun-10:18:48 Contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
12 Jun-09:50:48 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
11 Jun-19:14:54 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
11 Jun-13:17:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
10 Jun-02:26:56 Re: the mizunaka collection (Am Mizunaka)
09 Jun-14:17:09 Re: the mizunaka collection (Philippe Durand)
09 Jun-10:54:06 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
09 Jun-08:26:55 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
09 Jun-07:47:35 Inclusion of pezzotaite in quartz (Roger Warin)
07 Jun-23:58:23 Re: cimge nanjing (Greg Lilly)
07 Jun-23:47:05 Cimge nanjing (Greg Lilly)
07 Jun-16:01:20 Re: the mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
07 Jun-09:00:55 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
07 Jun-08:52:17 Re: the mizunaka collection (Michael Shaw)
07 Jun-03:44:17 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
05 Jun-22:25:48 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
05 Jun-08:45:41 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 15, 2024 19:44

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Duncan Miller

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2010 02:49    Post subject: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

There is an easy way to test a piece of rose quartz to see if it is a single crystal or not. I have just viewed a 679 g piece of gem rose quartz through crossed polarizing filters. On 360 degree rotation the stone blinks on and off (extinction) coherently four times = single crystal. (If you happen to view the stone down the c axis this won't work.) You can rotate the filters (together) instead of the stone, but finding filters large enough to test a 10 ton chunk might prove difficult. A photo of the sophisticated test set-up is attached.

Duncan Miller

Rose quartz under crossed polars.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26006 Time(s)

Rose quartz under crossed polars.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2010 05:49    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

Elise, I would be interested in being reminded of what the other mechanism for coloring rose or pink quartz is that was determined by George Rossmann. I am familiar with dumortierite having been found in some rose quartz, and I am aware that rutile is often cited as being present in rose quartz, but what did George come up with?

Elise

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2010 10:13    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

John S. White wrote:
Elise, I would be interested in being reminded of what the other mechanism for coloring rose or pink quartz is that was determined by George Rossmann. I am familiar with dumortierite having been found in some rose quartz, and I am aware that rutile is often cited as being present in rose quartz, but what did George come up with?

I can see that breakfast will be secondary this morning. I don't recall if he or others determined what mechanism colors the "pink" quartz, but in a note he wrote me last spring, he reminded me that the single crystal cluster onto which Jeff stuck the star cabochon (do I really want to know how he managed that?) is colored by an Al-P substitution. The nano-fibers are "dumortierite-like" (as of the talk I heard him give in 2006, one of the 2007 references below, and when I showed him the quartz last Spring 2009) which is to say, I don't believe he and his grad-students think it is actually dumortierite (Applin and Hicks first described these). And while the fibers color the rose quartz, their own coloration is due to a Fe-Ti intervalence charge transfer. If anyone has updated information, I would be interested. I have collected bits of rose quartz since I was a kid; when I attended the 2006 talk and saw his SEM image of the nano-fibers I was just amazed - I probably love scanning electron microscopy as much as I love rose quartz (I am very excited to now have my very own access to a SEM, though I wouldn't fool with hydrofluoric acid just to have a look at these fibers, nor would I sacrifice any of my rose quartz to the effort).

There are more references and explanation on that page I wrote out the link for in my previous posting above, but I put some of the primary literature references below for those who may not be familiar with them already.

Applin, K.R. and Hicks, B.D. (1987) Fibers of dumortierite in quartz. American Mineralogist, Vol. 72,pp. 170-172.

Goreva, J.S., Ma, C., and Rossman, G.R. (2001) Fiberous nano-inclusions in massive rose quartz: the origin of rose coloration. American Mineralogist, Vol. 86, pp. 466-472.

Ma, C.,Goreva, J.S., Rossman G.R. (2002) Fiberous nanoinclusions in massive rose quartz: HRTEM and AEM investitgations. American Mineralogist, Vol. 87, pp. 269-276.

Ma, C.and Rossman G.R. A. (2007) Nano-mineralogy studies by advanced electron microscopy. Microsc Microanal 13 (suppl 2), p. 164165.

Nadin, Elisabeth (2007) The Secret Lives of Minerals. Engineering and Science, No. 1, p. 10-20.

Not to hijack the thread on critiquing the quartz tree ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=901 ) - or maybe each item could be dissected just as the rose quartz - my original question had to do with placing massive rose quartz in the macro crystal branch ...and then my eye didn't go any further as it brings me back to my struggle with "massive" (shouldn't the polymorphs be erased?). The offered explanations which followed bring more questions.

Pete #1's signature includes epitaxy and his note about lack of crystal form and Pete #2 mentioned intergrowth and size of crystallinity area, brings to mind that while in NY this week I saw what a friend called "cathedral" quartz, which I had to Google. After 5 search pages of nonsense, I hit Amir's page on split growth and then with another search came right back to this forum and the thread "Photos of Epitaxy," arguing the definition of epitaxy (whether between same mineral or two different minerals). With that in mind, is intergrowth in massive quartz material related to a type of epitaxy? and does intergrowth separate it from micro/cryptocrystalline varities of quartz, in that the latter are made up of discrete crystals? John started that thread with an explanation that the relationship between the crystals is controlled by interaction between the crystal lattice of each -- that is what got me thinking along this line which may be completely wrong. But, what was a revelation to me a while ago in inclusion study was how it isn't just the crystal lattice of the host which dictates the outcome, but rather an interrelationship between the host's and the mineral inclusion's crystal lattice acting in concert (sorry, that is a complete sidetrack -- it started as a question to my mentor regarding what is dictating induced asterism in diffused corundum and expanded out into inclusion theory in general -> https://www.nordskip.com/rose.html (link normalized by FMF). Feel free to disabuse me of this line of thinking in regards to "massive," it's yet early in the morning (for me).

My file clipping of Claus Hedegaard's 2006 Lapidary Journal Rock Corner article "Rose Quartz- Delusions in Fading Pink" sums it all up "Sorry, there are no rules without exceptions!.....Don't worry, mineralogists make noises but are rarely dangerous to humans." I guess that is why I dare ask here!

Amir -- "oldstuffite-Fe, oldstuffite-Mg, oldstuffite-Mn, Oldstuffite-Ca" too funny. Yesterday, I submitted a manuscript draft with what I call a "place holder" which I forgot to take out - it sat there glaring out of screen to my embarrassment: "Dr. Muckymuck says...."

Best wishes,
Elise
PS. Duncan thank you for the email and demo above. I don't find a clear optic figure in all examples. But, wouldn't the optic figure need to be observed in all parts of the specimen? I have found uniaxial and biaxial optic figures in different areas of the same specimen (for instance, tourmaline, normally uniaxial, see image below) - where the figure is not clear or distorted, wouldn't this indicate changes in crystal growth or the intergrowth idea, not a single crystal area?

biaxialtourmaline2.jpg
 Description:
Biaxial Optic Figure in Elbaite Tourmaline
 Viewed:  25961 Time(s)

biaxialtourmaline2.jpg

Duncan Miller

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2010 11:07    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

Elise,

Strain can induce biaxial optical behaviour in otherwise uniaxial and isotropic crystals, so a biaxial figure like your elegant example in elbaite tourmaline does not necessarily indicate an intergrowth or polycrystallinity. I think it likely that gem rose quartz, at least that showing asterism, is monocrystalline, and not "massive" in the common sense of the word indicating polycrystalline intergrowth. Otherwise, as you have pointed out, how would you get regularly orientated fibres or crystallites that produce the asterism? And in at least some examples, there is clear evidence of single crystal behaviour, as demonstrated in the symmetrical extinction in my piece of rough and those gems that produce a clear uniaxial interference figure. Large, fractured, and opaque masses of rose quartz from pegmatite bodies may well be massive. The test under crossed polarizers obviously is applicable only to gem quality material. As I wrote in my private e-mail to you, perhaps "anhedral" would be a better term to describe rose quartz, which tends not to form euhedral crystals. The reason(s) why not seem unclear, but interesting. (We have hijacked the thread -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=901, and perhaps should be apologetic.)

Duncan

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2010 11:43    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

Another thread (Quartz and family) is related with this thread (where this thead grew) -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=901

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2010 11:51    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

Elise wrote:
(Big snip!) With that in mind, is intergrowth in massive quartz material related to a type of epitaxy? (Snip again!)

No, I don't see any reason to invoke epitaxy. To bring in epitaxy, with only one mineral, you'd at least have to have textural evidence of two stages of growth, which would seem to require euhedral crystals, which rose quartz lacks. I wonder if rose quartz is any different (except for color) from the colorless quartz cores often found in pegmatites. They may have very large crystal grains (i.e hundreds of pounds), but if the crystals grow enough to fill the available space, their crystal shapes are lost as they impinge on each other.

Epitaxy, or its three-dimensional equivalent, syntaxy, may well be involved in the formation of asterism, however. Very often one can find regular arrays of fibrous minerals that seem to cause the asterism (rutile, often). These are thought to have been dissolved in the main mineral initially, but exsolved in an oriented fashion as it cools. Copper inclusions in sunstone also appear to be oriented in one or two preferred directions, at leas the larger copper-colored examples.

Elise

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2010 11:55    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

I didn't mean to confuse strain and anomalous figures with any seen in the rose quartz, only that one might see confusing figures in different areas of a massive material (and quartz also can show anomolous biaxiality). Unfortunately, the large cab is frosted on the base obscuring that kind of observation unless perhaps a very strong light and using the larger microscopes might help ( I don't think I want thin sections made out of it). With some smaller Madagascar tumbled pieces I have, the asterism is visible but the optic figures are confused.

It was in regards to my presistant and lengthy questions to this that in one communique from Dr. Rossman he explained (briefly) regarding the areas of crystallinity that produce the asterism: Pink quartz is a rare single crystal variety colored by radiation induced electron hole centers involving Al - P substitutions; it does not form stars. "Within the massive material there are regions of single crystals which can span many centimeters (Rossman personal comm, 2008)." Hence, despite its aggregate nature, the regional crystal symmetry environment allows the formation of a six ray star. I've been chewing on that for 2 years. Doesn't it imply smaller areas of crystallinity (with the star coming through) rather than the idea of only relatively large single crystal areas as discussed above? In talking with Dr. Bassett about this at the time, he was of the opinion that the effect could be produced by the single crystals amongst the others and coming through as a single sharp star....which still sets me back where I was.

Although this all in regards to massive rose quartz, are there other varieties of "massive" quartz which would fit into the tree and would they be exceptions to the micro/crypto?

Best wishes,
Elise

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2010 16:37    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

Maybe a useful way to think of it is to think of the quartz deposit as a rock, not a massive mineral. Rocks are made up of mineral grains. Each grain is (typically) a single crystal of a mineral, and as such has consistent optical and crystallographic properties within the grain. But the grains (typically) have no particular orientation or relationship to each other within the rock. In a granite, the grains are quartz, feldspar, and mica, and a few other goodies. In a pod of rose quartz, the grains are quartz, quartz, and more quartz. Each grain is a single crystal, and has that same internal consistency, permitting, among other things, uniform extinction directions, and asterism. But the grains are related to each other in the "rock" at random. Whether the grains are huge, baseball sized, or marble sized, this basic texture remains true. If the grains were sand sized, you would not see asterism (and I sort of doubt if even the pink color would be apparent).

Elise

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2010 23:57    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

Pete Richards wrote:
Whether the grains are huge, baseball sized, or marble sized, this basic texture remains true. If the grains were sand sized, you would not see asterism (and I sort of doubt if even the pink color would be apparent).

Perhaps what I am seeing is only extensive fracturing within a single crystal of quartz colored by nanofibers (I'm just separating it from the rarer otherwise colored type). I like the idea of a single crystal core within the pegmatite; maybe that is also applicable on a smaller scale, and as Duncan noted, no longer a euhedral crystal. It also reminded me of the extraLapis No.1 issue on Madagascar - on page 51 it actually describes Malagasy rose quartz in just those terms: "It is always of pegmatite origin constituting the quartz core of many large dikes mainly of the Beryl-Columbite Subtype." ....."It forms giant xenomorphic crystal grains interlocked with K-feldspar grains and mica books. The boundaries between the individual crystal grains are irregularly striated and match the surfaces of the neighboring grains. Such boundaries can reach several square meters in area and mono-crystals can reach volumes of several cubic meters." It goes on to mention Dr. Rossman's studies on coloration and asterism. That would seem to pull together everyone's ideas about areas of single crystallinity (and peices cut from those); then "massive" is just a general description (as in Pete's rock analogy) and less precise than micro or cryptocrystaline - those being aggregates of a more homogeneous and, well, tiny nature.

Pushed together in the photo below are a few pieces on my desk: the two star cabochons (1&2) are transparent with no eye visible inclusions and show a uniaxial quartz optic figure (Duncan, I take it back, this larger one does show a figure though it is hard to handle); the two tumbled nuggets (3) are of similar transparency, both show asterism in transmitted and reflected light, but no optic figure or distinct isogyres, just alternating darkness and light; the fashioned egg is translucent and similar to the rough and polished material nearby (5) - it shows a sharp star in strong point source light on opposite sides. Is it only fractured so much that it seems to be massive?

One last note, Harold Killingback wrote a paper in the Journal of Gemmology called 'Stereoscopic effect in asterism and chatoyancy' Jan/April 2005 Vol 29 No 5/6 in which he pictured a nearly opaque rose quartz polished sphere exhibiting asterism. When viewed correctly, one could see the chatoyant bands seeming to float above the surface. I can't actually get my eyes to focus that way, so I have to use an antique stereoscope viewer to see it (the sphere was printed as a stereo pair). it was described as heavily fractured, I assumed massive, but should "massive" just be eliminated from our lexicon of descriptors?

It is surprising how vague and loosely used the term "massive" is in most of the text books I have on my shelves. The extraLapis article seems to be the best explanation published and I understand it better now after this thread's discussion. I had not looked at that in quite a while.

Thank you for all the thoughts today on one of my favorite minerals,
Best wishes,
Elise

roseqtz.jpg
 Description:
An assortment of rose quartz
 Viewed:  25773 Time(s)

roseqtz.jpg

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2010 16:46    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

I might be wrong here but, just for the record, I think it was Japanese mineralogist and dealer Dr. Hidemichi Hori who first proposed using the name "pink quartz" as a varietal name distinct from "rose quartz".

As was pointed out above, we don't normally invent different names when two different causes produce the same varietal phenomenon, like emerald being the result of colour contributed by vanadium or chromium (or both together). But the case of pink quartz vs rose quartz is quite different, as the different causes lead to quite different physical properties and morphologies. Because of these differences, crystal faces are frequent in pink quartz, but unlikely in rose quartz, with asterism being the reverse - much more likely in rose quartz than pink quartz. Furthermore, pink quartz could be light-sensitive, becoming paler on long exposure, whereas rose quartz should be stable in sunlight.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2010 19:52    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

Excellent points Alfredo, so where do we go from here? It would be helpful if the inclusions that are responsible for the reflections which generate stars could be identified, and it seems to me that this should be relatively easy. I note that many references attribute this to rutile, yet quartz containing "titanium" (presumably rutile) from a locality in Virginia is blue. Could be anatase I suppose. Rutile-rich quartz from Itabira, Brazil, is not pink or red.

Amir Akhavan

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2010 20:46    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

The titanium is probably inside that dumortierite look-alike (that has a different unit cell than dumortierite)
Elise has already pointed that out.

Elise

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2010 21:02    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

John S. White wrote:
Excellent points Alfredo, so where do we go from here? It would be helpful if the inclusions that are responsible for the reflections which generate stars could be identified, and it seems to me that this should be relatively easy. I note that many references attribute this to rutile, yet quartz containing "titanium" (presumably rutile) from a locality in Virginia is blue. Could be anatase I suppose. Rutile-rich quartz from Itabira, Brazil, is not pink or red.

Hi John,

Dr. Rossman maintains that the dumortierite-like fibers are responsible for the asterism as well as the rose color, although he told me if I could see any needles to let him now (I think he was joking). I have to go back to the AmMin paper to be sure of that. In Claus' article he differed with how those dumortierite needles cause the rose color, that is, by dispersing the light). The needles in my multi-star quartz from Sri Lanka are sillimanite and in some quartz they are rutile, but very fine. I took a picture of the latter, but did not note the orientation to the c axis at the time. I will have to go back do it more carefully at the lab - they were barely eye visible and a mess to figure out even under high power. I wrote up a whole summary of these on this page:
https://www.nordskip.com/rose.html
(link normalized by FMF)

There is a picture at the bottom of the page and many literature references. I would post the picture but it is a bit embarrassing; will wait for a better one with known orientation.

Best wishes,
Elise

Elise

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2010 21:07    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

Amir Akhavan wrote:
The titanium is probably inside that dumortierite look-alike (that has a different unit cell than dumortierite)
Elise has already pointed that out.

Hey we were posting simultaneously! I believe the titanium in the fibers is what confused people into thinking that it was the cause of color and indicated rutile. Another interesting note in Claus' article is about cleavage in quartz, but I won't even go there unless someone wants me to summarize what he wrote (credited to AI & Ann Frazier).

Elise

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2010 22:57    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

alfredo wrote:
I might be wrong here but, just for the record, I think it was Japanese mineralogist and dealer Dr. Hidemichi Hori who first proposed using the name "pink quartz" as a varietal name distinct from "rose quartz".

You are not wrong - MinRec 32/1 2001, pg 42. an abstract in the overview of The Minerals of Russia FM-TGM-MSA Mineralogical Symposium, Hidemichi Hori proposed that nomenclature - but, stated there that color in Brazilian pink crystals is due to trace phosphorus (and relating it to Russian synthesis of pink quartz) while the color in the massive variety was believed to be trace titanium. There is that "massive" again, not to mention titanium. I had a clipping from one of the gemology journals referencing this in a blurb about distinctions between massive and single crystal pink colored quartz and proposed nomenclature (it did nothing to clarify for me what massive really meant). It mentioned the larger unit cell of the fibers, but also that these occur in three oxidation states, one of which has a pink color (Claus had written that the fibers were not pink). The Hori abstract didn't elaborate on this - as I said, it attributed color to titanium.

(In the above posting, that was supposed to be "Si" and Ann - sorry, typo).

Dean Allum

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 13:14    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

Duncan,

I created that setup and saw 4-extinctions per 360 degree rotation when the Z-axis was perpendicular to the light. This setup does not appear to work if the surface is frosted or there are excessive internal ghosts.

When you place thin sections of mica between the polarizers, you get a Psychedelic Party!!!

I am going to put this onto an overhead projector for the next rock talk that I give to an elementary school. I am also wondering what this would look like with those orthogonal polarized lenses now used in 3-D theaters.

Thanks,
Dean Allum

Duncan Miller

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2010 03:57    Post subject: Re: Rose Quartz - Single crystal or not?  

Dean

See Olaf Medenbach's superb web site <homepage> for ideas about working with polarized light and crystals. Go to "How to play with polarized light", download the file, and save it for future use. He explains how to you use a flat screen monitor or cell phone as a source of plane polarized light. Most overhead projector lamps are not bright enough but you can use an ordinary slide projector (if you can find one) as a light source for demonstrations. I haven't tried using a digital data projector and don't know their polarization characteristics.

My understanding is that the REALD 3D spectacles used in most movies operate with circularly polarized light. You can get paradoxical effects if they aren't orientated correctly. Try using them mutually reversed to obtain extinction. This is because the plane polarizing filter has an incorporated 1/4 wave plate on one side (as explained on Olaf's site), which converts plane to circular polarization, and vice versa if the right way around.

Duncan

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: