We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
21 Sep-19:40:46 The mizunaka collection - dioptase (Am Mizunaka)
21 Sep-19:04:15 Re: large rocks on our property (Mattd925)
21 Sep-18:32:04 Re: large rocks on our property (Josele)
21 Sep-17:06:44 Re: native iron (Jordi Fabre)
21 Sep-15:14:10 Re: large rocks on our property (Mattd925)
21 Sep-15:05:42 Re: large rocks on our property (Nova2000)
21 Sep-14:55:50 Large rocks on our property (Mattd925)
21 Sep-14:25:43 Re: fluorite uk (Kevin Schofield)
21 Sep-11:19:09 Re: fluorite uk (Jesse Fisher)
21 Sep-10:44:46 Re: fluorite uk (Tobi)
21 Sep-09:41:07 Re: royal cornwall museum mineral gallery - your support is needed (Robert Seitz)
21 Sep-09:13:24 Lightning stones (R Saunders)
21 Sep-08:09:43 Re: fluorite uk (Andy Lawton)
21 Sep-07:52:38 Re: roadside geology of vermont (Tobi)
21 Sep-06:19:34 Fluorite uk (Mathias)
21 Sep-02:27:40 Re: minerals of the english midlands (James)
21 Sep-02:24:08 Minerals of the english midlands (James)
21 Sep-01:03:21 Re: collection of heimo hellwig (Heimo Hellwig)
20 Sep-17:56:56 Re: roadside geology of vermont (Nellsrocks)
20 Sep-14:13:30 Re: royal cornwall museum mineral gallery - your support is needed (Robert Seitz)
20 Sep-12:09:47 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
20 Sep-09:12:37 Re: collection of michael shaw (Crosstimber)
19 Sep-12:29:13 Re: royal cornwall museum mineral gallery - your support is needed (Robert Seitz)
19 Sep-05:27:22 Re: franjungle collection (Franjungle)
18 Sep-15:30:45 Re: unidentified vitreous stone (Joie Geurts)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Sep 21, 2018 22:56

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Beginner Mineral Searching and Favorite Mineral Advice Needed!

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

meowtrageous11

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2018 21:40    Post subject: Beginner Mineral Searching and Favorite Mineral Advice Needed!  

Hi all! New to the forum and looking for advice on a few things from more experienced mineral collectors.
1. Best U.S. places to go for mineral mining (of any kind - quartz, calcite, special minerals of your liking)? I'm looking to take a road trip or two this year between semesters and would like to find some of my own minerals - i love the idea of a hunt! Also, any advice on locating or spotting deposits? (Things to look for, typical signs and locations of deposits, etc.)

2. What is your favorite mineral? I love minerals with unique crystal structures and am looking for one with such structures (fluffy okenite, hexagonal vanadanite, octahedral fluorite, etc).

Thanks for your input!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2018 02:01    Post subject: Re: Beginner Mineral Searching and Favorite Mineral Advice Needed!  

meowtrageous11 wrote:
1. Best U.S. places to go for mineral mining (of any kind - quartz, calcite, special minerals of your liking)? I'm looking to take a road trip or two this year between semesters and would like to find some of my own minerals - i love the idea of a hunt! Also, any advice on locating or spotting deposits? (Things to look for, typical signs and locations of deposits, etc.)

Best and easiest would be to contact with some (or both) of the two mineralogical groups of Texas ( http://www.rockngem.com/club-listings/ ) :

Dallas Gem & Mineral Society
P.O. Box 742033
Dallas, TX 75374-2033

Houston Gem & Mineral Society
10805 Brooklet
Houston, TX 77099
(281) 530-0942

meowtrageous11 wrote:
2. What is your favorite mineral? I love minerals with unique crystal structures and am looking for one with such structures (fluffy okenite, hexagonal vanadanite, octahedral fluorite, etc).

Please check: Favourite mineral species/families? and Favourite Minerals

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2018 20:17    Post subject: Re: Beginner Mineral Searching and Favorite Mineral Advice Needed!  

I suggest concentrating your preliminary collecting focus on sulphide and arsenide minerals. It is still possible to acquire some first-rate display worthy minerals in the small-cabinet to cabinet size if you focus on galena, pyrite, chalcopyrite, sphalerite and others. There are some absolutely stunning sulphide minerals with great aesthetics coming from localities like Trepca, Bulgaria, Morocco and others. Some very nice and affordable minerals like gersdorffite and skutterudite are now abundant from some Moroccan mines. You will be able to obtain some specimens that are equal to those you might find in any Museum, and often for less than $1000USD or even $250USD. As a general rule calcite, fluorite, silicates and other similar minerals often attract high prices.

The other suggestion is to learn how to trim and prepare minerals. This way you will develop the skills to enhance what might otherwise be considered just a mediocre piece.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with your adventures.

meowtrageous11

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2018 11:11    Post subject: Re: Beginner Mineral Searching and Favorite Mineral Advice Needed!  

Recovering - Academic wrote:
I suggest concentrating your preliminary collecting focus on sulphide and arsenide minerals. It is still possible to acquire some first-rate display worthy minerals in the small-cabinet to cabinet size if you focus on galena, pyrite, chalcopyrite, sphalerite and others. There are some absolutely stunning sulphide minerals with great aesthetics coming from localities like Trepca, Bulgaria, Morocco and others.

Those are great subsections to look in! I actually have a few chalcopyrite specimens, and my general collection consists of fluorite, celestite, dogtooth calcite, and some other little ones. I've added pictures of a few I currently have. I feel like they're pretty amateur compared to the beautiful specimens I see on auction, but it's a start! My sweet spot is vanadanite currently (I actually have a specimen from Morocco, like you mentioned!), but I'll look into the others in that group! I've also never thought about the cleaning-curating side of finding my own minerals. I'll do some research on that as well.

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Best and easiest would be to contact with some (or both) of the two mineralogical groups of Texas.

I did some research into the links you offered, and found some shows that offer information about the things I was curious about! Thanks for the suggestion.

IMG_3891.JPG
 Mineral: Vanadinite
 Locality:
Morocco
 Dimensions: 3.5 x 3 x 2 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  171 Time(s)

IMG_3891.JPG

IMG_3898.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Description:
 Viewed:  171 Time(s)