We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
22 May-23:56:12 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Roger Warin)
22 May-21:22:16 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
22 May-14:54:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
22 May-11:58:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Firmo Espinar)
22 May-10:21:09 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
22 May-09:33:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 May-07:59:45 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Morgan)
22 May-04:17:03 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (James Catmur)
22 May-02:23:18 The mizunaka collection - ludlamite (Am Mizunaka)
21 May-17:26:32 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Josele)
21 May-16:01:12 Provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
21 May-12:49:16 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
20 May-22:03:46 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
20 May-20:45:03 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
20 May-19:11:50 The mizunaka collection - stalactite (Am Mizunaka)
20 May-15:43:58 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:37:59 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:32:02 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:24:04 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
19 May-14:28:05 Re: european mineral and mining museums (Robert Seitz)
19 May-13:04:59 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 May-12:31:54 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
19 May-08:49:12 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
19 May-08:08:17 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
19 May-02:34:57 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 23, 2024 03:38

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Peter Megaw: Illustrated Introduction

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2009 12:39    Post subject: Peter Megaw: Illustrated Introduction  

Jordi and John have aked me to say a bit about myself and why I might have something to contribute as a moderator. I am an over-educated, recovering-academic geologist/mineralogist who spends most of my time explorating for silver-gold-lead-zinc-copper mines in Mexico. I fell in love with Mexico as a country in 1971, fell in love with her geology in 1976 and her minerals almost immediately thereafter. I quit working for Big Companies iin 1982 to get a PhD in Economic Geology (Mineralogy minor) at the University of Arizona and then consult. I was fortunate to get the entire Santa Eulalia District in Chihuahua for my PhD study area (read... playground) and from there worked outwards into her sister Carbonate Replacement Deposits worldwide (Naica, Ojuela, Lamentos, etc.). Being hooked on silver, I also ventured into epithermal vein deposits, which are plentiful in Mexico. The fates have been kind...my consulting team has made several major ore-deposit discoveries over the last 20 years, some of which have produced some nice specimens (Platosa, Durango for example) and others that will someday (Fresnillo West, Zacatecas). We have also acquired a number of specimen producing localities Batopilas, Flor de Pena, Minillas etc.) in the hopes that someday we will have time to collect them ourselves.

Ed Huskinson got me started collecting minerals seriously when we overlapped at the University of Texas, Austin in 1977 and he brought me to my first Tucson Show...introducing me both to Miguel Romero and the means to pay for a rapidly growing mineral habit. Ed encouraged me to focus on Santa Eulalia, which I did until branching out (while paring back from the ret of the world) to Mexico as a whole 6 years ago. (Wulfenite, sulfosalts and pseudomorphs remain foci as well). I moved to Tucson in 1979 and have gotten deeply involved in the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show, primarily working with exhibits, but also speaking and selling off the odd duplicates acquired on the road (and triplicates, quadruplicates etc.). Being of academic background, I tend to write a lot, give talks at shows whenever possible, and chime in on this website when it seems appropriate. I am also partially responsible for unleashing my daughter Lauren on the unsuspecting mineral collecting world, where she seems to be thriving.

One of the beauties of being focused on Mexico is that I can appreciate minerals from everywhere else...liberated of the need to possess them. (More baldly put, this lets me focus my coveteness on a narrow range so my acquisition efforts stay highly targeted). Regardless of where things come from, I like mineral collections that have a geologic context...either coming from the same locality or deposit type, or have a coherent mineralogic, crystallographic or morphologic context. I do NOT discriminate for or against on the basis of size (micros to museum size are fine) or who owns them...unless they are jerks. I love aesthetically "ikonic" pieces, but mostly when they are in one of the above contexts with other specimens. I am also nuts about mining and mineralogical history, especially old mines and early collectors.

All this has led me into many of the world's major mineral museums and into friendships with a broad spectrum of the world's mineralogists, curators and collectors....which is what makes it all worthwhile. I look forward to pitching in here, although I am not sure how moderate a moderator I will be...I enjoy stirring the pot and challenging conventional and unconventional "wisdom". I have the (mis)fortune of being the child of 2 English professors, so if you need help with a manuscript I'm happy to help.

If you want anymore...ask...meantime, let's skip to some specimens

nifty web.jpg
 Description:
One of the benefits of field work in Mexico...Nifontovite group, minature, 2008 find at Charcas...obtained in Mexico.
Photo: Jeff Scovil
 Viewed:  16235 Time(s)

nifty web.jpg

ojuela.jpg
 Description:
Famous Roebling Suspension bridge at Ojuela...1906 more or less. Bridge has been rehabilitated and is safely crossable. For the more adventurous, there is a zip-line next to it now
 Viewed:  16337 Time(s)

ojuela.jpg

minersuggto2web.jpg
 Description:
Miners working underground at Guanajuato...1906. Philadelphia Museum photo...you can find these on line occasionally
 Viewed:  16259 Time(s)

minersuggto2web.jpg

Laurennugget web.jpg
 Description:
4 year old shot of Lauren hefting a gold nugget at the British Museum. Unfortunately, the nugget is a replica
 Viewed:  16268 Time(s)

Laurennugget web.jpg

fluor on qtz web.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite coating quartz spray, minature, San Antonio Mine, Santa Eulalia
 Viewed:  16255 Time(s)

fluor on qtz web.jpg

GTO Ag 0 web.jpg
 Description:
Native silver from Guanajuato...8cm high. Ex Chris Tredwell collection
 Viewed:  16250 Time(s)

GTO Ag 0 web.jpg

GTO Poinsett Acanthite web.jpg
 Description:
Acanthite, probably Valenciana Mine, Guanajuato...this was obtained by Poinsett in 1825...in his journal he mentions that there were no decent minerals in Mexico City, so he had to go to the mines in Guanajuato to get some. He clearly succeeded. Poinsett later gave his entire collection to the American Philosophical Society which was rolled into the Phil. Acad Science...who sold most of their mineral collection 2 years ago amidst warranted furor. The majority of the APS collection now resides at the Smithsonian.
 Viewed:  16244 Time(s)

GTO Poinsett Acanthite web.jpg

bato silver 1826.jpg
 Description:
Native Silver, Batopilas, Chihuahua, Mexico 10 cm. Probably obtained in 1826 by Joel R. Poinsett whilst American envoy to Mexico. (ex-Philadelphia Academy of Sciences...probably ex American Philosophical Society) Jeff Scovil image
 Viewed:  16404 Time(s)

bato silver 1826.jpg

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2009 12:39    Post subject: Re: Peter Megaw: Illustrated Introduction  

Nice minerals Pete! For some reason, Jeff's photographs look so much better than my blurry snapshots. Go figure.

Thank you for your kind words vis-a-vis UT. It's good to think back to the times when we had no money, but the enthusiasm sure made up for it. Miserite indeed.

Merry Christmas to you, Allison, Lauren, and to everyone on FMF.

Ed in Kingman

Here's a fantasy photo to befit the season....

Beryl on Dioptase 1.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  16228 Time(s)

Beryl on Dioptase 1.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2009 13:08    Post subject: Re: Peter Megaw: Illustrated Introduction  

Ed...I'll see your miserite and raise you a manganobabingtonite!

Merry Christmas to all...again!

KDF-TX

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2009 13:44    Post subject: Re: Peter Megaw: Illustrated Introduction  

Hi Peter, I have an "Ex Peter Megaw" labeled specimen in my collection (I hope; I trust the seller...).
Apatite from Cerro de Mercado, Durango, Durango, Mexico.
It would probably be better trimmed to make a couple nice minatures, but I'd hate to ruin it.
I need to take better pics too (Ebay photo).
I really enjoyed the Pala DVD with Lauren and the other kids. It seems she's already a prominant collector and role model for the new generation.
Appreciate you,
Kevin

Apatite-0126.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  16209 Time(s)

Apatite-0126.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2009 14:18    Post subject: Re: Peter Megaw: Illustrated Introduction  

Kevin, that looks like something that might have passed through my hands... However, it was never in my collection...I do know of a couple of dealers who put "from the collection of" a collector even when it was never more than sale stock.

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: