We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
29 Apr-09:54:39 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
28 Apr-15:20:53 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Dany Mabillard)
28 Apr-03:14:45 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
27 Apr-20:28:29 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 29, 2024 10:15

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors

Index -> Mineralogical Literature

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tracy

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 20:20    Post subject: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

Alice's blossoming interest in minerals, which we have been following on some separate threads, got me wondering what type of references would be most useful to me if I were a beginner collector (arguably I still am in some respects). So I thought I'd put the question to FMF readers: if you were asked to create the "ultimate" library for the beginner or the beginner-intermediate collector, which books would you put in it (and for what aspect and why)? Recognizing that people come to this hobby with a wide variety of specialties and interests (and from many different countries), all recommendations would be interesting and valuable - e.g., great beginner books on mineralogy, crystallography, geology, field collecting,...Age is an important consideration here, because not everybody discovers minerals at the same age and some reference textbooks might not be suitable for younger enthusiasts. So perhaps the question is better phrased as "which books helped you out the most when you were getting more deeply involved in minerals, and why?"

I've been far too busy to post much of late but following the threads of others got me thinking about this. My own library is very modest and my interest in minerals kicked into high gear only recently, so I'll start off by suggesting "Mineralogy" by John Sinkakas, which was helpful to me in learning about crystals though isn't necessarily kid-friendly. Many years prior to that I worked with an assortment of field guides so that I could identify the minerals I got hold of (like Alice, I started out with tumbled rocks and still have my pieces in a glass bowl). I didn't have one particular field guide which was more helpful to me than others, but some readers might provide titles (a few are mentioned in one of Alice's threads).

Other contributions?

- Tracy

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 21:12    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

Suspect a lot of folks will wade in on this, so I'll get my licks in early before JSW does. ..he's probably reviewed every Field Guide ever written and undoubtedly has some strong opinions on which is/are best for folks at what level.

I came at mineral collecting though academic mineralogy...both as student and teacher... and found Dana's Handbook of Mineralogy (Hurlbut, Klein and Hurlbut, must be in 47th edition by now) an excellent text with not only good explanations of crystallography, but a workable approach to determinintive mineralogy. The first edition Encyclopedia of Minerals is a great reference with good pictures to compare to what's in your hand. Second edition not nearly so useful. The latest edition of Fleischer's Glossary of Minerals is an invaluable basic checklist of existing species and provides the basics in one simple place. I still resort to Ford's version of Textbook of Mineralogy regularly too.

Good idea to add some topographic mineralogy books...like the Mineralogy of whatever state/country you live in and one or more of the great localities just to have a gut feel for what a serious specimen locality looks like and can produce

Also, subscribe to one of more mineralogical magazines. Mineralogical Record, Rocks and Minerals, Lapis, etc. the topical papers lead to solid appreciation for localities and great specimens....things to strive for...and you get new stuff to think about every 1-2 months!

cookie-cutter-rockstar

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 21:13    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

Hi

I'm so happy that you have started this thread.

The best book i own at the moment that helps with identifying my collection is A concise guide to rocks and minerals by James Lagomarsino. It is very kid friendly and has simple explanations. For a beginner like me I would definitely recommend this book.

Another book I found very useful is a visual fact finder book about rocks and fossils i find it useful because it tells you how different rocks, minerals and gemstones are formed and gives you information on where they are found it's aimed at children and teens so it's very kid friendly. I bought another book recently that I find interesting reading is The Essential Crystal Handbook by Simon and Sue Lilly it's about health, healing and happiness this one is not very kid friendly but does give you information on healing properties of the minerals. It gives you a brief but informative description of the geology of rocks, gemstones and minerals.

I find all of these books useful when trying to identify my collection. Although some seem to be missing when i look in my books such as Howlite or Serpentinite hence the postings on FMF.

-Alice

"Love looks through a telescope, envy through a microscope"
Reply to topic Reply with quote

TheBrickPrinter

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 00:10    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

This topic made me get up and go to my bookshelf just to see what was there and found four old friends that have kept since my youth.

Frederick Pough's book was of course there and was one of my bibles. Also Dana's Minerals and How to Study Them -third edition revised by Hurlburt in 1949. I always thoght blowpipes were very kewl. I guess that dates me a bit--but rescanning it, cannot believe how useful that book was/and still is to a youngster and oldster.

Berry and Mason's Mineralogy-Concepts, Descriptionss, Determinations was my college mineralogy textbook-dry stuff but good textbook on the chemistry, physics, and genesis of minerals --dry stuff for most, though. But I think perhaps the one book all amateurs should have a copy of is Mineralogy for Amateurs by Sinkankas. His writing style is very approachable.

Science Olympiad for middle schoolers used to have Rocks and Minerals as one of their sections and I taught the team for a couple of years while my daughter was participating. They used the Audubon Guide and I must say I did find it pretty useful. Was able to get three girls who had very little interest in rocks to the State finals so the book must have been somewhat useful.

As far as a fascinating look at the history of the uses of minerals, how they are formed, and how they are extracted-- a really good read is C.S. Hurlbut, Jr. Minerals and Man.

The search is what anyone would undertake if he were not sunk in the everydayness of his own life. To be aware of the possibility of the search is to be onto something. Not to be onto something is to be in despair.
Walker Percy

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 05:05    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

Very briefly (cannot let Peter's challenge go unanswered), I believe that the vast majority of collectors in the U.S. would agree that their first book was Pough's "A Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals." It was mine as well. My college text was "Dana's Handbook of Mineralogy" by Hurlbut (this was the dark ages) and its newer editions remain perntinent and extremely well-written. HOWEVER, the website mindat.org probably provides far more information than all of these early references and many of the new ones combined, often along with dozens or hundreds of photos. Curiously the book I turn to most often for specific details (mostly historic) is "Dana's Textbook of Mineralogy" by W. E. Ford.

There are a large number of handbooks and guides available today, some are quite good for the true beginner(the "Cambridge Guide to MInerals Rocks and Fossils" by Bishop, Woolley and Hamilton is one) and some are awful.

Tracy

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 08:51    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

To Peter's mention of topographic geology books - after I posted the topic I remembered how much I enjoyed reading Road Side Geology of New York (where I was living at the time). I believe that the Roadside Geology series has books for all the other states. It was great fun learning what to look for in road cuts and overall terrain, along with other bits of helpful info. I still smile when I drive past Mile 128 (do I remember the marker number right? I'm at work so can't check) of I-87 crossing over the snake-like chute for loading crushed rock originating from a limestone quarry to the west.

Any comments from non-English-speaking collectors? Which books did you most greatly benefit from?

- Tracy

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 10:04    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

Thanks John for rising to the bait ...I mean challenge. It might be a real public service for you to point out a few of the awfulest books for folks to avoid...or at least direct us to specific reviews in Rocks and Minerals and the like where we can get your full treatment on the good, bad and ugly.

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 11:41    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

Hi Tracy,

When I was younger I never used a book, but was following the advices of a cousin of mine who was (and still is) mineral "literate". So I didn't need one.

When I went back to mineral collecting a few years ago, I bought a couple of systematic books. But I don't think they are available in the US. And anyway they are quite academic and not really suitable for beginners. Otherwise the last book written in English I bought is "American Treasures". Great book but quite expensive for a beginner.

An idea might be to have a look at the public library to see if you there are mineral books, then show them to Alice. By her reaction, you'll probably know which way to go.

Christophe

mraffordable

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 12:54    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

The Forum spam filter is sure sensitive! I'll try and leave enough spaces before the word "it" this time.
The first book that I picked up after buying my metaphysical gift shop was The Book of Stones by Robert Simmons and Naishia Ahsian, published by Heaven and Earth publishing. I can hear the grumbles and see the rolling eyes from many of you because of the metaphysical slant to this book but it is a good one for a beginner because it has a good picture of each specimen, a description of it , including chemical make-up and stucture and where each one can be found. This is followed by the metaphysical properties and its care and usage which I believe every beginner should at least be aware of.
The next book I purchased was the National Audubon Society Field Guide of North American Rocks andMinerals by Charles W. Chesterman, published by Chanticleer Press. No metaphysics here, just pure science. This book is sized to easily fit in a pocket when in the field collecting and has a wnderful color section to find the rock that is in your hand by its color. The alphabetical listing has all the scientific information as well as where to look for each specimen.
These books have helped me a lot in my business and I use them almost daily.

BlueCapProductions

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 13:43    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

This is a bit self-serving HOWEVER Bancroft's Gem & Crystal Treasures was responsible for motivating a LOT of people to get involved in mineral collecting. The thing about this book that makes it different is that all the chapters focus on the people stories surrounding the famous minerals from famous localities. It's basically a mineral storybook that makes for fun and easy reading that really gets the readers engaged. It's great for getting new collectors into the hobby. I've watched people who have no interest or even awareness of the mineral collecting world pick up this book and immediately get drawn into the stories.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 21:13    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

I thought we were trying to suggest books that a beginning collector might acquire in order to learn the fundamentals of mineralogy. If ths is the case, then books like "American Mineral Treasures" and Bancroft's book "Gem and Mineral Treasures" are hardly appropriate acquisitions because all they do is glorify specimens that most of us will never be able to possess. I think we need to try to stay with good books for beginners, books that feature specimens one can reasonably hope to acquire, or see in a local museum.

BlueCapProductions

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 23:18    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

Sorry John. I thought Tracy was asking for any mineral-related book that would be good for new collectors - not just books on mineralogy.

There are sections in American Mineral Treasures that I think are just fun things for new collectors to know. For example, what a "ballerina" is or what the "Herkimer Hop" is when it comes to Herkimer Diamonds. These people-infused stories add a lot of color to the mineral collecting culture and that's why I put in my $.02.

I mean, who doesn't laugh when they hear the story about the origin of the Tiger, AZ name? Sure, these stories may not add a lot to the mineralogical knowledge of a collector but they sure are fun stories to share and that laughing and camaraderie is such a huge part of the soul of this hobby.

Again, just my $.02.

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2009 23:34    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

Again, you're right on John. Generally there is progression from simple texts to ones with a more scientific bent. I started out with books that were given to me by Bill Hiss, when he was an undergraduate at the University of Oklahoma in Norman. He gave me: 1) A POCKET HANDBOOK OF MINERALS by G. Montague Butler, Colorado School of Mines, 1908. This one's not around anymore, but hey. 2) Field Book of Common Rocks and Minerals by Frederick Brewster Loomis (Amherst), 1923. This one's not a common one either. And finally, he gave me ROCKS AND ROCK MINERALS by Louis V. Pirsson (Yale, 1925). These were OK, but ROCKS AND ROCK MINERALS by Richard M. Pearl (he autographed mine for me) and of course Pough's Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals were the ones I used the most as a kid.
Later, as my education advanced, I used Sinkankas' MINERALOGY: A First Course, and Berry and Mason's MINERALOGY. The ultimate references though, are Dana's Textbook Of Mineralogy (by Dana and Ford for the older editions), and Dana's System of Mineralogy. My older texts are filled with notes and marginalia.
One more book that greatly influenced me, one that really gave me inspiration and direction, is Paul Desautel's The Mineral Kingdom. The first of the "coffee table" books, it was the first book that was filled not only with sharp vivid colorful photographs of minerals, but also featured explanations and descriptions of many classic occurrences. Remember the chapters? "Gemstones: The Royal Line", "Mineral Masterpieces", and "The Collector". All great stuff. This is one of the "loaners" I have to give out to anyone who is a beginning collector. I have several copies in order to do so.
Later, if the passion takes hold (say, like Gail Spann), then the usual recommendations can be made. "Subscribe to the Mineralogical Record, Rocks & Minerals, Rock and Gem (Bob Jones' articles are great!), LAPIS, and maybe even Mineral News.
"Buy and use a good mineral book". Now who was it who said that I wonder?

Tracy

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2009 09:03    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

If I may put in my own $0.02 - Bryan, you are closer to the mark than you realize. My line of thinking was this: people get hooked on minerals coming from all kinds of disciples and with all types of interests; which books helped them the most? So, the question I pose extends to crystallography, geology, mines/mining history, and anything else refelective of one's background that connected them to minerals - not limited to mineralogy, though obviously the majority of recommendations will be on mineralogy. I concur with John that the fancy coffee-table books aren't ideal places for beginners to start, but if, for example, I got interested in minerals because I became fascinated by the history of Planet Earth and how it came to be, it would be great to know where to turn for literary guidance, remember the idea is to build the "ultimate" library!...of course, this makes the whole topic extremely broad (e.g., some people started out being interested in regional minerals) so I'm happy to stick to mineralogy texts if that is the preference of FMF. For now I'm making notes on which books are missing in my own library, and enjoying your posts. I hope Alice is benefiting from them too :-)

Hopefully that was more helpful than confusing...

- Tracy

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2009 09:00    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

Awfulest? So much for having a Ph.D. Here are the books I have found most helpful.

"Mineralogy for Amateurs" by John Sinkankas
"Rocks and Minerals" by Herbert S. Zim
"Field Guide to Rocks and Minerals" by Fred Pough
"The Mineral Kingdom" by Paul Desautels
"Encyclopedia of Minerals"
"Gem and Mineral Treasures" by Peter Bancroft
Of course Rocks and Gems, Rocks and Minerals and the Mineralogical Record

As a young collector I did a lot of educational exhibits for competition at our annual state fair. The first two books were invaluable for information that was translated into educational exhibits.

These are the books I would recommend to a beginner. The only problem with the last three is they are out of print and probably more expensive than current books like "American Mineral Treasures".

Tracy

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2009 09:20    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

Curious - for the Desautels book, I found editions circa 1968-72 for as little as a penny, but for other years the price rapidly escalates. Any idea why?

It's also worth mentioning that the Pough book might be more readily recognized as one of the Petersen's Field Guide series. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I own a copy, and yes, it has been a HUGE help with learning about and identifying specimens.

- Tracy

rhodos

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2009 10:56    Post subject: Re: Creating the ultimate library for beginner collectors  

I'm a total newbie to mineral collecting, though I did do my undergraduate thesis in metamorphic petrology. The book that I came to again and again while looking at thin sections was Deer Howie & Zussman's An Introduction to the Rock-Forming Minerals. Though technical, it's a great reference book for in the field or sorting through specimens. And if it doesn't offer enough info, the four (or five) volume expanded set seems fairly comprehensive, in my humble opinion. I really am a fan of the simple line drawings that accompany each mineral name, illustrating clearly the crystal form.
Jesse

Index -> Mineralogical Literature   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: