We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
15 Jun-14:31:54 Re: the mizunaka collection - scepter quartz (Am Mizunaka)
15 Jun-01:16:27 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Jun-01:11:55 Re: the mizunaka collection (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Jun-22:27:30 The mizunaka collection - quartz scepter (Am Mizunaka)
14 Jun-21:37:14 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
13 Jun-17:23:43 Cimge nanjing - some reflections on this show: (Jordi Fabre)
13 Jun-10:21:15 Re: contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
13 Jun-10:20:35 Re: contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
13 Jun-10:18:48 Contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
12 Jun-09:50:48 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
11 Jun-19:14:54 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
11 Jun-13:17:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
10 Jun-02:26:56 Re: the mizunaka collection (Am Mizunaka)
09 Jun-14:17:09 Re: the mizunaka collection (Philippe Durand)
09 Jun-10:54:06 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
09 Jun-08:26:55 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
09 Jun-07:47:35 Inclusion of pezzotaite in quartz (Roger Warin)
07 Jun-23:58:23 Re: cimge nanjing (Greg Lilly)
07 Jun-23:47:05 Cimge nanjing (Greg Lilly)
07 Jun-16:01:20 Re: the mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
07 Jun-09:00:55 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
07 Jun-08:52:17 Re: the mizunaka collection (Michael Shaw)
07 Jun-03:44:17 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
05 Jun-22:25:48 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
05 Jun-08:45:41 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 16, 2024 07:51

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Some offbeat reasons to buy minerals...

Index -> Mineral Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Gail

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2009 21:31    Post subject: Some offbeat reasons to buy minerals...  

Just kicking something around in my head earlier today, while driving around town.
I was thinking of the many minerals we have purchased, and some of the reasons for doing so. Number one, we wanted those minerals....that is first and foremost, but there is another reason I can think of why we bought different minerals, sympathy.
I have found myself buying minerals because I wanted to help someone out financially.
The minerals were worth it, they were welcome into our collection, but I might not have been drawn to see them if I didn't feel the need to help someone, I care about and like, out.
Another time I was told of a collector who had health issues, this also prompted me to purchase some minerals that I really love, but might not have taken the time to see if not for hearing the news.
Yet another story was of a woman friend who was trying to sell minerals from her collection to pay for her honeymoon.
One young fellow needed money to help pay for his tuition and he had a killer thumbnail I gladly added to the collection, I might have debated the price a bit...but not in this case...I paid him what he was asking.
I feel good about all of those transactions. I am sure some people might prey on others with stories that are untrue, but in all the cases I have mentioned...they have proven to be true.
And this past year I had the pleasure of buying a nice piece from a gentleman who is elderly, out of work and a delight to know. When I see the mineral, I smile....we both got something good out of the deal.
In praise of my fellow man....
Cheers.

Debbie Woolf

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 06:36    Post subject: Re: Some offbeat reasons to buy minerals...  

That's very commendable of you Gail.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Linda Smith

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 15:01    Post subject: Re: Some offbeat reasons to buy minerals...  

Gail,
I am like you, sometimes i am drawn to make a purchase based on circumstances. I had the pleasure of buying a very small collection from a young man who wanted to go to Tucson and was selling some of his collection in order to buy "better" specimens. I bought the 11 specimens and figure I can add them to my grandchildren's collection.

It isn't always about us, is it? That's what I like about you.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 15:16    Post subject: Re: Some offbeat reasons to buy minerals...  

Seems a bit odd to consider "doing good" whilst buying minerals is "off-beat"...to mix metaphors I'd characterize it more like casting bread upon kharmic waters...good on ya!

Peter

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2009 13:09    Post subject: Re: Some offbeat reasons to buy minerals...  

I have done the same many times. Last week I bought one lovely specimen.... I changed my travelling by 2 days to see and help out a friend in bad times. I was happy to buy the specimen, but I never before bought high end non crystalline minerals!
The same goes when I decide to deaccess specimens from my collection.
I prefer to sell to someone who loves a specimen, not just to anyone. If the person do not understand the quality or special charachetristics of the piece of course aftre some information, it is simply not the person who deserves it.
I prefer someone who I know will appreciate and love the piece, its history and who will take care of it.

At times I certainly prefer to give a specimen to someone, rather than selling it.

Just this weekend I had a collector I did not see for 15 years contacting me.
He got some of my fun specimens more than 20 years ago.....

Gail

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2009 07:12    Post subject: Re: Some offbeat reasons to buy minerals...  

Hi Peter and all.
Nice to hear we all seem to have a nature that helps our fellow man, while still getting something nice in return....both a mineral AND the chance to feel good too.

I am in Rochester, N.Y. at the symposium. What fun, very different from what we have experienced before. Jim is also with me, he is really enjoying himself. I am speaking tomorrow, so am busy getting the last of the power point done today.
Cheers!!!

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2009 08:56    Post subject: Re: Some offbeat reasons to buy minerals...  

Hi Gail. Hope the talk goes / went well. I'm sure you will carry it off with your usual aplonb. I'm thinking the weather has to be a bit different from Texas, eh?

Have fun up there, and bring back lots of photos to share with those of us who are attending the symposium vicariously through your posting.

Ed

Peter

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2009 11:35    Post subject: Re: Some offbeat reasons to buy minerals...  

Hi Gail
I know you will have a great time in Rochester. So many times I wanted to go but every year some other activities are overlapping.
Have to work Sunday! otherwise I could have come : (
Next year if I get a real good reason to go!
Hi to everyone there.
I know there are so many serious collectors and scientists gathering there, so in fact I SHOULD GO! All the best to you booth and all from booth of us! Nadia sends her kisses to!

Index -> Mineral Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: