We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
15 Jun-14:31:54 Re: the mizunaka collection - scepter quartz (Am Mizunaka)
15 Jun-01:16:27 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Jun-01:11:55 Re: the mizunaka collection (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Jun-22:27:30 The mizunaka collection - quartz scepter (Am Mizunaka)
14 Jun-21:37:14 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
13 Jun-17:23:43 Cimge nanjing - some reflections on this show: (Jordi Fabre)
13 Jun-10:21:15 Re: contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
13 Jun-10:20:35 Re: contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
13 Jun-10:18:48 Contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
12 Jun-09:50:48 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
11 Jun-19:14:54 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
11 Jun-13:17:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
10 Jun-02:26:56 Re: the mizunaka collection (Am Mizunaka)
09 Jun-14:17:09 Re: the mizunaka collection (Philippe Durand)
09 Jun-10:54:06 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
09 Jun-08:26:55 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
09 Jun-07:47:35 Inclusion of pezzotaite in quartz (Roger Warin)
07 Jun-23:58:23 Re: cimge nanjing (Greg Lilly)
07 Jun-23:47:05 Cimge nanjing (Greg Lilly)
07 Jun-16:01:20 Re: the mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
07 Jun-09:00:55 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
07 Jun-08:52:17 Re: the mizunaka collection (Michael Shaw)
07 Jun-03:44:17 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
05 Jun-22:25:48 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
05 Jun-08:45:41 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 16, 2024 00:13

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Repairing mineral specimens
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pierre Joubert

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 05:23    Post subject: Repairing mineral specimens  

Repairing mineral specimens has always been a difficult topic to me. I understand that some of the most famous specimens have been repaired, to put it in more simple terms, 'glued'. Some time ago, a dealer gave me a handful of nice crystals with a few flaws. He said with disgust that they were glued! I studied them and after some acid tests, found that he was wrong and that they were not glued. His reaction to what he thought were repaired specimens is the point.

If a specimen is repaired then I would expect the seller of such a specimen to reveal that fact to the buyer, but the problem comes when it is sold again and the next seller conveniently chooses to not reveal this fact to the next buyer.

While on this topic, I have attached some photos of a Quartz specimen that my wife found in our nearby mountains. You will note that the matrix is sandstone and that the crystals sit on a cracked and unstable matrix. What 'glue' can be used to stabilize the fragile matrix. I would welcome some thoughts on this topic.

100_8999.JPG
 Description:
Quartz crystals on Sandstone
Western Cape Mountains
150 x 85 mm
 Viewed:  36766 Time(s)

100_8999.JPG

100_9013.JPG
 Description:
Quartz crystals on Sandstone
Western Cape mountains
150 x 85 mm
 Viewed:  36825 Time(s)

100_9013.JPG

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '
Reply to topic Reply with quote

lluis

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 08:21    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

Goiemor, Pierre

Well, for one side, acid test have nothing to do with glued or not. Glues in general are acid resistants. Some are not water resistants, and others are non resistant to some specific solvents. Or specific solvents at a temperature.

For the specimen, I see it as stable and I could not see the sandstone matrix.
But if you wish to stibilize it more, I would use a glue sensible to UV, place in the weaker points in a twilight ilumination (or in a room with only incandescent light; no fluorecents!) the glue, wipp off what is undesired, and then let it in sunglight.

That would be stabilized, and if I do not remember bad, could be undone placing the piece in perchloroethylene in a sealed jar for some time (some days; or weeks...). Always if you use a cyanacrylate. If a polyester, well, just caustic soda and crossing fingers....And then not even sure....
(those glues are not acidic sensitive, as an example)

With best wishes (my afrikaans goes not too far from the good morning... :-( )

Lluís

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 08:40    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

In my opinion a large segment of our mineral collecting fraternity makes too great an issue about repairs. In many collecting fields (fossils, antiquities,...) repairs are expected and only a minority of specimens are not repaired.

Micromounters don't have to worry much about repairs, but the bigger the size of specimen, the less likely it is to come out of the ground undamaged. If one absolutely insists on no damage and no repairs on cabinet-size specimens, I say don't complain about the extra zero (or two) on the price!

I have only two absolute requirements about repairs: 1) they should be expertly done so as not to be glaringly obvious; and 2) they must be revealed to the customer.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 09:00    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

I would quibble with Alfredo over the comment that a majority of specimens are repaired. I would say that a very small minority of specimens have been reapaired.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 09:01    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

alfredo wrote:
I have only two absolute requirements about repairs: 1) they should be expertly done so as not to be glaringly obvious; and 2) they must be revealed to the customer.

I agree, Alfredo mentioned the two most important and essential conditions concerning repairs.

Joseph DOliveira

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 09:19    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

While I don't agree with the statement "the majority of specimens are repaired", there are some specimens where the majority from a particular occurrence are repaired. A good example of these are the pyrite cubes from Spain, and the larger tourmaline specimens from Pala, many of which are repaired but still carry good value. From a dealers perspective, disclosure of repair is essential and for the most part is accepted by collectors as the specimens generally carry a discounted value.

lluis

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 09:25    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

Good afternoon

Well, I beg to difer with Alfredo in antiquities.
Not many are repaired (well, if you discount the composites mainly in chinese old pieces, as far as I know), many are damaged and a few are intact.
And well, I for one, I prefer an undamaged one, or, if I should choose, a damaged one *unrepaired*
For minerals, well, I collect in the small size, miniature to TN, mainly....
Then, I am out of the museum size league and away from reparations as well.

I agree with Alfredo that repairs should be expertly done and disclosed to buyers.

But I dislike repairs....Say me odd

With best wishes

Lluís

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 11:21    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

lluis wrote:
Goiemor, Pierre

Well, for one side, acid test have nothing to do with glued or not. Glues in general are acid resistants. Some are not water resistants, and others are non resistant to some specific solvents. Or specific solvents at a temperature.

For the specimen, I see it as stable and I could not see the sandstone matrix.
But if you wish to stibilize it more, I would use a glue sensible to UV, place in the weaker points in a twilight ilumination (or in a room with only incandescent light; no fluorecents!) the glue, wipp off what is undesired, and then let it in sunglight.

That would be stabilized, and if I do not remember bad, could be undone placing the piece in perchloroethylene in a sealed jar for some time (some days; or weeks...). Always if you use a cyanacrylate. If a polyester, well, just caustic soda and crossing fingers....And then not even sure....
(those glues are not acidic sensitive, as an example)

With best wishes (my afrikaans goes not too far from the good morning... :-( )

Lluís

Lluis, thanks for the bit of Afrikaans and advice. I am sorry, the sandstone is not very visible; but the cracks are. I know acetone dissolve some glues, eg. clear epoxy. The best would be a type of thin/transparent glue that can 'lock' the very fragile/unstable sandstone. What about 'superglue'?

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 11:59    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

"Super Glue" is a trade name for cyanoactrylate. It generally works quite well for stabilizing porous and crumbly matrices on specimens as it is fairly thin and will penetrate quite well. Make sure the specimen is completely dry as it does not work well in the presence of water. Also, avoid any glues that are labeled "gel" as these have been thickened and will not penetrate as well.

lluis

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 12:47    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

Hi, Pierre

Agreed with Jesse.
Cyanacrylate is the chemical name for superglue (or crazy glue... :-) ); just that some only cure under UV, so, they let you more time to work, and uses to be less stressing.... :-)
Also, done that uses to be used to repair glass, RI uses to be closer to it and generally less visible.
But that is just manias of an old chemist... :-)

With best wishes

Lluís

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 13:01    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

Also, done that uses to be used to repair glass, RI uses to be closer to it and generally less visible.

Thanks Lluis. What do you mean by RI? Is it a type of superglue? Groete

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 14:35    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

"RI" means "refractive index," which is the degree that a transparent substance will bend (refract) light compared to air. If two transparent substances have a large difference between their refractive indices the boundary between them will be more visible than if the refractive indices are close to one another. When gluing a transparent mineral, or filling fractures with glue or resin, it is always best to use something with an RI close to the mineral so that it will be less noticeable. Opticon is a commercial resin that has an RI very close to quartz and has been used for repairs and fracture filling on many mineral specimens. The one draw-back to Opticon is that it will turn yellow with age and is quite difficult to remove once it is hardened.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 15:35    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

alfredo wrote:
In my opinion a large segment of our mineral collecting fraternity makes too great an issue about repairs...

What Alfredo say it could be true but we should live with the fact that while in USA the repaired specimens are more or less accepted, for some reason the vast majority of the regular collectors in Europe don´t accept repaired specimens. This inevitable fact generate in my oppinion a lot of paradoxes like for example: what about a specimen offered by a reliable and serious US dealer but that he acquired to someone, and as that dealer don't take a really strong care about the repaired specimens he don't check it with acetone (for example) and he offer to an European customer who don't really accept repaired specimens but unluckily this particular specimen was repaired and (without bad behaviour from the dealer) is not labeled as "repaired"?

And how about a lot of fresh specimens just arrived from a mining area, all of them looking "natural" but as we never know, and just on case, we submerged them in acetone and time to time (or frequently, if from some particular places ;-) we discover some fascinating "surprises"? ;-)

So if the door for repaired specimens remain a little bit open because we don't should "makes too great an issue about repairs", we haven't the risk to facilitate in some way dishonest "crafts" from the primary sources or some private sellers?

lluis

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 15:53    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

Goeienag, Pierre

As Jesse says, RI is refractive index.
I thought that Opticon is for emeralds, though...
Anyway, superglue, as far as I know does not turns yellow (even less the one used for crystal repair), and is removable (with time) with chlorinated solvents.

Groete

Lluís

lluis

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 16:01    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

Completely agreed with Jordi

Some specimens that have beeng air eroded, consolidated, dyed, and so, well, for me are just, maybe, a work of art. But not a mineral specimen.
I know that Alma King have been glued (or so I have been said), and it took a lot of time (a year?) to repair it. Nice. Even interesting. But *repaired*.

Maybe too european in the Jordi sense, but I could not close eyes in front of it.
The rest is to open the field to man-made paragenesis.

Is like the rocketing in acceptance of tooled ancient coins.
Well, hobbo nickels sometimes are more artistic.
Needless to say that a tooled ancient coin, apart to be impossible to authenticate, is for me just a modern anything (place the word you beleive I am thinking in....)

With best wishes

Lluís

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 17:23    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

Luis,
Beryl and quartz have very similar RI. Opticon is used on both.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 17:37    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

Just a few comments...

Opticon is bad as it will yellow with age. Most people are using Epoxy 330 which will not yellow.

As to Europeans not accepting repaired specimens--this means Europeans will not buy Pederneira tourmalines or any other tourmaline for that matter, as very few are intact due to tectonic stresses? This is true of many localities. I suspect that just like here in the USA, buyers want to know if repairs have been made.

An issue that hasn't really been raised is restoration of mineral specimens. As an example, the Alma King, if I remember correctly has a small corner restored on the 15 cm crystal. This was done using tinted epoxy that matches the RI of the rhodochrosite. Is this an acceptable practice? I believe it is as it allows small imperfections to become unobtrusive--but it needs to be clearly labeled. Even the wild groups of Pederneira tourmaline had small portions restored as the crystals chipped upon breaking in the pocket. At the time, the dealer's labels clearly marked repair x 2, restore x 4, etc.

And, as to the comments on antiques...they almost always have some degree of being restored, fixed, refinished, or modified, etc. I worked with a conservator from the Getty Museum, and everything that came in had some work done on it. Its hard to be around for several hundred years without some wear and tear. Heck, I have only been around 50+ years and I am showing wear and tear....I need a repair and restoration ;=))

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 17:53    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

GneissWare wrote:
As to Europeans not accepting repaired specimens--this means Europeans will not buy Pederneira tourmalines or any other tourmaline for that matter, as very few are intact due to tectonic stresses?

Correct.

But I don't said "all" the European collectors, I wrote:
Jordi Fabre wrote:
...the vast majority of the (European) regular collectors..

so it means that some Europeans accept repaired specimens, but by my knowledge many European collectors, specially the non high end collectors, they don't accept it. A prove of it could be that in the European Shows is very uncommon to see some specimen labeled as "repaired" and very few US dealers expose in the European Shows.

Different worlds, different tastes, different views.. ;-)

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 17:53    Post subject: Re: Repairing mineral specimens  

My first post was mis-read - Please read it again; it does not say the majority of MINERAL specimens have been repaired, only that repairs are increasingly likely the larger the size of specimen one collects.

I'd also disagree with Jordi that repairs are more common in America than Europe; my observations have been the opposite! Perhaps my statistical sample size is not big enough to draw a valid conclusion.

But, as others have pointed out, disclosure is the essential element - then each customer can decide for themselves whether they want it or not.

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 19:14    Post subject: Procedures for Repairing mineral specimens  

There are many procedures for the repair, preparation and display of minerals. Many of these techniques require the use of chemicals and chemical procedures that can be a hazard to the collector. The help people require is real and goes way beyond the mere suggestion of use this glue or that glue. What the collector seeks is real guidance and direction, not mere suggestion! And the only way this can be done is by example. I plan to include a section on FMF that details the procedures, chemicals and tools needed to repair a specimen. Like my acrylic stands section it will be highly detailed and will use one of my pieces as the example. However there is a catch! I must first explore the liability issues before posting it, as I will be using chemicals that the average person rarely encounters during the course of their daily activities. Please be patient!

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: