We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
23 May-08:00:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 May-23:56:12 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Roger Warin)
22 May-21:22:16 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
22 May-14:54:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
22 May-11:58:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Firmo Espinar)
22 May-10:21:09 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
22 May-09:33:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 May-07:59:45 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Morgan)
22 May-04:17:03 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (James Catmur)
22 May-02:23:18 The mizunaka collection - ludlamite (Am Mizunaka)
21 May-17:26:32 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Josele)
21 May-16:01:12 Provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
21 May-12:49:16 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
20 May-22:03:46 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
20 May-20:45:03 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
20 May-19:11:50 The mizunaka collection - stalactite (Am Mizunaka)
20 May-15:43:58 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:37:59 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:32:02 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:24:04 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
19 May-14:28:05 Re: european mineral and mining museums (Robert Seitz)
19 May-13:04:59 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 May-12:31:54 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
19 May-08:49:12 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
19 May-08:08:17 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 23, 2024 11:40

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Microscopes for micromounts

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2016 14:39    Post subject: Microscopes for micromounts  

I tried looking up "microscope" in the search field but just got some images.
Is a special type of microscope necessary for viewing micromounts? As I recall microscopes from school, there is a flat platform for a slide, but I read micromounts are in a cubic inch box, which would not fit, I expect. If so, where can such microscopes be obtained?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2016 15:11    Post subject: Re: Microscopes for micromounts  

Hi Tom,

For viewing micromounts you will need a stereomicroscope, preferably with a zoom which will allow you to magnify the specimen anywhere from 10X to 40X. Actually you will rarely use more than 20x magnification for most things.

As far as brands, there are many on the market. If budget allows, do not skimp with a cheap Chinese scope. Many have inferior optics and you will be quickly frustrated. You would be better off buying a good Bausch & Lomb or American Optical reconditioned used scope. Meiji is also a good brand, and you may be able to find a good used one.

If you plan on taking photos, be sure to get one that has a 3rd tube to attach your camera.

Michael

Tom Tucker

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2016 16:02    Post subject: Re: Microscopes for micromounts  

Tom, search for Absolute Clarity and Calibration website - a former micro mounter. There are a couple of tabs for pages on "microscope dos and don'ts", and "microscopes to choose and avoid" - they contain good discussions of what you need to know. Tom

Robert Rothenberg

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2016 16:26    Post subject: Re: Microscopes for micromounts  

Hi Tom,

The scopes you described are transmitted light scopes, meaning the light shines through the subject. Micromounts are usually viewed with a reflected light scope, meaning that the light bounces off the specimen.

While many specimens are viewable at 20x, many are also better viewable under higher magnifications. I regularly use 100x as most of the things I currently collect are extremely tiny.

I also recommend Absolute Clarity having bought two scopes from the over the years.

If you are interested in making micro mounts, you should also check out the pamphlet by Milton Speckles, and the book by Quinton Wight.

Bob

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2016 09:17    Post subject: Re: Microscopes for micromounts  

Robert Rothenberg wrote:
Hi Tom,

The scopes you described are transmitted light scopes, meaning the light shines through the subject. Micromounts are usually viewed with a reflected light scope, meaning that the light bounces off the specimen.

While many specimens are viewable at 20x, many are also better viewable under higher magnifications. I regularly use 100x as most of the things I currently collect are extremely tiny.

I also recommend Absolute Clarity having bought two scopes from the over the years.

If you are interested in making micro mounts, you should also check out the pamphlet by Milton Speckles, and the book by Quinton Wight.

Bob

Do I need special illumination?

Robert Rothenberg

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2016 09:53    Post subject: Re: Microscopes for micromounts  

Hi Tom,

Many micro enthusiasts use fiber optic lights with one or more "light pipes." When I attend micro symposia, I still see a number of older high intensity incandescent lamps. Recently, I have seen a number of LED lights which are very cheap to purchase and seem to last a long time.

It might be useful for you to visit a micro symposium to see what people are using, and to speak to them to get ideas of what might work for you. There are two symposia in the Baltimore/Virginia area, one in the Spring and one in the Fall. There is one in Canada, just across from Niagara Falls in May. There is one in Florida this month. There is a small one in Rochester in April, and also one at Tucson (which just ended). I cannot think of others right now, although I am sure there are several on the West Coast.

I would also suggest looking for a local mineral club to see whether there are any micro enthusiasts there who can help you get started.

Bob

Robert Rothenberg

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2016 10:04    Post subject: Re: Microscopes for micromounts  

Hi Tom,

I just noticed where you live. There is a mineral show at Soccer Sportsplex, 31515 Lorain Rd., North Olmsted, Ohio on May 14-15 this year. Might be worth going to see whether there are any micro dealers there. I also believe there is a micro symposium in Cleveland, but haven't more details.

Bob

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2016 10:09    Post subject: Re: Microscopes for micromounts  

Thanks, Robert.
My cousin Jim would have to take me there, but I plan to visit my cousin Sharon in South Carolina around then. I'll see if I can make it.

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: