We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 01:05

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Favourite Fluorites?
  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
  Index -> Favourite Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tobi
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 12:23    Post subject: Favourite Fluorites?  

According to the fact that fluorite is always one of the most favoured minerals for many collectors, i would like to know what your favourite localities for this mineral are. I know that many of you love this mineral as much as i do and i would like to see where your favourite fluorites are from. When a mineral comes in such quantity and quality from many hundreds or thousands of locations from all over the world, it is hard to pick some special ones, but i think it's worth comparing our favourites. If i had to make a choice of the ten fluorite localities i like the most, i would pick:

- Erongo mountains, Namibia
- Rogerley Mine, England
- Blanchard Mine, New Mexico
- Freiberg, Saxony
- Wölsendorf, Bavaria
- Fluorspar district, Illinois
- Le Burg, France
- Berbes, Spain
- Dal'negorsk, Russia
- Mont Blanc, French Alps
- Nagar, Pakistan
Reply to topic Reply with quote

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 12:34    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

To which I would add

La Collada, Spain (especially Josefa Veneros)
Emilio, Spain

James

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 12:44    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Hello Tobias,
You mention a mixture of individual mines and mining districts. For example, the Southern Illinois Fluorspar District had many specimen-producing mines, including the Denton, Minerva #1, Annabel Lee to name a few. On the other hand, the Rogerley is only one of many mines that have produced very good specimens from the North Pennines Orefield, centered on the Weardale region of Northern England.

For obvious reasons, I have a certain fondness for the Rogerley. However, I think the Boltsburn Mine produced by far the most spectacular fluorite specimens to come from the region, and perhaps ranks (in my mind, at least) as one of the world's premiere locations for the mineral. Unfortunately, the mine closed in 1931. Another North Pennines location, the Rotherhope Fell mine also produced some spectacular specimens in the 1920s and 1930s. It's production was nowhere near that of the Boltsburn mine and it remains a relatively known location to collectors outside the UK.

Cheers,
Jesse

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 12:59    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

An example below of a fine (although not typical) Fluorite from La Collada, Filón Josefa-Veneros, as well as an other example of an unusual Fluorite from Berbes (Coquera del Liso)

Fluorite La Colllada - Filon Josefa-Veneros.jpg
 Description:
Unusual Fluorite from La Collada, Filón Josefa-Veneros, Asturias, Spain
Mined about 1974
Photo: Reference Specimens -> http://www.fabreminerals.com/specimens/RSSFL-spanish-fluorite-notable-specimens.php#B9RH2
 Viewed:  80253 Time(s)

Fluorite La Colllada - Filon Josefa-Veneros.jpg

Fluorta Berbes - La Coquera del Liso.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite from "La Coquera del Liso" pocket in Berbes, Asturias, Spain
Mined in 1993
Photo: Reference Specimens -> http://www.fabreminerals.com/specimens/RSSFL-spanish-fluorite-notable-specimens.php#LAF40
 Viewed:  80165 Time(s)

Fluorta Berbes - La Coquera del Liso.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 13:02    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Hello Jesse, i know that the district in Illinois consists of many different mines and localities. But i used this imprecise description consciously because i like the fluorites from there generally, no matter if they come from the Annabel Lee Mine or the Minerva Mine. It's the same with the German localities Freiberg and Wölsendorf: Both consist of many different mines and district and produce a lot of different fluorites. And, for example, i like Freiberg fluorites no matter which mine they come from and if they are yellow, orange, green, black or blue ...

Glück auf!
Tobias

Namfluro

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 13:21    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Here a fair colored fluorite from the Erongo Mountain with some Muscovite.
Until date Erongo still delivers some of the most amazing and different fluorite finds in Namibia. Pictured specimen is approx. 4x3cm in size / end 2007.

Regards from Namibia

DSC06328.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  79935 Time(s)

DSC06328.JPG

Namfluro

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 13:24    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Some lovely but different Fluorites from the Erongo Mountains. Great color variety and a different shape to some of the standard fluorites found at Erongo. The 2 pieces fit together perfectly - but were found apart and also bought from different people! :) 6 x 6 cm

DSC04439.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  79893 Time(s)

DSC04439.JPG

DSC04438.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  79910 Time(s)

DSC04438.JPG

DSC04437.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  79946 Time(s)

DSC04437.JPG

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 13:30    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Two more fabulous fluorite localities to add to the list:

Obira mine, Japan
Huanzala mine, Peru

Joan Kureczka

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 14:10    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Jesse Fisher wrote:
For obvious reasons, I have a certain fondness for the Rogerley. However, I think the Boltsburn Mine produced by far the most spectacular fluorite specimens to come from the region, and perhaps ranks (in my mind, at least) as one of the world's premiere locations for the mineral. Unfortunately, the mine closed in 1931. Another North Pennines location, the Rotherhope Fell mine also produced some spectacular specimens in the 1920s and 1930s. It's production was nowhere near that of the Boltsburn mine and it remains a relatively known location to collectors outside the UK.Jesse

Ah.... you forgot the Hilton Mine.

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 15:04    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

By the way, the original list of 10 localities must have been a metric list because there were 11.

I would add the following localities:

Naica, Chihuahua, Mexico
Elmwood mine, Carthage, Tennessee

Joan Massagué

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 15:30    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

I would add:
Chumar Bakhoor, Hunza Valley, Pakistan
Shangbao, Yaogangxian, and Xianghualin, all in Hunan, China

Montanpark

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 16:51    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Hi all,
i would like to add El Hammam, Taourirt, Oumlaab/Erfoud and Tounfit from Morocco ... i love fluos too (@Tobias: in Germany i like Clara Mine and Rottleberode too),

cheers
Roger

P.S. attached a Okoruso, Namibia fluo

okoruso-2-1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  79780 Time(s)

okoruso-2-1.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 17:38    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Hi Roger, Clara Mine is indeed great (not only for fluorites, of course), and the Moroccan localities you mention are also fine, especially El Hamam.

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 18:07    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

A very good question you posed, Tobias, and obviously one that people were eager to make some comments on. Fluorite is a good mineral for this kind of a question, and obviously, there are a number of aspects about which one can debate, what qualifies the localities to be "the favorite" (color, crystal perfection, abundance, variety, and so on). Thinking about it a while (and peeking at your own list and the other comments), perhaps my own list of 10 could be,

Hardin County, Illinois
Mont Blanc/Chamonix, France
China (various localities!)
Huanzala, Peru
Weardale, Durham, England
Okorusu, Namibia
Berbes, Asturias, Spain
Blanchard mine, Bingham, New Mexico
Riemvasmaak, Northern Cape Province, South Africa
Castleton, Derbyshire, England

It's a cop-out to just say "China", but without consulting references I wouldn't feel qualified to attempt to name (or, to spell!) the numerous good locallities there. And I thought I'd add Derbyshire for its classic occurrence of banded fluorite, even if not known for fine crystals.

I was pleased to see that you, Tobias, had the Blanchard mine on your list, because I would also rate it such, but when one has close proximity and familiarity with a locality, it's hard to be certain if you are judging it objectively, or over-rating it because of your personal interest. For a #11 on my list, another "local" locality that I'd consider, are the occurrences of purple fluorite at Pine Canyon, West Burro Mountains, Grant County, New Mexico.

Cheers, Pete Modreski

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 02:11    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

At this point, I think that to avoid this thread become chaotic, the best to do would be that someone take charge of it and organize it. I can't do it because currently I'm overwhelmed with my (too) multiple obligations ;-)

Tobias, as you proposed the topic, could you please take charge of it? If yes, please control the evolution of the thread, prepare a list when you suppose that the arrivals of new localities are enough, publish the definitive list and then collect the votes of FMF members. I suggest to use "mp" to send the votes in order don't fill the Forum with the votes of every member, and I also suggest to vote 5 localities in order of priority, then Tobias should just cross the votes to get the final result.

How do you think Tobias? Of course if some other member want to take charge of it or collaborate with Tobias, it would be great. What I'm sure is that at this point we need a "thread capo"! ;-)

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 03:51    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Jordi, currently i'm also quite overwhelmed with completing my degree, so if everybody else wants to be the organizer of this thread - feel free to take this part ;-)

@Pete: I'm glad that there is someone else who appreciates the fluorites from Blanchard Mine, i just wonder why there are not much more. To me the blue fluorites on matrix from the Blanchard Mine are among the most beautiful in the world, together with the ones from Le Burg/France, which look quite simiilar.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 05:29    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

OK Tobias.

Someone can help and take charge of this thread?

Jordi

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 08:20    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Jordi, I don't know that we really need to organize this or necessarily to "vote" on which are the 5 or 10 best localities--it has just been interesting to share comments and perspectives, and some new photos, on what the favorite localities are.

Cheers, Pete

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 08:38    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Correct Pete, but following the initial idea of Tobias I believe that we can do both things and organize something more extended.
I had a talk with someone who generously will take on charge it, to see what happens.

Of course, everybody wishing add comments, perspectives, and/or some new photo to this thread, he/she will be more than welcome...

Peter

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 09:34    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

In Scandinavia we have a couple of fantastic fluorite localities as well, but most collectors never saw the best, as they are to be found in only a handful collections in the world.

Sweden: The Malmberget Mine, Gällivare, Lappland, Sweden produced perhaps the finest real emerald colored gem fluorite octahedrons. Crystals in general 1-3 cm in association with quartz crystals, stilbite xls , chalcopyrite xls, calcite xls, hematite xls and on. These came from upper part of the mine, now mostly collapsed. The best pocket was discovered in 1982. Another pocket delivered light ice blue octahedrons on quartz w brilliant chalcopyrite crystals.
I have a couple of the very best in my collection. Very few collectors know of these and unfortunately there are very few specimens.

Norway: Kongsberg silver Mines, Buskerud Fylke. No mineral colelctor could be unaware of the magnificent wire silvers and crystals from here besides many other species. A few pockets of superb fluorites have also been encountered during mining. Shapes are from razor sharp octahedrons with edhe length to 10 cm to more complex forms and one rare interpenetration twin on calcite. Colors range from colorless to green to blueish and deep purple. Most good crystals are in European museums.

Booth these localities would classify among the top ten if judging quality (not quantity).

Of similar importance when it comes to octahedral fluorite are:

Chumar Bakhoor, Sumayar, Gilgit district, Northern Areas, Pakistan (as you all know also superb pink cubes! and spinell law twins as well as conbination xls occur) Largest pink flawless gem crystal was never shown ! and is "unknown".

Massif du Mont Blanc, France: Worlds finest RED fluorites to 15 cm besides marvelous pink octahedrons.

Zingenstock-Gerstenegg-Sommerloch in the AAr massif of Switzerland. Pink and green octahedrons on clear and smoky quartz.

Göshenerthal- several clefts with superb pink octahedrons to large size (Planggenstock etc)

Cubes, interpenetration twins: England: in the northern Pennines also the Heights Mine (quarry) and the Blue Circle Cement Quarry.

Index -> Favourite Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 12
  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  

Jump to: