We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 03:32

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Unidentified green crystal
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

MKomishyn

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 14:14    Post subject: Unidentified green crystal  

Hello, and thank you all in advance for your help.

I have been amateur rock-hounding this past year, and I found a crystal I cannot identify. I read a lot of conflicting information online regarding mineral properties, but even with these conflicts, I could not find a match.
Is there such a thing as green almandine? Mineralogy is one of the most challenging and rewarding fields I've ever dabbled in. I think I'm hooked, but right now, this gem has me up the creek without a paddle.

Here are the properties--

Hardness: between 6+ and 7
easily scratches titanium but not quartz; My 7 moh's hardness pick leaves a tiny line (white streak) on the mineral, but I can't get it to deeply scratch like other minerals.

Refractive Index: between 1.7825 and 1.783 ; I could not produce any birefringence.
I couldn't find anything matching its refractive index except Almandine, which is harder than my mineral. My refractometer seems to be in working order (tested known PET and quartz samples).

Specific gravity: no setup for this; working on it.

Crystal habit: hexagonal???
I *think* this is a hexagonal specimen because it seems to have 60 degree angles, but I don't know the crystal class-- still a little new with this regard.

Heat:
I also heated a sliver of the specimen (bic lighter until it was blackened so about 1000C for 15 seconds). It stayed untouchably hot for about a minute or two (very thin fragment), but it didn't change color.

Magnetic: no
The mineral has no magnetic drag or pick-up (tested with neodynium magnets).

Any advice would be appreciated. I'd really like to figure out what this is.

small_piece1.jpg
 Mineral: Almandine
 Dimensions: 51mm, 38mm, 25mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  17355 Time(s)

small_piece1.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

MKomishyn

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 14:16    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

Sliver is translucent green

sliver2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  17372 Time(s)

sliver2.jpg

MKomishyn

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 14:17    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

These pieces were fractured from a larger piece.

20200217_124209.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  17357 Time(s)

20200217_124209.jpg

MKomishyn

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 14:19    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

The original specimen

20200215_122025.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  17367 Time(s)

20200215_122025.jpg

John Betts

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 14:24    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

Where was it collected?
Knowing the geologic setting (pegmatite? skarn? vein?) will help narrow the possibilities...

Anísio Cláudio

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 14:42    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

Hi,

Good afternoon. What is the density?

Anísio

MKomishyn

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 15:14    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

The specimen was found in an older riverbed that a creek now runs through. It is East of the NC piedmont area and West of the coastal plain.
This area once was part of a volcanic island chain that migrated from North Africa and added onto what is now North Carolina.
I'll often find large quartz veins, feldspar, hematites and other iron ores, and lots of igneous rocks. The granite I find is usally diorite, and we do have large bedrock formations that stick out of the ground around here.
Mica (all flavors) and muscovite is also abundant.

As for specific gravity, I'm going to have to get an accurate scale. Thanks! I'll post back when I find out the SG. It doesn't feel very heavy, though. I'd say it's less than 4.x.

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 15:39    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

I don't see any signs of crystal faces or prominent cleavages. It could be quartz with a greenish color imparted by epidote or chlorite, or it could a member of the epidote group. It's hard to say, given its lack of crystal form and near lack of transparency. I think an impure quartz is more likely.

MKomishyn

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 15:41    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

Would that throw off the refractive index that much? Sorry, I'm very new to this.

MKomishyn

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 15:45    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

Better picture of what I thought were faces.

big_piece4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  17299 Time(s)

big_piece4.jpg

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 15:52    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

That's a good question and I don't know the answer, though I would doubt it.

I have no experience with measuring refractive indices using refractometers Doesn't that require a flat surface on the mineral?

Quartz has a range of refractive indices depending on orientaiton, from 1.544 to 1.553. This specimen is probably polycrystalline, so you would probably get an average reading. As long as there is not a large bias in your measurement for some reason, your measurements are not consistent with quartz.

Have you got access to a petrographic microscope?

MKomishyn

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 16:17    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

I think you are both right in thinking it is colored quartz. I retested my refractometer and something is off. Sorry, but I really appreciate all the help. I'm an amateur basically stumbling around the house looking for the light switch.. Mineralogy is a pretty big house! :)
Thank you all.

Mike

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 16:21    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

It's fine to be an amateur! You are doing the right things - trying to gather as much data as you can, trying to learn more, and actively thinking about the new information you get and how it relates to your own ideas. All of us were in that position once upon a time.... and sometimes find ourselves in that position even now!

MKomishyn

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 16:58    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

Thanks for the encouragement. I am pretty sure what is happening is that I don't have a flat enough surface and so I am getting the refractive index of the contact fluid. I'm going to try to grind it down later and see if I can get a clean reading. Thanks again, everyone!

Bob Carnein

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2020 21:11    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

If the refractive indices are at all close to actually being right, it might be an olivine. NC has several olivine localities. Hardness is 6.5 - 7.

SteveB

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2020 08:03    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

I’m thinking much along similar lines as others, quartz based, olivine related. My understanding with measuring refractive index is usually requiring a pure crystal, ie. good clarity as well as a polished flat surface to place against the device. Inclusions internally will throw off the reading. I'm more knowledgeable with optics where the light beam enters the front of the sample directly with no air gap and travels into the medium and internally reflected back with deflection angle measured. Light “bends” refracts at every transition between mediums. So here you have the specimen, air and a special oil (made to ensure no air gap with little deflection. Its all geometry and depending on the method used it can be read from the front in relation to the light source or behind where a linear light source is expected to reach a detector. Its easier to linear polarize the light and use spectroscopy method to measure reflected deflection.

Ouch, my brain hurts. Anyway what you thought were crystal facets I don't think are related to crystallography, but are more related to the geometric fracturing of rapidly cooling materials. Think mud cracks or basaltic columns. So I would be looking at minerals often associated with volcanic magma flows into water where it cools more rapidly and cracks at the surface of the lava.

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2020 18:22    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

Hi, M,

I've read all the responses to your question, and people's ideas seem to be circulating around a similar group of minerals. When I looked at your photos and read what you said, my first thoughts were, epidote, and olvine.

If your high (>1.7) refractive index measurement was at all correct, it would suggest epidote. But you do really need to have an optically flat, polished surface (like the table facet of a gemstone) to get a reliable refractive index reading. [One reads, " Epidote has a high refractive index, similar to pyrope garnet."

My comment, your photos, including the "sliver", seem overall too dark green to likely be just green-included quartz. Just my impression! But, photos can be deceptive, in trying to recognize a mineral.

Good luck with further progress in confirming what it is!

P.S., just an amusing sideline, about how "one must be careful about what one reads", when I typed in to Google, "refractive index of olivine", the first thing that came up was a picture of a faceted peridot with, in big bold lettering, "Peridot / refractive index 2.63-2.65". That iss totally wrong--those numbers are the specific gravity of peridot, not the refractive index!

SteveB

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2020 04:38    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

Thinking further I'd be looking into the Serpentinite group for the answer.

MKomishyn

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2020 14:16    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

I borrowed a presidium gem tester 2, and it reads as jadeite. That sort of fits with all of the other properties, and jadeite is found in NC (not often). I will post back after I get my triple-beam scale so I can measure specific gravity. Though, I'm leaning heavily toward jadeite after reading all of its properties (vitreous to greasy, around 6.5 mohs, splintery fracture, and I think it shows cleavage, though those faces could have been because they were crammed between two other crystals, I suppose).

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2020 15:09    Post subject: Re: Unidentified green crystal  

Those gem testers are designed for use on polished gems. They don‘t really work well on rough stones.
But there is another test you can easily do yourself - Fusibility. See description in a Mindat article: https://www.mindat.org/article.php/883/Jade

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: