We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
05 Jun-08:45:41 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-20:17:45 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
04 Jun-15:27:00 Re: the mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
04 Jun-08:39:41 Re: collection of michael shaw - malachite (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-01:49:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Jordi Fabre)
03 Jun-21:44:21 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)
01 Jun-20:02:10 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
01 Jun-10:24:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-10:21:30 Is malachite rare? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:51:59 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:21:32 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-07:40:50 Re: mineral identification tips (Cascaillou)
31 May-16:04:59 Is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Gk68)
31 May-15:40:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
31 May-15:40:12 Re: is this dolomite-pyrite-siderite? (Gk68)
31 May-09:28:53 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-08:49:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
31 May-07:33:18 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 05, 2024 20:03

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Mineral Display Case Project
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Turbo

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2015 17:22    Post subject: Re: Mineral Display Case Project.  

rfarrar wrote:
Nice looking cabinet and display. You have some great calcites. I would be concerned that the Homestake Mine calcite might be mis-labelled. I know of no calcites of this habit from the Homestake Mine, Lawrence Co., SD in the SDSM&T collection or the Black Hills Institute collection. What is the matrix? Most of those from the Homestake have a little phyllite or cummingtonite- gruenerite schist on the back. Homestake Mining Corporation has (had) mines in many states, most referred to locally as the Homestake Mine. Perhaps this one got attributed to the wrong state somewhere along the line.

Bob

Hi,

You would know SD material better than me. It appears to have been acid dipped. The crystal edges are rounded aggressively. I've attached pictures of the matrix. Looks like it could be chert?

Ed

IMG_3882.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  10647 Time(s)

IMG_3882.JPG

IMG_3884.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  10667 Time(s)

IMG_3884.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  10674 Time(s)

IMG_3885.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

rfarrar

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2015 19:01    Post subject: Re: Mineral Display Case Project  

Ed,

The SD Homestake is a preCambrian metamorphic deposit. Perhaps this came from a Homestake owned mine in the Tri-State or New Lead Belt of Missouri.

Bob

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2015 16:05    Post subject: Re: Mineral Display Case Project  

Ed,

I believe Bob is right in thinking that the Homestake Mine piece is from the Tri-State District. The chert matrix is a dead giveaway, and a high percentage of calcite specimens from there were acid dipped to increase their luster. There is a Homestake Mine in the Granby Field of the Tri-State District, Newton County Missouri. I'll bet that's where this specimen is from.

Michael

Turbo

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2015 17:25    Post subject: Re: Mineral Display Case Project  

I agree. It's probably from the Tri State District. I will have to change the label.

Thanks!

Martin Rich

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2015 22:37    Post subject: Re: Mineral Display Case Project  

This is a very, very nice display and as a fan of calcite I like all your specimens.

Martin

keith compton

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2015 23:16    Post subject: Re: Mineral Display Case Project  

Hi Turbo

Well done on the construction of the case, and you have some great calcite specimens.

My only suggestion would be to consider using some form of base for the minerals - the glass can scratch easily, particularly with the heavier pieces. You can get perspex cut to size - very little cost - no need for expensive custom made bases. Other material includes felt, flat cork sheet - easily cut to size, black painted wood (even balsa wood).

On the labels I note the use of a comma at the end of the first line - not needed.

Well done

Cheers
Keith

Turbo

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2015 12:29    Post subject: Re: Mineral Display Case Project  

Hi,

They all have custom bases I either made myself with plaster or acrylic with felt feet. Some just have felt feet. I hid the bases as best I could and painted them to color of matrix. So none of the minerals actually touch the glass!

Best,
Ed

Turbo

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2015 21:26    Post subject: Re: Mineral Display Case Project.  

Another label that I'm curious about possibly needing a change is the calcite (DSC_1679.JPG) pictured that was said to be from Brushy Creek Mine. It may be No. 29 Mine, but I'd need more corroboration. It has a form that somewhat deviates from the typical brushy creek. The form is similar to those from No. 28 Mine, except that it is gray. I've seen one identical gray crystal labeled No. 29 Mine.

2015-06-17 10.25.20 pm.jpg
 Mineral: Calcite
 Description:
Possibly No. 29 Mine?
 Viewed:  9618 Time(s)

2015-06-17 10.25.20 pm.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2015 21:48    Post subject: Re: Mineral Display Case Project  

29 is correct. These were mined maybe 15 years or so ago by a contractor, Mark Kielbaso, I believe. He could probably tell you the drift it was collected in. His contact is through Mindat or his webite (google his name).

Turbo

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2015 18:56    Post subject: Re: Mineral Display Case Project  

Mark has confirmed it is a No. 29 specimen. Exciting news! Thanks!

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 3 of 3
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

Jump to: