We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
04 Jun-08:39:41 Re: collection of michael shaw - malachite (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-01:49:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Jordi Fabre)
03 Jun-21:44:21 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)
01 Jun-20:02:10 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
01 Jun-10:24:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-10:21:30 Is malachite rare? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:51:59 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:21:32 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-07:40:50 Re: mineral identification tips (Cascaillou)
31 May-16:04:59 Is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Gk68)
31 May-15:40:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
31 May-15:40:12 Re: is this dolomite-pyrite-siderite? (Gk68)
31 May-09:28:53 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-08:49:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
31 May-07:33:18 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-07:26:07 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (James Catmur)
31 May-06:33:57 Is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
30 May-22:57:14 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 04, 2024 10:17

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Mounting

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Turbo

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2009 11:36    Post subject: Mounting  

I have some white 3M removable adhesive putty that's often used for hanging posters on walls. Is this the same as products like "Mineral Tack"? Has anyone used this in mounting?

Also, do most of you guys and gals keep minerals on their mounts permanently or only when they are up for display?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2009 12:34    Post subject: Re: Mounting  

Some side infos here -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=719

Jordi

Screenname

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2010 20:17    Post subject: Re: Mounting  

I keep mine in a wall hanging display with a glass sliding front on it, nothing in it is permanently in there and right now it's in storage I have no wall space in my new place I used sticky dots used in scrapbooking to hold them in place and they are removable, double stick tape, mounting squares and similar products hold great and are removable as for the tacky stuff I wouldn't do that since it would be hard to clean off when you want to move the stone.

Turbo

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2010 23:18    Post subject: Re: Mounting  

I decided to try the 3M product and it's easy to remove and doesn't leave anything behind. It sticks them right to the polyester mounts I made. I never handled tack products marketed specifically for mineral mounting, but I suspect 3M is the same, perhaps less messy judging from photos of mounted specimens online.

keith

PostPosted: May 23, 2010 07:47    Post subject: Re: Mounting  

The 3M tac sometimes goes hard when very cold and can then be a bit difficult to remove safely - but generally will give a similar result to Mineral tac. I use it - not so much to support a specimen but to assist in steadying a specimen on acrylic bases when displayed on glass. shelves.

I have sometimes encounted mild staining with the 3 M tac but this generally comes off when the specimen is cleaned - soapy water or similar or other cleaning alchohol type agent for water soluble minerals.

Cheers

kywawa

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2010 03:51    Post subject: Re: Mounting  

Nice..good thread..thanks for your post.

Elise

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2010 14:49    Post subject: Re: Mounting  

str4hler wrote:
We had a longer discussion and some testing on that before at our Strahlen site

This is more of a display related inquiry, but the mounting information posted above is perhaps relevant to it. I didn't know whether to try to continue the discussion on the Strahlen site or to post an inquiry via SMMP, but then considered that we have such an international mix of mineral collectors on FMF, which includes curators as well as long time collectors, and that the former two venues might not access such a wide knowledge base as we have here - maybe some more ideas will shake loose to the benefit of all. Because of building vibration, over time unmounted mineral specimens dance around on glass shelves until in many instances their less favorable sides are facing the audience and their prime sides are to the wall (not to mention labels walking over to visit neighbors). Are there any unobtrusive (hopefully transparent colorless) products that can be suggested which are non-reactive/destructive but which still have a long lifespan if curation is sporadic...maybe terminal?

Best wishes, Elise

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: