We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 09:25

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Shows 2022
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

bob kerr

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2022 16:33    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

New in one of the Russian rooms (they did not have signage at the front door - as a matter of fact only a few dealers had signage telling you who's in this room) are Natrolites in a very blocky form and a pseudomorph I am not familiar with: Calcite after Ikaite (?).

bob

IMG_5429.jpg
 Mineral: Natrolite
 Description:
Unique blocky form
 Viewed:  13746 Time(s)

IMG_5429.jpg

IMG_5430.jpg
 Mineral: Natrolite
 Description:
 Viewed:  13756 Time(s)

IMG_5430.jpg

IMG_5432.jpg
 Mineral: Calcite after Ikaite
 Description:
 Viewed:  13735 Time(s)

IMG_5432.jpg

IMG_5433.jpg
 Mineral: Calcite after Ikaite
 Description:
Called Glendonite here
 Viewed:  13742 Time(s)

IMG_5433.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2022 16:47    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

For years brothers Paolo and Carlos Vasconcelos had HTCC rooms (next to each other) and also tents displaying their wonderful Brazilian minerals. The work now falls to Paolo's son who had a huge room in the "F" Building at Min City - YES! there is a "F" Building.

I didn't notice much in the way of new items, but it seems the prices are similar to years past - bucking a trend of much higher prices typically observed over the show.

bob

IMG_5434.JPG
 Mineral: Various
 Description:
Vasconcelos Minerals room in the "F" Building
 Viewed:  13720 Time(s)

IMG_5434.JPG

IMG_5435.JPG
 Description:
Vasconcelos Minerals room in the "F" Building
 Viewed:  13725 Time(s)

IMG_5435.JPG

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2022 17:13    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

I stopped by the old La Fuente Restaurant which now houses the Jewel Tunnel Imports dealership - originally the domain the the the late and great Rock Currier. They were handing out full color brochures announcing the next auction of Rock's top end rocks.

The previewing of this "Part 2 Auction" starts this Saturday Jan 29 and the Auction is on Feb 7.

I thought I'd post some of the pages for those of you who can't be here. It includes a nice write-up on Rock.

Enjoy,
bob

IMG_5437.JPG
 Mineral: Rock Currier Auction Brochure
 Description:
 Viewed:  13699 Time(s)

IMG_5437.JPG

IMG_5438.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  13702 Time(s)

IMG_5438.JPG

IMG_5439.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  13721 Time(s)

IMG_5439.JPG

IMG_5440.JPG
 Description:
Rock Currier Auction Brochure
 Viewed:  13703 Time(s)

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5441.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  13711 Time(s)

IMG_5441.JPG

IMG_5442.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  13693 Time(s)

IMG_5442.JPG

IMG_5443.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  13697 Time(s)

IMG_5443.JPG

IMG_5444.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  13699 Time(s)

IMG_5444.JPG

IMG_5445.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  13708 Time(s)

IMG_5445.JPG

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2022 18:07    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

minsur wrote:
Unfortunately, the color of these quartzes is of anthropogenic origin. )

Are you certain of the anthropogenic origin? I've searched quite a bit and found a mindat post by John Rakovan who disputes this:

https://www.mindat.org/mesg-446817.html

A large source of these is Pachamama Minerals and they have stated it is Halloysite inclusions and that keeping them in Oxalic too long eliminates the yellow.

bob

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2022 09:52    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

bob kerr wrote:
minsur wrote:

Are you certain of the anthropogenic origin? I've searched quite a bit and found a mindat post by John Rakovan who disputes this:

A large source of these is Pachamama Minerals and they have stated it is Halloysite inclusions and that keeping them in Oxalic too long eliminates the yellow.

Recommended reading: Quartz and Humboldtine? from Colombia

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2022 10:16    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
bob kerr wrote:
minsur wrote:

Recommended reading: Quartz and Humboldtine? from Colombia

Attached is a photo taken in the back of a dealer in Muzo, some years back, when these were just starting to appear on the market.
Oxalic acid bath for who knows how long to remove limonite crust and matrix.

(Jordi or an admin, feel free to move this post or copy it to a more appropriate location if needed)

IMG_20191207_081436993.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz
 Locality:
Cabiche, Quípama, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Dimensions: 100 litre barrel
 Description:
Quartz from Quipama being "treated" in Muzo
 Viewed:  13375 Time(s)

IMG_20191207_081436993.jpg

minsur

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2022 14:18    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

bob kerr wrote:
minsur wrote:

bob

In the Munich Show report 2021, p. 4, you will find an excellent explication by Carles (in Spanish) .

I really appeciate your posts - thank you very much and please keep going on!.

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2022 16:52    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

minsur wrote:

In the Munich Show report 2021, p. 4, you will find an excellent explication by Carles (in Spanish) ..

I looked up Carles's post referred to by minsur - a rough translation:

"I would like to highlight something related to the Colombian Quartz that has proliferated in recent times and that have been "baptized" as "Mango Quartz",

In Rocks & Minerals magazine there is an article by John Rakovan where he explains it well. In a personal conversation with Alfredo Petrov, during the last edition of the Sants Fair, he explained that these Quartz have micro-pipes that go into the prism. When they were filled with mud there were two possible explanations, or mixture of both, about the origin of that yellowish color in the termination of the crystals. The mud itself would have been embedded in the glass through these small gutters and, in addition, during the process of cleaning the Quartz and the consequent use of acids, the same mud would have reacted with the acid causing the "inclusions" of the reaction within the crystals.

With all this I intend to point out that, finally, someone labels those Quartzes as what they really are, Quartz. Such wisdom is appreciated."

So - let me try to provide a possible explanation that I think allows John and Carles/Alfredo and reputable dealers all to be correct:
1 - Somehow, mother nature allowed some quartz crystal to grow with micro "channels" and they only are present towards the tips.
2 - Many (most?) crystals grow in the presence of limonite and these "channels" also grow in the presence of this iron
3- when the quartz is dug from the ground, it is encased in the iron and miners have found that soaking in oxalic will clean the iron from the quartz and raise their value.
4 - if the quartz is removed from the oxalic and rinsed AT THE RIGHT TIME, the iron in the "channels" remains and shows the yellow color (and appears as "fibers" included in the quartz.)
5 - if the quartzes are left in the oxalic for a long enough time, even the "channels" are cleared of iron when rinsed

If the above is true, then there's really no sinister intent involved - some quartzes just come out of the oxalic with yellow tips.

You will note that many of these "mango" quartzes still have some iron in or on their matrix - it is very powdery and rubs off on your fingers - UGH! So, you couldn't fault dealers - like Pachamama - from cleaning them again with fresh oxalic and finding that the additional bath has cleaned out the micro "channels" effectively ruining the specimen. (To no one's surprise Pachamama does no further oxalic cleaning after they lost thousands of $ cleaning yellow tipped quartz that simply turned into quartz.)

What caused the micro "channels" in the first place is another interesting issue.

comment and other thoughts are welcome,
bob

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2022 17:04    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

I went over to the Riverpark Inn today (The Pueblo Show) looking for some dealers that usually hang out in the annex, but the annex was closed - nobody home.

But Cristalli was in their usual booth and had some excellent Iranian wulfenites. Yes - from Iran. I'll let the photos do the talking.

bob

IMG_5454.JPG
 Mineral: Cristali booth at the Riverpark Inn
 Description:
 Viewed:  13211 Time(s)

IMG_5454.JPG

IMG_5447.JPG
 Mineral: Wulfenite
 Locality:
Ahmad Abad, Yazd Province, Iran
 Description:
 Viewed:  13393 Time(s)

IMG_5447.JPG

IMG_5448.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  13240 Time(s)

IMG_5448.JPG

IMG_5450.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  13207 Time(s)

IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5451.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  13191 Time(s)

IMG_5451.JPG

IMG_5452.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  13193 Time(s)

IMG_5452.JPG

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2022 17:40    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022 - Mango stuff  

bob kerr wrote:
minsur wrote:

In the Munich Show report 2021, p. 4, you will find an excellent explication by Carles (in Spanish) ..

"I would like to highlight something related to the Colombian Quartz that has proliferated in recent times and that have been "baptized" as "Mango Quartz",

In Rock & Minerals magazine there is an article by John Rakovan where he explains it well. In a personal conversation with Alfredo Petrov, during the last edition of the Sants Fair, he explained that these Quartz have micro-pipes that go into the prism. When they were filled with mud there were two possible explanations, or mixture of both, about the origin of that yellowish color in the termination of the crystals. The mud itself would have been embedded in the glass through these small gutters and, in addition, during the process of cleaning the Quartz and the consequent use of acids, the same mud would have reacted with the acid causing the "inclusions" of the reaction within the crystals.

With all this I intend to point out that, finally, someone labels those Quartzes as what they really are, Quartz. Such wisdom is appreciated."

So - let me try to provide a possible explanation that I think allows John and Carles/Alfredo and reputable dealers all to be correct:
1 - Somehow, mother nature allowed some quartz crystal to grow with micro "channels" and they only are present towards the tips.
2 - Many (most?) crystals grow in the presence of limonite and these "channels" also grow in the presence of this iron
3- when the quartz is dug from the ground, it is encased in the iron and miners have found that soaking in oxalic will clean the iron from the quartz and raise their value.
4 - if the quartz is removed from the oxalic and rinsed AT THE RIGHT TIME, the iron in the "channels" remains and shows the yellow color (and appears as "fibers" included in the quartz.)
5 - if the quartzes are left in the oxalic for a long enough time, even the "channels" are cleared of iron when rinsed

If the above is true, then there's really no sinister intent involved - some quartzes just come out of the oxalic with yellow tips.

You will note that many of these "mango" quartzes still have some iron in or on their matrix - it is very powdery and rubs off on your fingers - UGH! So, you couldn't fault dealers - like Pachamama - from cleaning them again with fresh oxalic and finding that the additional bath has cleaned out the micro "channels" effectively ruining the specimen. (To no one's surprise Pachamama does no further oxalic cleaning after they lost thousands of $ cleaning yellow tipped quartz that simply turned into quartz.)

What caused the micro "channels" in the first place is another interesting issue.

bob

From the pieces I have seen and examined here in Colombia I can try and answer some of your 5 points

....I have seen quartzes with those fibrous looking possible micro-channels in other parts and not always extending to the tip, tho that seems more common in those found in Quipama

I have some pieces that weren't totally encrusted in limonite when extracted but do have pseudomorphs of dolomite/siderite/calcite rhombs into limonite
...I thus think that the encrusted ones were encased in those minerals later "dissolved" into limonite that penetrated the channels already in the quartz, most likely while still in the ground

When the encrusted pieces were cleaned, I expect the miners and some of the local dealers were using as little oxalic as they could to clean the surface
...along came some foreigners hailing this yellow tipped result as a magnificent "humboldtine" inclusion unique find and prices here in Colombia skyrocketed as first pieces hit the market in the rest of the world.... thus further encouraging the locals to only let the oxalic treatment go as far as to make the surface clean and not penetrate all the way in

the "fibrous" channels show as whitish when not filled with the limonite that they came encrusted with on the outside... that may have seeped further in during shorter oxalic treatment, that further treatment may have also cleaned back out

....I as I haven't seen many with whitish tips here in Colombia, more of them are whitish if the "fibrous" channels don't reach the tip.... I wonder that just the oxalic treatment alone isn't enough to clean the pipes, but later treatment may have utilized ultrasonic as well, that would have "helped" in removing the limonite residue from the open-ended pieces

...I know this is a lot of speculation, but all based on observation both over time and seeing what I encounter here in Colombia (both specimens and the types that are selling)

P.S. the ones with open "fibrous channels" at the tip range very much in their colour... from deep-rusty to the seemingly most popular intense yellow... fading all the way back into almost bluish-white wisps.

See also my two specimens posted in my collection here
https://www.topminerals.info/index.php?level=picture&id=136511&searchterms=&searchauthor=Bergur_E_Sigurdarson
https://www.topminerals.info/index.php?level=picture&id=136512&searchterms=&searchauthor=Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

colombia-quartz-sprays.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz, limonite (after ferrous dolomite/siderite/calcite?), Albite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 28 x 15 x 6 cm appx
 Description:
Albite is a visual ID guess
Quartz sprays are nearly 5cm across, some with minor wisps
Rhombs of limonite in various stages of degradation to nearly 3 cm
 Viewed:  13152 Time(s)

colombia-quartz-sprays.jpg

colombia-quartz-sprays-detail.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz, limonite (after ferrous dolomite/siderite/calcite?), Albite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 28 x 15 x 6 cm appx
 Description:
Slight closer look
Albite is a visual ID guess
Quartz sprays are nearly 5cm across, some with minor wisps
Rhombs of limonite in various stages of degradation to nearly 3 cm
 Viewed:  13161 Time(s)

colombia-quartz-sprays-detail.jpg

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2022 05:22    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

By the way, if a visitor opens a photo by clicking on it they can then zoom digitally so you can save yourself the effort of doing so for them and of posting two images, one of which is a digital zoom of the other.

minsur

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2022 15:44    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

bob kerr wrote:
minsur wrote:

In Rocks & Minerals magazine there is an article by John Rakovan where he explains it well. In a personal conversation with Alfredo Petrov, during the last edition of the Sants Fair, he explained that these Quartz have micro-pipes that go into the prism. When they were filled with mud there were two possible explanations, or mixture of both, about the origin of that yellowish color in the termination of the crystals. The mud itself would have been embedded in the glass through these small gutters and, in addition, during the process of cleaning the Quartz and the consequent use of acids, the same mud would have reacted with the acid causing the "inclusions" of the reaction within the crystals.

bob

The whole story reminds me of something that happended decades ago - in Morocco...

Some lucky individual there, trying to clean Anglesite specimens from Touissit by means of a local cleaning agent called "Eau de Javelle", used to clean just about everything in this country;-), learned by coincidence, that his ugly, white, grey and pale Anglesites surprisingly changed color to deep orange-yellowish hues. Something never ever seen before from anywhere and this even without losing luster! The following frenzy went to to the extent, that even nice and lovely naturally yellow colored specimens were submitted to this kind of treatment and therefore destroyed for ever.

I guess, a similar amount of money, if not even more than with the "Mango-Stuff" was in play, as the fraud went on for several years.
A few heavily involucrated dealers - OF COURSE and certainly NOT the Moroccan ones;-)) - almost got broke at the time....

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2022 15:47    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

Today was the open house viewing of the latest Rock Currier deaccession - see previous post. There were also some items from his collection for sale. A real treat was noticing that one of the "special" auction items will be his Peruvian fur coat - kind of a signature piece for him. The sale of the will benefit Mindat.

bob

IMG_5456.JPG
 Mineral: Rock Currier's fur Peruvian jacket
 Description:
Up for auction to benefit Mindat
 Viewed:  12746 Time(s)

IMG_5456.JPG

IMG_5457.JPG
 Mineral: Rock Currier's fur Peruvian jacket
 Description:
Up for auction to benefit Mindat
 Viewed:  12736 Time(s)

IMG_5457.JPG

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2022 16:25    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

And now for some true eye-candy. Valenzuela Minerals opened today displaying some of the most electric, electric blue azurites from Milpillas ever to come from the mine. These are older pieces that just came out of storage and are excellent. I'll let the photos do the talking.

bob

IMG_5458.JPG
 Mineral: Azurite
 Locality:
Milpillas Mine, Cuitaca, Municipio Santa Cruz, Sonora, Mexico
 Description:
To me this was the best piece on display.
 Viewed:  12735 Time(s)

IMG_5458.JPG

IMG_5464.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Closeup of what I think is the best piece they had.
 Viewed:  12764 Time(s)

IMG_5464.JPG

IMG_5459.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  12711 Time(s)

IMG_5459.JPG

IMG_5460.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  12719 Time(s)

IMG_5460.JPG

IMG_5461.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  12703 Time(s)

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_5462.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  12715 Time(s)

IMG_5462.JPG

IMG_5463.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  12710 Time(s)

IMG_5463.JPG

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2022 16:46    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

As promised previously, Tomek at Spirifer mineral put out for display his hoard of Moroccan Tourmalines - very impressive - especially the large matrix piece with Feldspar.

And, next to the Tourmalines, was a group of interesting Marcasites from Iowa. I'm not a fan of marcasite due to its tendency to go decrepit but these are interesting and not that expensive.

bob

IMG_5465.JPG
 Mineral: Tourmaline
 Description:
 Viewed:  12758 Time(s)

IMG_5465.JPG

IMG_5466.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  12727 Time(s)

IMG_5466.JPG

IMG_5467.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  12731 Time(s)

IMG_5467.JPG

IMG_5469.JPG
 Mineral: marcasite
 Locality:
Iowa, USA
 Description:
 Viewed:  12711 Time(s)

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_5470.JPG
 Mineral: marcasite
 Locality:
Iowa, USA
 Description:
 Viewed:  12697 Time(s)

IMG_5470.JPG

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2022 17:04    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

minsur wrote:

The whole story reminds me of something that happended decades ago - in Morocco...

Some lucky individual there, trying to clean Anglesite specimens from Touissit by means of a local cleaning agent called "Eau de Javelle", used to clean just about everything in this country;-), learned by coincidence, that his ugly, white, grey and pale Anglesites surprisingly changed color to deep orange-yellowish hues. Something never ever seen before from anywhere and this even without losing luster! The following frenzy went to to the extent, that even nice and lovely naturally yellow colored specimens were submitted to this kind of treatment and therefore destroyed for ever.

I guess, a similar amount of money, if not even more than with the "Mango-Stuff" was in play, as the fraud went on for several years.
A few heavily involucrated dealers - OF COURSE and certainly NOT the Moroccan ones;-)) - almost got broke at the time....

Yah - some definite parallels but I think this Colombian "mango" quartz story is a bit more "innocent". - maybe not.

by the way, I tried to reverse the anglesite color - see:
https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=4000&highlight=

bob

minsur

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2022 18:22    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

bob kerr wrote:
minsur wrote:

Yah - some definite parallels but I think this Colombian "mango" quartz story is a bit more "innocent". - maybe not.

by the way, I tried to reverse the anglesite color - see:
https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=4000&highlight=

bob

"Innocent"? Colombia?;-) Smile, smile and again;-))

I hope this thread helps a bit in the way, that not too many collectors get heavily burned, as the asking prices for this stuff are just totally outrageous, even if the specimens were natural.

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2022 21:58    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

I stopped in to visit the Ramoses in the Top Gem annex who specialize in Peruvian minerals. They were in the process of boxing up dozens of flats for two dealers - maybe a few hundred flats. Sales were indeed good - no, great.

They did have one new interesting Peruvian treat - chrysocolla covering quartz from The Tentadora Mine - unique pieces.

bob

IMG_5472.JPG
 Mineral: Chrysocolla on Quartz
 Locality:
Tentadora Mine, Ullpac Mountain, Huancano District, Pisco Province, Ica Department, Peru
 Description:
 Viewed:  12124 Time(s)

IMG_5472.JPG

IMG_5473.JPG
 Mineral: Chrysocolla on Quartz
 Locality:
Tentadora Mine, Ullpac Mountain, Huancano District, Pisco Province, Ica Department, Peru
 Description:
 Viewed:  12103 Time(s)

IMG_5473.JPG

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2022 16:18    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

Went into the always interesting Miner's Lunchbox room this morning and was greeted by two huge, lustrous and pretty much damage free Galenas from the Sweetwater Mine in MO acting as coffee table centerpieces. They must weigh a ton so there's little risk of someone walking off with one - although the coffee tables may need to be reinforced!

They also had a shelf full of excellent Brazilian tourmalines among their excellent selection of worldwide minerals - see photo.

bob

IMG_5480.JPG
 Mineral: Galena
 Locality:
Sweetwater Mine, Ellington, Viburnum Trend District, Reynolds County, Missouri, USA
 Description:
 Viewed:  11784 Time(s)

IMG_5480.JPG

IMG_5487.JPG
 Mineral: Galena
 Locality:
Sweetwater Mine, Ellington, Viburnum Trend District, Reynolds County, Missouri, USA
 Description:
 Viewed:  11740 Time(s)

IMG_5487.JPG

IMG_5485.JPG
 Mineral: Tourmalines
 Locality:
Pederneira claim, São José da Safira, Governador Valadares, Vale do Rio Doce, Minas Gerais, Brazil
 Description:
 Viewed:  11762 Time(s)

IMG_5485.JPG

bob kerr

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2022 16:11    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2022  

I again visited Frederick Gauthier of Little Big Stone - his shipment of new Madagascar specimens is still held up. Delays like this can be devastating to international dealers - it occurs all too often.

He did, however, have some wonderful Madagascar fluorites on matrix - see photos.

I'll report back when his shipment arrives.

bob

IMG_5491.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Locality:
Mandronarivo area, Beroroha District, Atsimo Andrefana Region, Toliara Province (Tuléar), Madagascar
 Description:
 Viewed:  11480 Time(s)

IMG_5491.JPG

IMG_5492.JPG
 Locality:
Mandronarivo area, Beroroha District, Atsimo Andrefana Region, Toliara Province (Tuléar), Madagascar
 Description:
 Viewed:  11441 Time(s)

IMG_5492.JPG

IMG_5493.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  11418 Time(s)

IMG_5493.JPG

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 5
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

Jump to: